can I downgrade to my old reliable 1password 6 if doing a version 7 trial?

It looks like a lot of hoops to jump through to upgrade to subscription of version 7. I have 6 running on two Macs, and 5 IOS devices, one of which is not going to be upgraded beyond IOS 9. So, if I march through the exercise of trying out version 7, losing 1Password on my IOS 9 iPod touch, and then I find I don't like that, -- can I go back to using 6 easily, or all the file vaults altered and non-recoverable. I'm only considering this because the extension for Safari no longer works. What a royal degradation for those of us who like older software.

Is this too complicated a question for you?

Thanks,

Jeff

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: don't know
OS Version: 10.13, 10.14 and various IOS versions
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffp757: I'm not seeing the question (besides the one where you ask if it's too complicated), but I think I get the gist of it. :lol:

Anyway, first and foremost I think it's important to clarify that we can't recommend sticking with an outdated OS or browser, as then you'll be missing out on important security fixes (years of them, in the case of the iPod touch) for known vulnerabilities. And, given that we're using 1Password to help us be more secure, that's an unnecessary risk. So if it's just one or two devices, and not even your main one, it might be better to just count that out and accept that, as it really shouldn't even be connected to the internet in order to mitigate the risk. So it could be a moot point.

However, as far as upgrading to 1Password 7 and a 1Password membership, that's really two entirely separate issues. 1Password 6 works with a membership currently (though it may not indefinitely, as we evolve the service in the future, and old versions will not be updated). So it's quite possible to run 1Password 7 on some devices and 1Password 6 on others (though, again, I can't recommend the latter). On the other hand, if you use a 1Password membership and decide to go back to "standalone", you can copy the data back to a local vault from the account. The only complication there is that local vaults do not support some account features, so, for instance, you'd need to manually save any files stored as Documents in the account and add them as attachments in the local vault -- or, just keep a backup of your original vault while you test drive 1Password membership, and go back to using that if you decide you want to.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jeffp757
    jeffp757
    Community Member

If I do a trial of version 7, do the IOS 1Password apps I currently use need upgrading? And if so, if I decide that I want to go back to a backup of my version 6 vault, will the upgraded IOS apps have a problem with that?

• jeffp757
    jeffp757
    Community Member

If I do a trial of version 7, do the IOS 1Password apps I currently use need upgrading? And if so, if I decide that I want to go back to a backup of my version 6 vault, will the upgraded IOS apps have a problem with that?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

@jeffp757

What version of 1Password for iOS are you currently using? It is likely that version has already upgraded to v7, as there wasn't an upgrade cost associated with doing so.

1Password 7 for iOS is backwards compatible with 1Password 6 for Mac.

Ben

• jeffp757
    jeffp757
    Community Member

6.8 with Pro features paid for and not used on my relic iPhone 5S (running latest IOS). I’m sure my iPod running iOS 9 must be on a much earlier version of 1P.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffp757: 1Password 6.9.1 was a the final release compatible with iOS 9 and 10. While I can't recommend sticking with an outdated OS and browser, since they have known vulnerabilities which are only patched in later versions, and since we're using 1Password to be more secure that's a bad baseline, that could work for you.

• jeffp757
    jeffp757
    Community Member

there's some judgement involved in labelling things "bad". I understand the concepts involved in searching for vulnerabilities to various manipulations and deceits involved in improving operating systems, and how that leads to constant releases to head these often obscure and sometimes nearly hypothetical issues off at the pass. But are you saying that there are examples of incursions into 1Password protection in the last few years that have now been solved?

• Not in 1Password, but in iOS: yes.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.