My master password no longer works.

Options
kjarbour
kjarbour
Community Member

I have recently had problems with 1password and the RBC site. For several years it worked 100% then everything stopped. I loaded the new extension for Chrome per instructions and it works sometimes for some of the accounts but recently worked less and less. The problem was duplicated by the dev team but not sure what became of the incident.

Now my Master Password no longer works. For several years I have kept the same password and while very cryptic, committed it to memory. I have my secret number however it seems I still need to log in and must have the master password. I never had to worry about 1Password and has been a great tool until recently.

Suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi @kjarbour! Welcome to the forum!

The problem was duplicated by the dev team but not sure what became of the incident.

Can you please point us to that discussion you have had with the dev team so we can take a look?

Now my Master Password no longer works.

Just to make sure we are on the same page: is this a different issue from the one you explained in your first paragraph? Or is it connected to the discussion you had with the dev team?

• moxley
    moxley
    Community Member
    Options

The same thing just happened to me. I have two macs, and on one of them, I can no longer unlock 1Password7. The other, I can unlock just fine. I tried restarting the computer that wasn't working, and that didn't help.

On both machines the app version is 7.3.2 (70302004).

I used Dropbox to store my vault.

I can also unlock it with 1Password on my iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @moxley! Welcome to the forum!

Are you using the same vault on both devices? The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

So if your Master Password is accepted on one Mac but not on the other, and you are 100% sure you are entering the correct one, the two apps must be configured differently.

• moxley
    moxley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I have two vaults: a personal one, and a work one. I was able to unlock 1Password using my work vault password. I also have two accounts: personal and work.

I ended up resolving the issue by deleting my work account and re-adding it. After that, my personal account became the first account listed. Now my personal vault password works to unlock 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@moxley:

Perfect. I am happy that everything is working the way you like now :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.