1Password7 no longer accepts master password on Mac. Can't reset password data.

Options
LeeA
LeeA
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

I had been able to log into 1Password7 regularly and without issue but as of this morning it no longer accepts my master password. There's been no software updates of any kind installed or updated on my Mac. I've verified that my master password works both on the 1Password site and also on 1Password7 running on my Win10 machine. I found a recommendation on this forum to "reset" password data (via the Help -> Troubleshooting menu) but all the text and options in those dialogs were grayed out. No clue what's going on.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: FAMILY PLAN

Comments

• LeeA
    LeeA
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Follow up: I rebooted my Mac and while I still wasn't able to log in, the Help -> Troubleshooting dialogs were re-enabled. I was able to reset my 1Password data successfully and then was able to log in without issue.

While thank goodness none of my data was damaged it still seems to me that 1Password losing its mind is not a trivial bug.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi @LeeA,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty here. If you were able to log in at https://my.1password.com, but not 1Password for Mac, there are three possible causes:

1. You may have accidentally double clicked on a 1Password sync file, adding it as a standalone vault to 1Password. When a standalone vault exists in 1Password the Master Password of that vault is what is used to unlock 1Password on that device, but this does not affect unlocking through the 1Password website or any other devices.
    2. You may have already had a standalone vault on the Mac and changed the Master Password for it. Again this would only affect the Mac, not 1Password.com or your other devices
    3. The 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password account setting became enabled (creating a standalone vault)

Without having a diagnostic report created while the issue was happening it is impossible to say which of these was the case, but in any event I'm glad to hear you were able to find a solution. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• LeeA
    LeeA
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks Ben. I appreciate the follow up.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.