Window title bar appearance does not change when focus is lost

jamfour
jamfour
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac
  1. Open 1Password.app
  2. Note the appearance of the title bar
  3. Un-focus the window while keeping it visible, making it inactive (e.g., by switching to another application, or opening the application preferences)
  4. Expect: the title bar’s appearance to change, as built-in apps and most other apps do, to indicate the window does not have focus and is inactive . Actual: the title bar’s appearance is unchanged, making it unclear whether the window is active or not.

The default, idiomatic appearance behavior of windows on macOS should be preserved, as breaking with it is confusing. See also Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines § Window States, which 1Password does not adhere to.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jamfour! Welcome to the forum!

The title bar changes appearance for me if I follow your instructions. This is what it looks like when 1Password has focus:

And this is when I switch to another app:

So it looks like we are adhering to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines & Window States. Were you expecting a different behavior?

• jamfour
    jamfour
    Community Member

The “traffic light” and the text box are (correctly) changing appearance, however, the title bar itself does not (as shown in your screenshots). If another window is obscuring the left half of the 1Password.app window then there is no visible change.

As can be seen in the guidelines I linked, the default behavior is for the title bar to lighten in color and lose its gradient when inactive. This is the default behavior for a macOS window which 1Password is altering, providing confusing visual cues. Compare even with 1Password’s own Preferences window, which does behave correctly (or e.g. Finder, TextEdit, etc.).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jamfour! I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback and have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.