Autofill, Is It Working Properly...

Options
Joelc
Joelc
Community Member

I am running 1Password on both macOS and Windows.

In macOS I am running Safari. When I press / select Autofill the Username and Password fields are populated BUT the "Sign-in" / "Login" button NEEDS to be pressed.

In Windows I am running Chrome. When I press / select Autofill the Username and Password fields are populated BUT the "Sign-in" / "Login" button DOES NOT NEED to be pressed.

Is the different behaviour I am experiencing OS related (i.e. macOS versus Windows) or is it browser related (i.e. Safari versus Chrome)? Is there a way to get Safari to work without needing to press the SIgn-In / Login buttons?

1Password Version: 7.3.3. Beta macOS / 7.3.705 Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@Joelc: Sorry for the confusion. 1Password for Windows has an "autosubmit" feature. It's not acceptable for Mac apps to send keystrokes to other apps, however, so that's not a feature we have there. 1Password can usually leave the password field focused though, and most websites will accept a Return keypress to submit it. Combined with using ⌘ \ to fill in the first place, that works more quickly and consistently than autosubmit.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I can't comment on the behavior on Windows, as I don't use it, but the Mac application used to work as you describe for Windows. Credentials were autofilled and automatically submitted without need to click on the submit button (or press Return, which I find easer than reaching for the mouse). But Apple made a change in the name of security that eliminated the option to allow applications to simulate pressing the submit button. 1Password 7 for Mac follows that change and does not submit the credentials it fills. You must press Return yourself to submit the credentials. I quickly adapted to this, since I normally initiate logging in to a site with CMD . The Return key on the Mac is immediately below the backslash. But I might find it confusing if I went back and forth between macOS and Windows.

There is a really long thread discussing this here in the forum, but I haven't tried to find it for you.

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, appreciate the fast response...two follow ups please:

1. Appreciate the clarification that macOS does not allow the same functionality. Can you please explain what you mean by the ⌘ \ keystroke because I am not following/ understanding.

2. I did some more testing and noting that within the Windows Environment the "autosubmit" feature is working with Chrome but not working with Brave. Is there a way to get it working with Brave?

@hawkmoth, thanks, much appreciated...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@hawkmoth: Thanks for the additional context! I'm glad you mentioned it, because I wanted to, but was having trouble keeping it as concise as you did. <3

appreciate the fast response...two follow ups please: Appreciate the clarification that macOS does not allow the same functionality. Can you please explain what you mean by the ⌘ \ keystroke because I am not following/ understanding.

@Joelc: Sure thing! When you're on a website login page for which you have a Login item saved in 1Password, you can use the "Fill Login" keyboard shortcut to fill your credentials -- ⌘ \ with 1Password for Mac; Ctrl \ with 1Password for Windows. If you have a single saved login for that site, that will just fill. If you have more than one, 1Password will show you a list of them so you can select the one you want. Really handy. :)

I did some more testing and noting that within the Windows Environment the "autosubmit" feature is working with Chrome but not working with Brave. Is there a way to get it working with Brave?

I can't explain that. It sounds like something's broken there then. You're seeing different behaviour in Chrome and Brave on the same PC? Which versions of each browser are you using, and which versions of the 1Password extension do you have installed there? It works here, so I'm sure we can get it working for you too! :)

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@ brenty, again, thank you for the response...to answer your questions:

1. Chrome is Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (32-bit). Chrome 1Password Extension in 4.7.5.90. The autosubmit does work with this combination.

2. Brave is Version 0.68.132. Brave 1Password X Extension 1.16.1. The autosubmit does not work with this combination.

Thanks!

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, an update to the immediate preceding post.

The problem with Brave and autosubmit was the version of the 1Password extension I was using. I switched from the 1Password X extension to the 1Password extension and all is good.

That said, what is the difference between the 1Password extension and the 1Password X extension?

Thx (and sorry for all the questions)!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joelc: Thanks for the info! Indeed, this is the problem:

Brave is Version 0.68.132. Brave 1Password X Extension 1.16.1.

1Password X operates solely within the browser, no interaction from the desktop app. If you use the 1Password desktop app/extension in Brave like you are in Chrome, it will behave the same:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

In case it helps anyone else, it can be installed from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

But 1Password X exists so that people who can't use our desktop apps can still use 1Password in their browser.

Anyway, it sounds like you were able to get it sorted, but if you have any other questions, just ask. Cheers! :)

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, again, thank for the wonderful assistance....one last ask, can you clarify a situation / what you mean by "But 1Password X exists so that people who can't use our desktop apps can still use 1Password in their browser" as I cannot imagine / understand such a scenario. Thx!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joelc:

An example would be Linux users, or users in a company environment where they are not allowed to install additional apps on their work devices :)

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana, thank you, that is extremely helpful and assist me in understanding the differences between the various Password Extensions! I am all good now!

Thanks to the 1Password Team for the great support!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.