Import getting stuck

Options
dgold105
dgold105
Community Member

Am on the 7.3.3 Mac Beta and running Catalina. When I try to import a .1pif file it is getting stuck at 63 of 2289 items. I've left it for half an hour and it remains stuck. I tried reverting to 7.3.2 but the problem persisted. Any idea what I can do?

1Password Version: 7.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgold105: That sounds like the export file is damaged. Where is it from? It may be better to go to the source instead.

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member
    Options

I am exporting the data from one account (dropbox) and importing it into another (my.1password). Am exporting by Selecting all items and exporting as 1pif file. Then am importing using Import…Other…1pif.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgold105: Don't do that. Items can be copied from one vault to another. But, more importantly, we've built an automated migration process into 1Password to do all of that for you, moving your existing data to a 1Password membership account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

No need to do things the hard way. :)

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member
    Options

I only do it that was as the 1pw membership account doesn't seem to download attachments automatically to my iOS device whereas the Dropbox one does so every few weeks I copy everything from one to the other. I maintain two identical 1pw vaults for that reason.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dgold105: "Attachments", which are part of another item and only used by local vaults (like one you may have been syncing using Dropbox), have a 5MB file size limit. The old vault format design doesn't allow for not downloading everything, so we capped it to avoid eating up everyone's data/bandwidth/storage.

"Documents", which are what 1Password membership accounts use, have no such limitations, and, as such, we're not having 1Password download all of them to all devices automatically, as that would be a huge problem for a lot of people. You can download them on demand, and they will remain in 1Password on your device unless deleted.

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks. I understand. Perhaps you could consider having an option somewhere to download all Documents so as not to have to go and manually select each one. Two questions:
    1. Is it preferable to have everything in a 1Password membership account rather than Dropbox?
    2. If I fully migrate over do I need to re-set up time based passwords or do these switch over?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK thanks. I understand. Perhaps you could consider having an option somewhere to download all Documents so as not to have to go and manually select each one.

@dgold105: You're very welcome! It's something we may add in the future. Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd appreciate. :)

Two questions:
    1. Is it preferable to have everything in a 1Password membership account rather than Dropbox?

I would say yes, for a few reasons:

• Convenience: With all your data in the 1Password membership account, any device you sign into your account on will have all your data. With data in a vault in Dropbox, you'd need to manually set that up on each device.
    • Confusion (reduction): You don't have to try to keep track of where your data is if it's all encrypted in your 1Password membership account.
    • Data loss (avoidance): All the encrypted data in your 1Password membership account is automatically backed up offsite, in your account on the server (including item history); so even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign into your account on a new one to get all the data in your 1Password membership account back.
    1. If I fully migrate over do I need to re-set up time based passwords or do these switch over?

If you have your TOTP secrets saved in Login items in 1Password so it generates the authentication codes for you, all you need to do is copy those items to a vault in your account and that will work the same way there as well. :)

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks. I appreciate the detailed responses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.