Cannot get 1Password on iPhone to recognize 1password set up on PC (Windows 10)

2»

Comments

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Here's what I just tried. I went to a website (Albertsons) on the PC (which uses cookies and remembered me) and went to my account and let 1Password generate a new password. Great. Then I went to my iPhone XR and went to albertstons.com. I tried to sign in and even though it revealed the exact new password that it had just generated on the PC (I clicked reveal), it gave me a message saying that the password doesn't match their records. This has happened with every login I have tried. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I deleted the primary vault per your suggestion above and I only have one personal vault on both the PC and the phone. Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@agaldos

Hold on, so, despite 1Password providing you with the exact same password on both devices, it works on your PC but not on the iPhone on every website?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Yes, that is correct on the 4 sites I have tried so far. I am locked out of Ticketmaster because of too many attempts. I chose accounts that were less critical to try but so far I can't make it work. I am at a loss but I want to make this work.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I just tried the Albertsons again and got the same result. Now I am locked out of there too.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

I just tried again, again, with Albertsons. It says the password cannot be more than 12 characters, so that may be why it rejected the 1Password-generated one. I added one of my own and now I can get back it, but I still have yet to find one case where I can log into the PC, generate a password from 1Password, and then go to the iPhone and have it accept the 1Password-generated password. If I can make that happen once, then I think I am on my way, but so far no luck. I have a feeling that I am getting into some sites because of cookies, so that doesn't help me use 1Password. How does 1Password work with cookies?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@agaldos: I think I understand the problem you're having now. If you're simply generating new passwords with 1Password, those will not allow you to log in to any website unless you complete the critical step of changing your password with the site itself:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

For example, if my password for amazon.com is Monkey123, that's bad, and I want to change it. So I can generate a new one in 1Password, such as jZAj.hui!78ivEGjtnwq. However, at this point, only 1Password has that new password; the website does not. So, in this example, if I then try to sign in to amazon.com with jZAj.hui!78ivEGjtnwq, that will not be accepted, because the password Amazon knows and expects is still Monkey123. Therefore, I need to go through the password change process on Amazon's site to set the new password, jZAj.hui!78ivEGjtnwq, and then I can use that to sign in going forward. Does that help?

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Got it. Thank you very much. So much to learn! I successfully got one generated password to work on both the PC and the iPhone so I am hopeful I can climb this mountain.

One question I still have is about cookies. If the browser takes me automatically to a site, how do I know if it's because of a cookie or because I changed the passwords in both ways?

One more question on your above answer - how do I easily copy that 1Password-generated into the site on the iPhone when I switch platforms?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos - glad to hear you were able to generate a password and change it on at least one site. Progress! :)

If the browser takes me automatically to a site, how do I know if it's because of a cookie or because I changed the passwords in both ways?

I'm not sure I understand this. Can you explain a bit further? What specific steps are you taking, and what's the question -- or what's not happening the way you expect?

...how do I easily copy that 1Password-generated into the site on the iPhone when I switch platforms?

Again, not totally sure I understand this question. If you've followed brenty's instructions (and the ones at the link he provided), then the password will have been changed both in your 1Password app and on the site in question. You shouldn't need to copy it anywhere. If you want to use 1Password on other devices, you'd need to download/install the correct 1Password app for that device from our downloads page, sign into your 1Password account (or sync your standalone data), then just use 1Password as normal there, as well.

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thank you all for the help. What brenty said is that if I change the password, then only 1Password has it and if I log into the website (on another device like my iPhone), then I have to tell that site that there is a new password. My question was whether there is an easy way to copy the long generated password from one platform to another. I change the password from the browser on the PC when I logged in. Great. Now I have the supersafe password, but when I log onto the site on my phone it doesn't recognize the new password and asks if I want to generate one. If I say yes, the the PC doesn't recognize that new one so that's not going to work. Am I doing this the right way or did I miss something? As I reread his example, he specifically says that 1Password has the new password but the website does not. He says I have to copy that generated password to the new site. If I'm logging into the new site through the app on the iPhone, do I have to write down that long password and change it manually or is there a quicker way to do that?

The question about cookies is this. I change the password on the PC in 1Password. Then I go to the site on the Mac and it immediately lets me in. I think that's because it left a cookie, not because it recognizes the newly generated password. Thanks again for all this help and guidance. I really really want to use this program!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My question was whether there is an easy way to copy the long generated password from one platform to another. I change the password from the browser on the PC when I logged in. Great. Now I have the supersafe password, but when I log onto the site on my phone it doesn't recognize the new password and asks if I want to generate one.

@agaldos: Thanks for clarifying! If you're using your 1Password account on Windows and have saved the new password there, all you need to do is open 1Password on your iPhone and access it from your account there as well:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

The question about cookies is this. I change the password on the PC in 1Password. Then I go to the site on the Mac and it immediately lets me in. I think that's because it left a cookie, not because it recognizes the newly generated password. Thanks again for all this help and guidance. I really really want to use this program!

That's correct: many websites use cookies to "remember" you on an ongoing basis. That's how you're able to, for example, shop on Amazon and not have to sign in again every time you go to a new page there. This is unrelated to 1Password. 1Password comes into play when you're required to sign into the website again -- either because time has passed, or because you signed out manually -- since it has your password saved for you and can often fill it:

Saving, filling, and changing your passwords

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• agaldos
    agaldos
    Community Member

Thanks for letting me ask more questions. Today I went to the PC and created a brand new account: BTFE.com. I let 1Password generate the new password. I then went to mu iPhone XR and Safari to go to the website on the phone. It took me to the iPhone app which I installed. Then I tried to log in on the iphone. I put in my email address, clicked on the key which took me to 1Password, let it fill in the password. It looked like it was going to work, but alas it comes back with Login Failed every time. I tried changing the password. I revealed it and copied it on paper and entered it into the app on the phone, and still it comes up with Login Failed. I swear I am doing it right this time. So far I have yet to enter one login successfully using the generated passwords. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I feel I am very close but not until I can get it to work will I be there.

When I reveal the password in the app on my phone it is the exact same as the one on the PC. So why doesn't BTFE.com recoginize it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@agaldos: I'll actually shoot you an email here in a minute so we can dig into this without discussing sensitive information here in a public forum. Please look for that when you get a chance. :)

ref: LQG-16468-558

This discussion has been closed.