1Password Extension Helper is killing my battery

Options
rippz
rippz
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

Since upgrading to 1Password 7 it is killing my battery. The " 1Password Extension Helper" is always around 11% CPU usage when completely idle. It is even listed as "Apps using significant energy" all the time. Look at the average energy impact in the screenshot. It is using almost as much energy as Safari while browsing. And this is something that should take no energy at all when idle. Something is clearly wrong.I am only using Safari. No other Browser. App Store Version of 1P.

What I tried:
1. Reboot
2. Reinstall Safari Extenstion
3. Reinstall 1Password and deleting all agilebits Folders in ~/Library

When killing the process it comes back instantly with 11% cpu even when Safari is not running. I also attached a 1 minute time profile I did with instruments: https://nofile.io/f/Q8Qx5XXpSnF/1password_7.0.7.trace.zip

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rippz: Hmm. That's really strange. I pretty much never even close 1Password, and here it's at — no joke — 0.1% CPU and 0.1 energy impact (though I don't pretend to know what that means). Are you using 1Password with only a 1Password.com account? Or do you also have local vaults? What are the specs of the Mac you're using? Mine's fairly old and creaky, and I have energy issues with a lot of other apps, but so far not 1Password.

• rippz
    rippz
    Community Member
    Options

Believe me its a lot of impact. My Mac is HOT all the time. Specs:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
    2,4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

• rippz
    rippz
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to be fixed by rebooting. But the bug comes back after a while. It seems to be connected to another Bug I have since upgrading: 1Password looses the connection the Safari Extension. When this happens pressing my autofill shortcut only triggers a popup that tells me to install the extension (which is already installed). I can fix this by rebooting. Maybe this is the extension helper that loops while trying to connect to the extension?

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@rippz that is my suspicion as well. The 1Password Helper may be constantly retrying a connection buy failing.

Next time the high CPU usage comes back, we can try and diagnose this further.

If the high CPU usage occurs again, please create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93983/1password-extension-helper-is-killing-my-battery#latest
    • Your forum username: rippz

That way we can “connect the dots” when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :smile:

Once we see the diagnostics, we’ll be able to better assist you. Thank you very much!

• rippz
    rippz
    Community Member
    Options

It took some time but now it is happening again. I just sent the email.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rippz - great, thanks -- well, I mean, I guess it's NOT so great, but you know what I mean: thanks for sending that in. One of us will be with you shortly.

ref: NDG-18446-383

• Dr_GT
    Dr_GT
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Extension Helper is taking up 15 to 20 % of CPU time (on 2018 MacBook Pro) even after a restart. It keeping my Mac hot and consuming battery life! Restarting doesn't help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Dr_GT! I'm sorry for the issues with your battery just now. To get a better look at what might be going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject Line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#FMM-94541-743]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Dr_GT only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: FMM-94541-743

• AbinSur
    AbinSur
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

This is happening to me too. On my 2014 iMac. I'm running the diagnostic report as I type this. I'll send an email when it's done, but I'm happy to wait for an ID.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AbinSur - before we go through that entire process, let me take a shot in the not-so-dark here: do you run your Mac with Fast User Switching enabled, and both 1Password and Safari (or other browsers) open in a second user account on your Mac? If so, that will almost certainly be the problem. I recommend you either not have multiple Mac user accounts open simultaneously, or -- if you must -- make sure to close out of 1Password completely as well as your browser -- Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).

• AbinSur
    AbinSur
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Yes, that sounds like my situation, as this is a family machine used by three different people throughout the day. I can try that, but, is that scenario expected to improve? Is this considered a bug?

• Thanks for the update. It will be improved with Safari 12 / macOS Mojave. :+1:

Ben

• @AbinSur,

and to add to Ben's comment, specifically the combination of Safari 12 and 1Password 7.2 is what will be needed. Mojave less so.

• drlee123
    drlee123
    Community Member
    Options

I too am noticing 1password 7.2.2 using Significant Energy with Safari 12.0.1. Wondering what if anything I can do?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @drlee123! I'm sorry for the trouble. Are you also using 1Password in multiple user accounts on the same Mac, open at the same time?

• drlee123
    drlee123
    Community Member
    Options

No, just myself

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drlee123 - have you restarted your Mac recently and observed what happens in this matter after a restart? If not, please do that now. If so, what do you notice upon restart? After a little while?

• drlee123
    drlee123
    Community Member
    Options

I have restarted. Since it is not a constant item, what would you like me to capture (and how) the next time it occurs?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drlee123 - so, if it's not happening right now, then yes, let's wait until you get it again. At that point, note the time, and please create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/479379/#Comment_479379
    • Your forum username: @drlee123

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I'm seeing the problem with 1Password 7.3.3 and Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) 😞

Support ID #QFK-48293-168

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @odysseus. We've received your report and are in the process of reviewing it. We'll get back to you via email as soon as we have more.

Ben

• DM12
    DM12
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same problem described in this thread. While searching online I went from a full charge to low battery warning in an hour.

• Hi @DM12

The next time this happens, while 1Password is consuming a lot of energy, please send us a process sample and a diagnostic report. To create a diagnostic report from your Mac:

To generate the process sample:

1. Open the Activity Monitor application (you can use Spotlight to find it) and search for "1Password Extension Helper," if that is the process that is consuming a lot of energy. If it is the "1Password 7" process then please search for that instead.
    2. Select the appropriate process in the list and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    3. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.

Attach the diagnostics and sample to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93983/1password-extension-helper-is-killing-my-battery#latest
    • Your forum username: DM12

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Ben

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Still haven't heard back

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@odysseus - you haven't? Ben replied to you on August 28. Did you not receive it? Please check your email program's Spam or Bulk folders; sometimes overzealous junk filters can mark emails from us as Spam (the nerve! ;) ).

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem but at a rate of 2.5 Energy Impact all of the time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jinwai:

Have you sent us a diagnostics report already, based on Ben's post above?

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent "Sample Process" according to Ben's post just now. Not yet get the Support ID reply. So I will wait.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @jinwai! :+1: :)

Please keep us posted.

This discussion has been closed.