AutoFill opens 1Password Mini instead of autofilling

ellemef
ellemef
Community Member

Hi! I've read through a bunch of posts on similar issues, but I think this is different.

I go to a website, I click the 1P extension icon, it recognizes the site I'm on and presents me with the appropriate login, and I click on the AutoFill button. Instead of filling in the information on the page, the 1P Mini window opens up - usually with the default screen (with my favorites and stuff). If I go back to my browser window and try again, clicking the AutoFill button fills in the fields, usually on the second try, though sometimes I have to go back a third time.

I cannot find any rhyme or reason to this annoying behavior - it's not particular websites, it's not websites with 2FA - I just can't figure out what's going on. I am usually using Chrome to browse.

Anyone else see this kind of need-to-do-it-twice behavior?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G95)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ellemef!

I cannot reproduce this issue here on Chrome. One thing that might be worth trying is checking if you see the same behavior if you use the Cmd + \ keyboard shortcut to fill your login, instead of the browser extension.

• tdonjohnson
    tdonjohnson
    Community Member

Yes, I have this issue, too!

Adding (or removing) focus on the target fields doesn't make a difference.

Restarting the browser doesn't seem to help.

The issue manifests on many sites (not just a few).

It's also inconsistent ... clicking "Autofill" 3 times may launch 1P Mini twice, and then correctly target the browser window on the third try.

• tdonjohnson
    tdonjohnson
    Community Member

By the way, pressing "Cmd + \" fills the password correctly

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tdonjohnson:

Welcome to the forum!

For completeness, can you give us some information about your system?

• 1Password Version
    • Extension Version
    • OS Version
    • Browser Used and Browser Version
  • tdonjohnson
    tdonjohnson
    Community Member

1Password Version: 7.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
    Browser Used and Browser Version: Chrome 77.0.3865.75

thanks!
    Don

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the information @tdonjohnson! We will keep an eye out for this and see if we can find a specific series of steps to reproduce the issue.

• klagreca
    klagreca
    Community Member

i'm having this same issue and I can reproduce this consistently. It happens when I click too fast (double click) on the entry that I want to use to fill.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @klagreca! Welcome to the forum!

What browser and 1Password version is this happening with, and on which version of macOS? Let's see if we can replicate this.

• klagreca
    klagreca
    Community Member

Just had it occur. BUT it doesn't happen 100% of the time. What I can tell you is if I double-click slow, it never happens. If I double-click on the entry to use for fill, it happens maybe 2 out of 5 times.
    Site it just happened on: https://store.brainstormforce.com/my-downloads/?
    Browser: Chrome 76.0.3809.132
    1pass: 7.3.2

Hope this helps!

• Hi folks,

I believe I've seen a similar or the same thing before. I tend to use the keyboard to interact with 1Password, so I notice it most when using ⌘\ to open 1Password, use the arrow keys to select the Login item I want to fill, and then tap return to fill. Occasionally I've noticed that when I hit return instead of filling 1Password mini takes me back to the item listing. Clicking on the autofill button seems more reliable.

I'm going to try to find a way to reliably reproduce the issue. If anyone comes up with steps to do so in the mean time please let me know!

Ben

• klagreca
    klagreca
    Community Member

Interesting! My issue is strictly mouse-related. I'm not using keyboard shortcuts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation. We will try to find a consistent way to reproduce this, thank you all for the reports so far!

• Old_Jeremiah
    Old_Jeremiah
    Community Member

I just upgraded to Safari 13, and also downloaded 1Password 7. When I go to a website and click on the 1Password icon in the task bar, a window appears with the login info, but does not autofill. I've read about Autofill, but there is not option for that that I can find. 1Password 6 was so easy to use. Does this version not autofill? Do I have to buy it again?

• Hi @Old_Jeremiah

If you don't have a 1Password membership, and have not purchased a 1Password 7 license, then yes: that would be the problem. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

I have been able to repeat this issue in Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 on Mac 10.14.6 (18G95) with mouseclicks. Using keyboard shortcuts, I occasionally get the username to fill in, but not the password. The keyboard input is generally more reliable. Bug is very intermittent - sometimes the mouseclick issue does not happen at all. Sometimes it won't autofill on the first click, but will work on the second attempt. Sometimes, as here in this little video capture, it takes several times:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/hSH40b8wY

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mark A Talbot - thanks for letting us know and for providing your specific versions. I assume you've got the current version of 1Password for Mac installed (7.3.2)?

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

I am experiencing a similar issue.

System info below.

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Google Chrome is up to date
    Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The issue I'm seeing:

In Chrome when I'm ready to activate 1Password mini with the shortcut ⌘ + option + \, Mini would show up as expected, and I would use my keyboard to select the entry I need and click enter. At this point, Mini is supposed to fill the credentials to Chrome. Instead of doing this, Mini would disappear (expected) and reopens itself right back showing the default "All Items" sorting alphabetically. (this information is relevant because it shows that Mini is not aware of the presence of Chrome.)

To manually resolve this, I had to click ESC to dismiss the new Mini, use my trackpad to click on Chrome, and repeat the process with the shortcut ⌘ + option + \ once again. Sometimes the problem is gone in the 2nd try, sometimes the 3rd.

