I’m not Canadian so why does 1Password assign my location there?

Options
JustJoan
JustJoan
Community Member

I live in New York, which last time I looked is in the United States, so why does 1Password assign me to Canada as my region. Oh, and it’s catching: my iPhone now shows Canada as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I’m not Canadian so why does 1Password assign my location there?

Comments

• Hi @JustJoan,

Where are you seeing that? Would you be able to provide a screenshot that doesn't contain any personal information?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• JustJoan
    JustJoan
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Sure Ben. See these two examples:
    [screenshots removed]

• Thanks @JustJoan! That was very helpful. So, the location information 1Password has when sending those emails is based on your IP address, which is assigned by your Internet Service Provider. This can also be affected if you utilize a VPN or proxy server to access the internet, as those may cause the IP address that is presented to 1Password to differ from the IP address your ISP assigns. The location information is rarely super accurate, but serves to give a general idea. For me, for example, IP location information shows the location of one of my ISP's nearby termination points, which is about 25-30 miles away. For others it may be even less accurate.

You may want to verify the location information we have isn't far off from what other providers have, e.g.:
    https://iplocation.com/
    Where does that site show you connecting from? Does it also show Ontario?

Does that help explain? Please let me know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.