Location of 1Password mini on screen

This discussion was created from comments split from: Problems with 1Password Safari Extension.

Comments

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Running Mac OS 10.14.6 with a dual monitor setup. Whenever I click the 1PW extension icon in Safari to fill in username/password, instead of opening the extension right below the icon, as in all previous versions of 1PW extension, it now opens in my second monitor instead. Have tried restarting Mac OS & restarting Safari both multiple times and no matter what the extension pop-up ends up on the 2nd monitor.
    1) 1Password full window is open on the 2nd monitor & stays open there as long as I am logged on or not in screen saver/sleep.
    2) When I move the Safari window to the 2nd monitor, the extension opens directly under the toolbar icon as expected.
    3) Likewise if I move the open 1Password full window to the 1st monitor (Safari in 1st monitor too) it opens as expected.
    4) The same thing happens whether I'm running Safari, Firefox or Chrome.
    5) Have been running 1Password for years in this same type of configuration and the extension has ALWAYS opened directly under the toolbar icon no matter where the 1Password full window is open or the Safari window is open.

Is there some configuration item or setting I'm missing?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SecuritySam,

I can't think of a setting you're missing and unfortunately I'm not in the position to test at the moment. Normally I do have a second monitor but for the next while I'm limited to just the MacBook screen. Your description seems thorough so I imagine testing should be simple once possible. I have just a couple of questions if that's okay.

1. What version of 1Password are you running?
    2. Do you observe the correct behaviour if 1Password does not have an open window?
  • SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

1) Version is 7.3.3 (beta), but it's been that way on every version since I upgraded to 7.x
    2) Same behavior except that it asks me for the password on the 2nd monitor, then opens 1 password mini on the 2nd monitor.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SecuritySam,

So just to clarify your answer to 2, what happens if 1Password does not have an open window, you click on the 1Password button in Safari and it opens up the 1Password mini unlock window on monitor 2, I assume connecting it to the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar and once you unlock 1Password it shifts to monitor 1 where Safari is?

As a follow-up question, what happens if 1Password is unlocked with no open window? Does 1Password mini appear on the right monitor or is it still doing something funky?

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Sorry for the delayed response...
    Yes, the unlock window opens on monitor 2, then opens the 1password window w/ the option to "autofill" on monitor 2 as well. It never moves to the monitor on which Safari is i.e. monitor 1.

Re: your follow-up question:
    Yes, still does not open on monitor 1, tired that a while back

• @SecuritySam

Now it is our turn to apologize for the delayed response. Sorry about that. Please try this for me:

1. Open Safari
    2. Open the 1Password extension
    3. Drag the extension window to the 1Password icon in the menu bar on monitor #1 (the left monitor; where you want it)
      When you get the window close to the 1Password icon you should see it "snap" to the icon
      Stop dragging it when it "snaps"
    4. Close the extension window
    5. Re-open the extension window

Does the extension then open on monitor #1?

I recorded a video showing me doing this. For some reason the recording software I'm using can't record across two monitors, but it would look the same, dragging from one monitor to the other instead of from the middle of the same monitor:

https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/tmp/ben/20190916dr5z3.mp4

Ben

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Hi Ben-
    Tried this several times all with the same results. Tried dragging the extension window to the system (Apple) menu bar icon, it snaps as described, but after I close the extension and try opening the extension again, it always opens on the second monitor. Tried it after a fresh start of Safari (does the same thing on Firefox too BTW if I haven't mentioned that before), or with a window that had been open awhile. Tried with with 1Password open on the 2nd monitor & with it closed. Interestingly, the "snap" pointer, for lack of a better word, shows up with the extension window on the 2nd monitor pointing directly up. It isn't close to the 1Password system menu bar icon on the 2nd monitor either.
    Am I the only one having this kind of issue?
    If so, could there be some corrupted, or damaged config file somewhere on my system, which is making this happen ONLY on my system?

Sorry for the delay in responding again... I just had major back surgery a couple of weeks ago, & while I was able to go "back to work" (I work from home) one week after the surgery, it wiped me out pretty badly that week. Between that & not being able to get more that 2-3 hours of sleep a night, I just wasn't fit to be trying anything after about 4:00 or 5:00 PM when I got off work.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SecuritySam: No worries. Thanks for following up. Hopefully all went as well as could be expected, but that's gotta really take a lot out of you no matter what. Better to take it easy :+1:

Indeed, we haven't had other reports like this. You could certainly try removing 1Password completely and setting it up fro scratch -- just be sure you have all of your data backed up first, so you can get everything back. One context in which we see some odd issues is with permissions being off on some of 1Password's files, usually due to having restored from Time Machine or copy over using Migration Assistant. Where do you have your data currently? Is it in a 1Password membership account?

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Sorry for another VERY LONG delay, was addressing other unexpected health issues.

1Password is installed on my Mac only, i do not have a membership account

Ok, back in December i received a new 16" maxed-out (except for storage) Macbook Pro... whoohoo!! Used the migration assistant to migrate from the older Macbook Pro, and unfortunately the problem is the issue with the 1PW mini window always showing up on the right-most monitor is still there. With VERY RARE exceptions, it persists after reboot. Once, maybe twice it went back to normal, but once i had to reboot again, it went right back. Found that to be strange as well. Could there be some kind of timing issue about when 1PW is getting auto-started after a reboot?

Would really like to get this fixed ASAP as it is becoming more & more annoying... should i go ahead and do a full backup, uninstall 1PW 7 completely, then restore? If that might possibly get this working again, that would be wonderful! Would you please describe the steps needed to complete that process, or point me to where they exist on the support/help site? If there are other potential ways to correct this short of a full backup/uninstall/install/restore data, i would be VERY HAPPY to try those first!!

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SecuritySam:

Before reinstalling 1Password, you could try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password. Do you see the same behavior afterwards?

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Yes, same issue. The first time i get the popup after a reboot or stop/start of 1pw, the popup is at the leftmost edge of the 2nd monitor. All subsequent popups are in the middle of the 2nd monitor. Not sure if that makes any difference or not, but thought i'd just throw it out there.

So what are the steps to backup/complete uninstall/reinstall/restore 1pw standalone?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SecuritySam:

So what are the steps to backup/complete uninstall/reinstall/restore 1pw standalone?

Are you currently syncing your data somewhere?

• SecuritySam
    SecuritySam
    Community Member

Yes, using DropBox...

• Please try these instructions to reinstall:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.