Why doesn't 1Pass 7 automatically load usernames and passwords into sites and login as well?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

When I began using 1Pass in 2014, 1Pass loaded the websites and automatically filled in the usernames and passwords. Then it also automatically logged in to the websites. This is no longer the case. At least for me, once I get to a website, I'm having to tap the name of the website in 1Pass 7 to make it load the usernames and passwords. Then I have to tap login myself.
Some websites don't cooperate with 1Pass 7 on Safari at all. Then I have to go to Firefox or another browser and load the info into the site myself.
Over the years I have found websites to be less cooperative with 1Pass in general and therefore more troublesome. For example, yesterday I was locked out of a well known website, and I had to call them only to find out their site would not work with Safari. I switched over to Firefox, and it worked only when I loaded the info myself. This is a real nuisance.
Is there any way to overcome this problem?
I only use one browser extension. Is there another one?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As I remember, when I upgraded to 1Password 7, I found that there were some changes in the preferences, Go to 1Password 7, then Preferences, then the Browsers tab and be sure that "Automatically sign in after filling username and password" is checked. I'm fairly cure that wasn't checked after I upgraded.

Here is a screenshot showing the option:

1Password has never filled credentials into a web page unless the user asks it to, usually with the keyboard shortcut, ⌘\ (= Command Backslash) What the option does is let the credentials, once filled into the appropriate fields on the web page, are submitted. But I expect you will already know that if you've been using the application since 2014.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@hawkmoth

The following appears when I check "automatically sign in after filling in usernames and passwords" in 1Pass 7 preferences:

Install the Select Scripts Folder to allow us to install the script needed to help submit logins. Should I go ahead and do that?

Otherwise the automatic sign in option unchecks itself every time I use it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Install the Select Scripts Folder to allow us to install the script needed to help submit logins. Should I go ahead and do that?

Yes.

Also, whar @jazzman is referring to is that when 1Password is first unlocked, if will offer you the correct record for your credentials, but it won't actually fill and submit them. You'll either need to click on the record or hit return, if the correct record is highlighted. After the first time, it will be have correctly. There is a fix in the works, but I have no insight into the internal workings of the company, and they don't ever publish expected release times ahead of the actual release.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth

Thanks for the answer. Would you also please enlighten me about the use of 1Pass 7 mini? I'm just not sure of the value of that feature. Maybe I'm just missing something. Do you access it in the menu at the top? I've been fooling around with it. I'm not sure of its value.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Would you also please enlighten me about the use of 1Pass 7 mini?

I'm not sure I'm the best one to do this, but I am sure a support staffer from the company will be along to elaborate on what I'll say here.

Mini is a helper application, and without it, you would be able to automatically fill and submit your credentials on any web page. You would be left copying and pasting from the main application. You will also want to be sure you install the 1Password extension for your browser, for similar reasons. If you haven't installed the extension for your browser, go to the 1Password 7 menu and click on the option to "Install Browser Extension..." Installing the extension and having mini always running will let you use the keyboard shortcut (⌘\ = Command Backslash) when you are on a login page to automatically fill and submit your credentials.

(I see I mis-attributed @steve23094's comment about a "feature" to you. Apologies to @steve23094.)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth

It looks like I'm doing it right. Thanks for your help. Things look much better now.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

It's looking much better now. After installing the Select Scripts Folder, many of the logins go right to their websites. Plus now I've got Touch ID working on my iPhone. Good stuff.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman - glad to hear @hawkmoth was able to guide you through to a successful conclusion. :) Let us know what you think, or if you have any further issues. Cheers! :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

Things are in order now. I'm even using keyboard shortcuts. Having fun on 1Pass 7 now!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• macboulder
    macboulder
    Community Member
    Options

This is still a problem for me. I'm new to 1P 7, and 1P 6 used to prompt the correct login entry and PW for the site I went to. 1P 7 doesn't. When I go to my bank for example, I go to 1P mini Safari extension which opens fine, but it doesn't prompt the correct login entry. I have the added steps of searching for the correct login credential within 1P mini and then click the correct one from a short list and then click "Fill." I didn't used to have to do the search. Any way around this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macboulder! Welcome to the forum!

May I ask you why you are trying to do this in Mini rather than from the browser extension?

• macboulder
    macboulder
    Community Member
    Options

I thought mini was the name of the browser extension.

I got a reply from a support question I sent that solves the problem...
    "When you are on the website with a login saved in 1Password and click on the 1Password extension do you happen to see all of your items listed. If so, I think you might have the wrong option selected in 1Password preferences.
    Please open the 1Password app => Preferences => Mini => Open 1Password to => Suggestions"

I did this and now it does prompt the correct 1P entry for the URL that I am on.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @macboulder! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.