Stop using Safari to save passwords?

Options

On an iMac with the latest software, I have the Safari preferences set to record and retrieve passwords alongside using 1Password. I am beginning to think I would be better off canceling the Safari feature and deleting all of its saved passwords, and relying exclusively on 1Password. Your thoughts on that?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @bobgoldstein1passwrd

We would absolutely recommend doing that. Having both 1Password and Safari's built in password manager, or that of any browser for that matter, will only cause conflict and confusion as you don't know where each item is being saved. If you are using 1Password, disable the Safari's built in manager.

• bobgoldstein1passwrd
    Options

First, thanks for the reply. Second, the reason I run both is that it seems that sometimes Safari offers to save a password but 1Password says nothing when I establish a new signon or change the password on an older signon. But Safari seems to keep a history of old passwords, such that I cam not always sure which to choose.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@bobgoldstein1passwrd

1Password keeps a history of older passwords as well, either within an entry in the Password History of a particular login entry, or within the Passwords category for passwords that are not currently linked to a proper login entry.

This discussion has been closed.