sync not showing up in preferences on my Mac; latest version from App Store installed

mhaeberli
mhaeberli
Community Member

I have two Macs. Running the same version of 1Password, both downloaded from the App store.
On one, in preferences, 'sync' shows up, and it's configured to use iCloud (yay!)
On the other, in preferences, 'sync' does NOT show up.

Preferences on the first read:
General / Mini / Security / Accounts / Watchtower / Vaults / Browsers / Sync / WLAN Server / Backup // Advanced
Preferences on the second read:
General / Mini / Security / Accounts / Watchtower / Vaults / Browsers // Advanced

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:sync not showing up in preferences on my Mac; latest version from App Store installed

Comments

• rudy
    edited June 2019

@mhaeberli,

It sounds like you're signed into a 1Password.com account in both, but haven't turned on "vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts" in Advanced Preferences on the one that isn't showing WLAN Server/Backup/Sync.

You should be aware that the App Store version will not allow you to edit your items if you remove your 1Password.com accounts, if you meant to purchase a standalone license then you will need to switch over to the version from the https://1password.com/downloads page as the App Store version is not available as a standalone license purchase.

• docj
    docj
    Community Member

OK, just so I'm clear: I've been a standalone 1PW user for many years, but recently signed up for a 30-day trial of a 1Password membership. I only use one vault (the default one). I used to backup my vault to Dropbox, but now understand that is not necessary with my new account (you guys take care of that, right?). I'm also not seeing "Sync" or "Backup" when I click on "Preferences." Is that by design?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @docj! Welcome to the forum!

I'm also not seeing "Sync" or "Backup" when I click on "Preferences." Is that by design?

Yes. That's because if you have a 1Password Membership, both sync and backups happen automatically so you don't have to do anything about either of those things :)

• docj
    docj
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana! And no way to back up to Dropbox now (not that I need to, just wondering). TIA...

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@docj correct. 1Password memberships are completely separated from 3rd party services as they not necessary. Just keep a copy of your Emergency Kit somewhere safe and you will never lose access to your data.

This discussion has been closed.