Cannot get 1Password on iPhone to recognize 1password set up on PC (Windows 10)

agaldos
agaldos
Community Member
edited September 2019 in iOS

I have managed to install 1Password on my PC (Windows 10) and my iPhone XR. However, when I enter a newly generated password into the PC and then, using the iPhone app, try to open it on the iPhone it doesn't recognize the newly created PC password. It asks me if I want to generate a new one (I tried that earlier and that really didn't work - I got locked out of TicketMaster - still am locked out of there, so I don't want to try that. When I reveal the password on the phone, it shows the old one (prior to having 1Password change it). So it's not recognizing the new one from the PC. How do I solve this problem? I am a new user and so far I haven't been able to add a single password and I've been trying for 2 days. I am not a computer novice. Is there someone I can talk to? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot get 1Password on iPhone to recognize !password set up on PC (Windows 10)

Comments

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I set up a login through 1Password on the PC (Windows 10). Then I opened the app on my iPhone. It generated a new password. After 5 tries I am locked out. It doesn't seem to remember the password from the PC to the iPhone app. I am a new user so I am sure I am doing something wrong. Please advise. Thanks. One more thing. Every time I set up the password on Ticketmaster, Ticketmaster tells me I need to update the password. I tried adding a new account to start over and it tells me I already have an account and to change the password. I am in a hopeless loop.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

One more thing. I selected Autofill on the iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agaldos!

Are both 1Password apps using the same vault? What do you see under 1Password Preferences > Vaults > Vault for Saving on both your Windows PC and your iPhone XR?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos:

I have replied to you in the other discussion you have created, since the issue seems to be the same. Let's keep everything in one place ;)

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thank you so much for responding. How in the world can I find my way to 1Password Preferences? I've looked everywhere and I don't see how to get it on my PC. What am I missing? I so want this to work but I'm having a terrible time getting started. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos:

On PC you can click on the 1Password entry in the title bar of the app:

Can you see it in your app too?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thanks for hanging with me. I think I see the problem. I can't see a title bar on the PC or on the iPhone. How do I show the title bar? What I see on the PC is just a box. At the top it says suggestions and all the way to the right is the gear box, but I am not seeing what you are showing. How do I show the title bar? I think that's my problem. Thanks.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I am using Firefox. I simply can't find that pesky title bar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@agaldos: Could you please clarify what you are seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Ana's screenshot is of 1Password for Windows, since you mentioned you're using a PC.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thank you so much for responding. How in the world can I find my way to 1Password Preferences? I've looked everywhere and I don't see how to get it on my PC. What am I missing? I so want this to work but I'm having a terrible time getting started. Thanks again.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I'm having trouble figuring out how to take a screen shot in one of the formats that you accept. I put a copy in a Word doc but you don't seem to accept the .docx format. It doesn't look like the png format is going to work either. It shows up as follows below. Is there a way I can send the one-page word doc with the screen on it?

I just tried to install SnagIt and it gave me Setup Error 1406 which tells me it can't write Value Stamps to key. So unhelpful and so frustrating!

What I am seeing is the 1Password main screen without the title bar. Without the title bar I can't get to preferences and without preferences it seems I can't tell it to recognize my iPhone. I think that's my problem.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Terrific - it seems that it took the png! That's what I am seeing. Where's the title bar and how do I get to it? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos: Thanks! You'r on a web page in your web browser, not in a 1Password app. So there's no app menu/title bar in that case, as you aren't using one. You can install it from the "Get the Apps" page in your account profile there (under your name in the upper right.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

[removed by 1Password staff; this is a public forum]

I installed the app in the Firefox extension. Is this enough or is there something else I need to install?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Ignore the above - this is what I meant to show you

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

This screen shot shows the app running in Firefox. What else do I need to do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos:

Now you need to download the 1Password desktop app for Windows and install it. You can download it from here.

Right now you installed the 1Password browser extension (and you can use that exclusively if you prefer), but if you want to reach the Preferences settings I mentioned in my post above, you will be able to do it from the desktop app after installing it :)

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Wow - thanks. I downloaded the Windows app but I still don't see Preferences!

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I clicked on 1Password in the screen shot above. Where are the Preferences? Sooo close. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos: it's the Settings entry, the 4th one in that menu ;)

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Is this the correct setting for it to use the PC and iPhone and have everything sync on both platforms?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Also, if I add additional vaults do I need to make any changes to them so that they too sync on both platforms?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos:

Perfect! That is the correct vault on your PC :) Is it the same vault that your iPhone is also using? You can also check it under the Settings in the iPhone app (open 1Password on your iPhone, and you will see the Settings icon on the bottom of the screen).

Also, if I add additional vaults do I need to make any changes to them so that they too sync on both platforms?

No, the good thing about 1Password.com is that, once your devices are configured to use the same 1Password account, every vault that you create on one device will automatically appear on every other device :)

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

OMG - I think I might be there. Thank you so much for all your help. I chose to sync with iCloud on my iPhone. That should do it? (Please say yes).

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I must be the slowest learner ever. I went to the PC and let 1PAssword change my existing password to Orbitz. Then I went to the iPhone (both through Safari and through the app) and it's asking me to enter the password. I don't see any 1Password suggestion pop up. Now that I've changed it to a long secure password on the PC, how to I get the iPhone to recognize that?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@agaldos

If you are given the option to sync your phone vault with iCloud, then your phone is not connected to the proper vault. Open 1Password on your phone, tap the categories button at the bottom and then the icon in the top left (it will be either a 1Password icon or a rainbow circle). A list of vaults will be there. In that list, is the vault called Primary or Personal, or are both listed?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Both are listed. Which one should I choose? Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@agaldos Personal is the one you should be using. That Primary vault should not be there at all. If there is nothing important in it, you should delete it entirely as it is not associated with your membership. Tap Settings>Vaults>Primary>Delete Vault.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thank you. Maybe that was the problem. I will continue trying to make this work. I really really want to use this product!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos: Also, the last part of the migration guide will help you "Set up your other devices" -- both your iPhone, and any others you might have:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

That way you've got each using only your 1Password account, so you'll have the same setup across all of them to access your data on any one going forward. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.