New Password Form issue

I was changing some passwords that were flagged on the "dark web" the other day, and ran into two sites where the Change password form had the field:

OLD PASSWORD
NEW PASSWORD

That was it. This is not typical, as most have NEW PASSWORD and RETYPE NEW PASSWORD.

Anyway, 1PasswordX failed at handling the form. I would type in the Old password, move to the New field and it would suggest a new password, and when I selected the suggestion, it would fill in both the new and old field with the suggestion (overwriting the old) and then the form would fail because the old was wrong

It has always done a good job when there is a retype field.

I ended up just manually coming up with some random string of characters, and then manually updated 1Password. Not the end of the world, I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

1Password Version: 1.16.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting this to us, @mattnlynn! Would you mind sharing the website URLs with me so I can pass the report along to our developers? It's always nice to hear about these situations so we can work on improving the overall filling experience.

I also want to make sure you're aware of the full-featured password generator within the 1Password X pop-up. It sounds like it would have come in handy instead of you creating a "random" password yourself. To get there, you'll click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, then click the large + button, then click Password Generator. If you're a fan of keyboard shortcuts, you can also press Ctrl + G with the 1Password X pop-up open. From there, you'll be able to copy a generated password and paste it into the new password field.

• mattnlynn
    mattnlynn
    Community Member

I did not know about that, it would have made this easier. Appreciate the tip!

It was the Dropbox website, actually.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@mattnlynn – Totally! That's what I'm here for. :)

Thanks for letting me know Dropbox is where things went wrong. We're currently in the process of rebuilding our filling algorithm, and things seems to be working well with the newer build. I don't have a date for when it'll be released quite yet, but you should see a fix for this in the future. Regardless, I really appreciate you reporting it to us. It's impossible for us to check filling (especially on password change forms) on every website out there, so it's always a pleasure when users let us know when things aren't filling as they'd expect. Thank you again! ❤️

• mattnlynn
    mattnlynn
    Community Member

NP, it's odd that a big company like that does not have a "confirm new password" field. One mistype and you are locked out.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mattnlynn – You know, that's an extremely good point.

This discussion has been closed.