1Password X and Stand-Alone License

Hello,
I would like to use 1 Password X with my Linux machine. Currently on my Mac I am using 1Password with a standalone license, syncing my vaults from Mac to iPhone via Dropbox.

Am I able to use 1 Password X with this type of license/syncing model? I saw a Master Key Login field in 1password X and I think I don't have that one, when I use a standalone license, have I?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hello @elbsurfer,

Thanks for asking about 1Password X. Unlike our other apps, 1Password X requires a 1Password membership. Since it's a browser extension without an accompanying desktop app, it connects directly to the 1Password.com service to power all of its features.

You may be interested in our promotional offer for Linux users which we launched a couple weeks back. We want to give people in your situation the opportunity to thoroughly test 1Password X along with a 1Password membership and see if it's a good fit. I hope you check it out. :)

Mitch

• toidiu
    toidiu
    Community Member

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Is there anyway to use a standalone version on linux? I have a standalone version I bought for Mac.

• Hi @toidiu

I'm not aware of any plans at this point for a standalone offering on Linux. We'd be happy to help you get upgraded to a 1Password membership though, which does have support for Linux through our web app, 1Password X browser extension, and CLI application (beta).

Ben

• toidiu
    toidiu
    Community Member

@Ben thanks, my setup includes syncing to a local network storage(yes arcane :P) and I would love to keep that work flow so the cloud solution doesn't work.

I was wondering about two things:

• is it possible to use 1pass 6 with Wine (I saw mentions of 4 but not 6)
    • is it possible to access all functionality of 1pass 6 using the linux CLI tool? (is the tool included with the 6 standalone license?)
    • are there any other solutions that you can suggest?
  • The CLI tool similarly requires a 1Password membership, @toidiu, so if that's not an option for you, the CLI won't be either.

Folks did use 1Password 4 for Windows under Wine, but that comes with some challenges today. A decent while back now, we swapped from using a websocket connection for the 1Password companion extension to communicate with the desktop app and now use native messaging. This is awesome from a security and stability perspective, but our native messaging support relies on Microsoft's .NET Framework, even in the older 1Password 4 for Windows, and though I've no direct experience, my understanding is .NET is a pain on Linux across the board. I have seen rumblings and whispers of folks getting it working under Wine all the same, but it's not something we can suggest or support so you'd be on your own getting filling to work. You would also be limited to Firefox, Opera, and Vivaldi for browsers since you won't have IE and 1Password 4 is no longer compatible with the latest Chrome. 1Password 6 for Windows was membership-only and 1Password 7 for Windows, though it supports standalone vaults, similarly requires the .NET Framework and more extensively than 1Password 4 to boot. I have heard no similar rumbling of 1Password 7 working under Wine at all.

So, short version? It can be done with 1Password 4 for Windows + Wine, but that setup is already a bit fraught and likely on its way to breaking entirely. If you want to try, I certainly won't stop you, but it may be a bit of an adventure so best to know what you're in for. 😅

• toidiu
    toidiu
    Community Member

Hmm, its a bit sad that the solution i will have to pursue is probably keepass.

Also not sure if i am correct in feeling this way: i feel a bit burned that the standalone product has taken a back seat, if not abandoned compared to the subscription product. When i purchased the license i expected the company would improve and build on its offerings and support not abandon its users.

A better, although maybe more difficult a path might have been to build out for both products rather than abandoning your users who bought the standalone version.

anyway thanks for your quick responses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@toidiu: I'm sorry you feel that way, but in fact we haven't "abandoned" anyone. We've continued supporting "standalone" for years in our native apps after introducing 1Password memberships. What we haven't done is build a brand new Linux native app, but that's not anything specific to "standalone". We've been focusing on 1Password X and the CLI app because those allow both Linux users and folks in many other environments to use 1Password. But 1Password memberships are what make those possible. I do hope we'll be able to do even more on Linux in the future though. :)

This discussion has been closed.