New family vault: need to upgrade to v7 to accept but setup not working

I've been using 1Password 4 on a Windows PC. Now my husband has created a family vault and invited me. In the process of accepting the invitation, I was told to upgrade. Downloaded the Setup file for version 7, but it won't run. I can see the family vault in the online version, but it doesn't have all my passwords in it. I can also access my old v.4 vault, but can't seem to complete the process of putting them together.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows X
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Carolimo! Welcome to the forum!

Downloaded the Setup file for version 7, but it won't run.

What happens exactly when you try to run it? Do you get an error message?

• Carolimo
    Carolimo
    Community Member

No error message. My cursor turns from an arrow into the circular "thinking" icon for about a second, then back into an arrow. Nothing opens or changes on the screen

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Carolimo,

Could you please try to download the installer from here? Does it work?

Let us know. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Carolimo
    Carolimo
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Yes, that worked - thank you!
    But now I have another problem: I logged in with the new version you sent, and am part of the family vault, but none of my passwords from version 4 are showing up in the new version. I still have the older version (v4) on my computer, and I can find what I think is my vault file on my laptop. I also have v.4 on my phone, and that talks to my computer just great with my previous set-up (synced via DropBox). How do I get everything updated without losing any passwords or syncing? Also, it looks like there's still an update to the version you sent me. At what point should I update that? Thank you

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Carolimo: Please agree and update to the latest version of 1Password 7, which is available to you. After that, you can import your items from your old local vault to your new account. Here is how:

1) Open and unlock 1Password 7 app on your PC.

2) Go to 1Password > Import.

3) Select Agile Keychain or OPVault folder option and find your old vault in Dropbox.

4) Enter the Master Password for that vault, select your Personal vault as the vault your data will be imported into and click Import.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Carolimo
    Carolimo
    Community Member

Ok, it worked! Thank you!

My version 4 app is still there on my computer... should I uninstall that?

• Once you're certain that everything has properly migrated to 1Password 7 and your new 1Password Families account, you definitely should uninstall 1Password 4 and reboot, @Carolimo. The two weren't designed to play nice together so having both on the same machine can sometimes lead to filling trouble. Removing 1Password 4 will ensure you don't run into this later and rebooting will make sure that 7 is able to properly take over your browser extensions so you don't have any troubles now. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.