Support for Edge Insider Builds for Mac

ejschenck
ejschenck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

So the Dev and Canary Channels for Microsoft Edge are both out for Mac and I was curious when there'd be a beta for 1Password?

I attempted to install it by enabling the "Allow Extensions from Other Stores" option but it was unable to connect with 1Password every time it tried.

Update: 1Password X seems to work fine with it, though...

1Password Version: 7.3-Beta-12
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. We don't have anything to announce for the prerelease Edge browser at this point, but some folks are already happily using 1Password X there since it doesn't require anything accommodation from Microsoft or a desktop app to connect to:

Get to know 1Password X

And I'm sure we'll have more to share later on. :)

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

1Password X is working great for me!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing how the new Edge turns out too. :chuffed:

• lippythunder
    lippythunder
    Community Member

Hi,
    Using 1Password X happily so far on Edge for Mac (Canary channel) but I was wondering if anyone had the chance to look at Integration with desktop app support? Or if the normal extension will be released for it soon?

Just trying to see if there's a way to use TouchID to unlock 1Password on Edge Mac

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Possibly in the the future. Too early to say anything for certain. Right now we're working on integration with Chrome. And Microsoft is working on...well, Edge. :)

• br_
    br_
    Community Member

Could I ask if there's any sort of progress update on this, and if there's anything I can do to help (including, perhaps, test beta builds of an extension)?

I am happy to use 1Password X when using Edge for Mac, but I've noticed that 1Password Desktop Extension functions very well now on both Chrome and Edge for Windows, as well as Chrome for Mac. I figure that means we're almost there? But I don't want to make assumptions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to announce at present. There isn't even a submission process in place for new Edge extensions. But I expect that will come in time, once it's ready.

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

According to the latest beta's release notes, there is "BETA-ONLY" support for Edge. Could some please help me understand what exactly that means and how I would get it to work? Simply installing the regular Chrome extension and using it with either Edge Beta or Canary didn't work for me on first try.

• abnv93
    abnv93
    Community Member

I'm curious about this as well. The Chrome extension still doesn't recognize 1Password Beta when installed in Edge, and 1Password X still doesn't show the option to "Integrate with 1Password for Mac".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@Lukas S.: First, sorry for the delayed response. To get the Edge beta working with 1Password for Mac previously, I...

1. updated to the latest beta of 1Password (did that earlier today),
    2. installed Edge from Microsoft,
    3. followed the link to the Chrome web store listing for the companion 1Password desktop extension from our website,
    4. enabled "Allow extensions from other stores" in Edge,
    5. clicked "Add to Chrome"
    6. quit Edge
    7. installed Chrome (did that long ago)
    8. using the Chrome Canary procedure as a guide, opened ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/ in Finder
    9. copied 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    10. opened ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Beta/NativeMessagingHosts/
    11. opened Edge...

However, it appears that they have changed their bundle ID from com.microsoft.Edge.Canary, com.microsoft.Edge.Dev or com.microsoft.Edge here to com.microsoft.edgemac.Beta. I've let the team know so we can compensate for that in another update. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#4213

• weareartisans
    weareartisans
    Community Member

@brenty Will that work with 1password x beta ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@weareartisans: In what sense?

• weareartisans
    weareartisans
    Community Member

unlock with touch id on mac os, like chrome ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@weareartisans: As desktop integration between 1Password for Mac and 1Password X in Chrome is in beta, I can't guarantee that will work for you, but it's certainly worth a try once we have a new Mac beta for the Edge changes. :)

• weareartisans
    weareartisans
    Community Member

great! i would like to test your beta, i love 1 password <3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@weareartisans: Awesome! It's easy to opt-in to the beta, and you'll see in the release notes when we have changes for Edge, along with the rest of what's new. Thanks for your interest! We're happy to hear your feedback as we continue to develop 1Password. :)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

Added BETA-ONLY support for Microsoft Edge. {#4067}

Does this mean only Edge Beta Channel is supported? It still doesn't recognize the browser signature of Edge Dev Channel when using 1Password Desktop Beta and the 1Password Beta extension.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

I had done that already, but re-reading the last part of your comment I understand it still won't work until you update 1Password Beta again.

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

I just tried it with the latest 1Password beta and it works! 🎉

@brenty Am I correct in understanding that for the time being, the integration only works in Edge Beta, not Dev or Canary?

• @Lukas S.,

It means that when 7.3.3 is released, Edge will cease working until you install the next beta version.

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

Oooh! That makes much more sense. Totally not clear that it was referring to 1Password's beta, not Edge's beta 🙂

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

In that case I don't know why 1Password Beta still says it cannot verify the browser's code signature once I added the NativeMessagingHosts file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lukas S.: Sorry for not making that clearer!

In case it helps anyone else, support for the new Edge browser from Microsoft is a feature in 1Password beta. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kathampy: It's definitely working here now. What OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions are you using there?

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

It started working. Not sure what was wrong.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear! :+1:

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

It stopped verifying again. It seemed to work in-between when I had Chromium installed. After deleting Chromium it stopped working in Edge Dev. I had never configured it to work with Chromium at all so I don't see how that's related.

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Dev/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json looks like this.
    {"type":"stdio","path":"\/Applications\/1Password 7.app\/Contents\/Library\/LoginItems\/1Password Extension Helper.app\/Contents\/MacOS\/1PasswordNativeMessageHost","description":"1Password Extension","allowed_origins":["chrome-extension:\/\/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk\/","chrome-extension:\/\/phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha\/","chrome-extension:\/\/fpnbobholfpcolmkinlokiaaanjilcop\/","chrome-extension:\/\/ffgeebhnlfcekjbfekfppddlklaopmok\/","chrome-extension:\/\/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa\/","chrome-extension:\/\/khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf\/","chrome-extension:\/\/embifcomanedggmloeniaakjemfalpda\/","chrome-extension:\/\/hjlinigoblmkhjejkmbegnoaljkphmgo\/","chrome-extension:\/\/ljbhaimghdpplcjhneliplimpfopbici\/"],"name":"2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password"}

I'm using the following software versions:
    macOS Catalina Beta 8
    Edge 78.0.262.0 (Official build) Dev (64-bit)
    1Password beta (desktop app required) 4.7.5.1
    1Password 7 Version 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

After creating a symlink instead of copying the file, it seems to have started working. Could have been a permission issue when pasting in Finder.
    ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Dev/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kathampy: Interesting. Thanks for letting us know! I just copied and pasted it myself, and for some reason that worked fine here, but that might be helpful for someone else who encounters the same issue. I'm sure that as the new Edge matures it will take care of doing that for us anyway. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.