Master password for 1Password for Windows 7.3.684 stops being accepted

I access 1Password one of two ways - either usinig 1PasswordX for Chrome, or using the full desktop version. The Chrome version always accepts my master password. Likewise, when logging into https://my.1password.com, the master password is always accepted. 1Password for Windows 7.3.684 does NOT always accept the master password - as it is failing to do right now. Is there a known issue with syncing, or otherwise a bug in this build?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.16.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.678)
Sync Type: Default

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bored2tears,

Is it possible that you changed your Master Password after setting up 1Password 7 on your Windows PC?

If you did, you'll need to finish changing your Master Password in 1Password 7 for Windows. Open and unlock 1Password 7 on your PC using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

Please let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• bored2tears
    bored2tears
    Community Member

Hunch well played Greg, thank you!! 1Password 7 was already installed on my laptop, but as you correctly surmised, I guess I didn't quite finish the master password update process.

Thanks again!

PS - Glad I remembered the old password... whew.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bored2tears,

I am glad to hear that you've finished this process now! Thank you for the good news.

We have plans to improve this behaviour in the future, but it takes time and we have a lot on our plate now. Please stay tuned and feel free to reach out to us anytime. We are always ready to help you with all things 1Password. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• ElizabethN
    ElizabethN
    Community Member

I had exactly this behavior, and these instructions fixed it for me, too. It would be helpful to add this to the FAQs or something to describe all the steps that you need to take when updating a master password. I'm so glad I thought to check here!

• These steps are actually included in our guide to changing your Master Password here, @ElizabethN: https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

You'll find it at the end of the steps to change your Master Password if you have only a 1Password account and no standalone vaults in your app. :+1: That said, this is something we'd like to see improved in the future. Other 1Password apps have a trick to fake syncing your Master Password and we'd like to see 1Password for Windows use that trick, too, to help make this process a bit less confusing. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.