1Password fills wrong secret key

When I navigate to https://my.1password.eu and let 1Password fill my credentials, it always selects the wrong secret key, even though the correct one is stored with the entry in 1Password.

For context: I once had my account at https://my.1password.com - but then moved to the EU region (https://support.1password.com/regions/). I've used the same email address for both the US and EU account - and I believe that 1Password is still filling the secret key for my deleted US account.

I'm not sure where 1Password is pulling the secret key from. I've checked the Trash in 1Password but it's empty. I even restarted my computer and used an Incognito tab in Chrome - same results. Even if for me it's "just" an annoyance, from a security perspective 1Password should not have access to this secret key anymore.

I can always reproduce this problem.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 x86
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @manski,

This is quite weird indeed!

If you use Chrome, could you please check if you still have built-in password manager enabled there? It would explain where your old Secret Key is coming from.

After ruling it out, we will investigate further. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• manski
    manski
    Community Member

Hi @Greg ,

If you use Chrome, could you please check if you still have built-in password manager enabled there? It would explain where your old Secret Key is coming from.

I have no passwords saved in Chrome and the built-in password manager is disabled.

I can reproduce this problem in both Chrome and Firefox (haven't tried other browsers but I'm expecting the same result).

It would also be strange that Chrome's built-in password manager fills in stuff when I hit Ctrl + /.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@manski: Thank you for the confirmation! I have another idea of where that old Secret Key is stored. Could you please find your 1Password account item in your vault, edit it, scroll down, and click "Show web form details":

Do you see your old Secret Key saved there? Please take a look and let me know what you find. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• manski
    manski
    Community Member

@Greg Yes, thank you. That was it. I've updated it and now it works.

• I'm glad things are working now, but I'm a bit curious how your old Secret Key ended up there in the first place, @manski. When you change regions, you're essentially creating a brand new account which should come with a brand new Starter Kit item with your 1Password account details. From what I know, your new 1Password Account Login item shouldn't have any relationship at all to your old one. Have you been using your new Starter Kit item when filling here or did you update your original item after moving it over to the EU region?

• manski
    manski
    Community Member

@bundtkate I've probably updated the 1Password entry for the US region and just changed the URL and the Secret Key. (Not 100% certain.)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @manski,

Most likely, this is what happened. That is why I asked you to check the web form details in your existing item. I am glad to hear that we managed to find it out. :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.