Security Key Compatibility?

TheMokaPot
TheMokaPot
Community Member
edited September 2019 in iOS

I just enabled 2FA (w/ both TOTP & blue security key I have) on my 1Password account! When I log into my 1Password on iOS, I was kind of surprised to find out that the app was asking me to some how plug my security device in.

I was wondering if I have an iPhone 6S w/ the non-NFC blue security key, how would this be possible? Should I get the NFC-key instead and if so, is my iPhone able to read it?

Is there a difference between the Yubikey vs Security Key when it comes to 1Password compatibility?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.0
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @TheMokaPot

I was wondering if I have an iPhone 6S w/ the non-NFC blue security key, how would this be possible?

It isn't. ;) For U2F the only such key we currently support on iOS is the YubiKey 5Ci, via the Lightning connector (no USB-C support on iOS). You can use the TOTP portion of your existing key to generate TOTP codes for 1Password, though:

Use your YubiKey as an authenticator to sign in to your 1Password account

Should I get the NFC-key instead and if so, is my iPhone able to read it?

NFC wouldn't work in this case.

Ben

• TheMokaPot
    TheMokaPot
    Community Member

Thanks Ben! That's good to know!
    Are there plans to allow NFC reading from cheaper Yubikeys on newer iPhones for 2FA?

I also realized that I shouldn't be putting my TOTP in my 1Password vault. Glad to have realized that mistake before it was too late!

• I also realized that I shouldn't be putting my TOTP in my 1Password vault. Glad to have realized that mistake before it was too late!

You can certainly also have it there. I do, and it is fairly handy to do so. But it shouldn't be the only place you store it. :)

Are there plans to allow NFC reading from cheaper Yubikeys on newer iPhones for 2FA?

I haven't heard any announcements in this regard but I would imagine as the technology continues to evolve we'll be looking to evolve with it.

Thanks Ben! That's good to know!

You're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

• actualjack
    actualjack
    Community Member

Ben - can Yubikey AND a TOTP like Authy work in tandem? That is, one as a backup to the other say, in case, Authy fails or goes away?

Thanks in advance,
    Jack

• Hi @actualjack

Yes, and at present in order to use a Security Key (like a Yubikey) you must first enable TOTP (e.g. using Authy).

Ben

• actualjack
    actualjack
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast response, as always, Ben!

Jack

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@actualjack, on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.