I have not found a pattern when it occurs. I've seen it on American Express, Citi, reddit, and many other sites. Need your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@vicjang - I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm not 100% sure, but this appears to be an issue we're tracking internally. Our developers are aware of this and working on a fix for it, but I don't have anything to announce in terms of when you might see an update containing the fix. Thanks for your patience until then.

ref: dev/apple/issues#4218

• vicjang
    vicjang
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the prompt reply. Although the issue is very annoying, it's always great to hear from you so promptly every time I have questions. I hope it gets resolved soon.

• Fingers crossed. :)

Ben

• lumpstuff
    lumpstuff
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. It started when I upgraded to MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and was forced to upgrade from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. I am a legacy user so do not have a monthly subscription.

The problem happens whether I am using Safari, Chrome or Firefox. And it doesn't matter if I'm using keyboard commands or the mouse. It happens every time I try to autofill anything on any webpage.

It's the first time I've ever been disappointed or inconvenienced by 1Password. Up until this point the development and implementation of features has been flawless.

Matthew

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Safari Version 13.0.1 (14608.2.11.1.11)
    Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Firefox Quantum 69.0.1 (64-bit)

• @lumpstuff

If you're unable to fill anything on any webpage then it is unlikely that you're running into this bug, but more likely there is either a configuration issue or some other hiccup. Have you tried restarting your Mac since this trouble began? If so, and the problem persists, could you please let us know which version of the 1Password extension you see in each of your browsers?

Ben

• lumpstuff
    lumpstuff
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Thank you.

I've selected Preferences / Updates / Check Now for all of my browsers. They all say that the version is up to date.

Safari Shows 7.3.2 (build #70302004) – released 2019-08-06

And I have restarted. I have not shut down and restarted. I guess I could try that.

I've just tried that. I'm still in a position wherein I have to copy and past the username and password separately to login to any website.

I've also now run Disk Utility. It says that all of the permissions are fine. And I'm unaware of having issues with any application other than 1Password7.

Please advise.

Matthew

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

@Lars - Yes, 1PW v 7.3.2 (70302004) on an MBP 2018. I've restarted numerous times since the problem occurred, cleared browser cache/cookies/dns cache. This problem has been ongoing for about a month, but I finally got sick enough of it that I posted. Looking forward to a resolution, hopefully.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lumpstuff:

If you open 1Password and click on 1Password 7 in the menu bar > License... entry, is it telling you that the app is correctly activated?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mark A Talbot:

Thank you for the confirmation. I could not reproduce the issue here, and I am running the same version of 1Password. Is your 1Password browser extension also up to date? For reference, I am running 4.7.5.90 in my Chrome.

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes the browser extension is up to date: 4.7.5.90. I know you cannot replicate the error, but it appears that several 1PW users are encountering the same issue.

• lumpstuff
    lumpstuff
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

@ag_ana Thank you. It looks like 1Password 7 is asking me to pay for the app again. I was one of the first users and this is the first time an upgrade has required me to make another purchase. Looks like I have to pay $2.99 monthly or $50 for a 1 time purchase. I'm not sure how to make that decision. Is 1Password moving towards making the 1 time purchase cost ineffective by requiring frequent paid upgrades.

• Hi @Mark A Talbot

We do recognize that there have been a few reports of this and as such are trying to track down what is causing the situation. The fact that we can't reproduce it doesn't mean we won't try to fix the issue, just that it will be more difficult to do so.

Ben

• Hi @lumpstuff

Thank you for your long time patronage of 1Password. Licenses were never intended to include upgrades. The terms for them say that they do not. But we always try to be as generous and fair to customers as we can be, while also doing what we need to do to be sure 1Password is a sustainable offering. We ended up giving folks who had purchased a 1Password 4 license free upgrades to 1Password 5, and then again to 1Password 6. This means that many people have been using 1Password for years without ever having to pay for an upgrade. While the intention was to be generous, I think unfortunately in many ways we've shot ourselves in the foot by setting unrealistic expectations going forward.

Getting back to that point about sustainability... to continue to meet demand it takes what is now a rather large team of about 160 people working full time to design, build, test, and support 1Password. It is kind of crazy to think about that. I still tend to think of 1Password as a "small" company. When I started working here there were maybe 10 or so of us. Now I can't honestly say that I know everyone who works here. Software is an ever changing environment, and it takes continuous work by this team to keep up with those changes. New operating systems get released, browsers get updated, security models evolve... etc. This is why we don't include upgrades with licenses officially, and part of why the membership model makes so much sense.

With membership you pay a low monthly rate and all of the work we're doing is included. There are no separate costs just because you've updated your browser, for example. We're on top of it. We do still offer licenses as well, for those who are familiar with and more comfortable with that approach, but going forward they will be priced to reflect the work that is going into producing and maintaining new versions of the software. While I expect we'll continue to be as generous with upgrades as we reasonably can, officially the expectation should be that each new major version will be a separate purchase.

My apologies if that was a bit of a tangent, but I think it may help to understand some of the background and how we got to where we are today.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.