Selective sync workarounds? All or nothing for 1p to dropbox?

I am playing with the trial version, and it is a great product ! Already got the iphone version, but have only one question outstanding before paying for the desktop version:

There does not seem to be a way of excluding items (or even categories) from the dropbox sync. It seems to be all or nothing. I am happy with the fact that my logins live in the dropbox cloud, but would prefer to keep the wallet items on the local machine only. Logins are for random discussion boards and less sensitive memberships, while the wallet contains the usual credit cards and passport numbers. It might not be rational, since anyone would need my master desktop password to decrypt my keychain, but...it is what it is...

Any workarounds? Perhaps i should install one version of 1p on the home pc, and disable dropbox synch so that the sensitive items are only synched over wifi between the iphone and home desktop, while the 1p version at work uses the dropbox synch and only contains the logins in its db? Possible? Other options?

Thx in advance
Luke

Comments

• bswins
    edited May 2011
    Hello Luke and welcome to the Fourms!

As noted in 1Password data file sync solutions:

All of your 1Password information—including Logins, Secure Notes, Software Licenses, Wallet items, and more—is saved in a data file named 1Password.agilekeychain.

That being the case, I do not believe there is a way to selectively sync only certain Vaults (i.e., Logins, Notes, etc.) using Dropbox. You did mention using WiFi synching as a workaround for selectively synching certain Vaults to your iPhone, and that will work, but you would miss out on the great benefit Dropbox provides for automatically synching your data across devices. Regardless, I don't think your desire to exclude certain information from the cloud is irrational. It is what you want to do, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I believe your suggestion for using two separate versions of 1P, and using two separate synching methods (WiFi for selective home synching and Dropbox for total synching at work) is interesting. However, I am concerned that trying to sync two different DBs to the same iPhone would be an issue. I don't have two 1P data bases set up, so I haven't been able to try this, but I foresee problems.

Several staff and forum members know much more about Dropbox synching than I do, so I'll await their comments for a more definitive answer.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • V12gte
    edited May 2011
    Thanks very much for the feedback. Indeed.....I did not think this through. I will get conflicts with the 2 machine set up.
    I hate to have to use another app for the local to iphone synch. The cloud integration is not something I want to give up, either.
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    V12gte wrote:

Thanks very much for the feedback. Indeed.....I did not think this through. I will get conflicts with the 2 machine set up.
    I hate to have to use another app for the local to iphone synch. The cloud integration is not something I want to give up, either.

You're welcome! However, just because I think there may be a problem doesn't mean that someone else doesn't have a perfect solution to your issue.

Regarding DB synching, I fall into the category of those who know enough to be dangerous! :)

I hope someone else chimes in with the answer you're waiting to hear. Regardless, I like what you are trying to accomplish, and I think the idea has merit.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2011
    For better or worse, Brandt is correct. At this time there is not a way to selectively sync items with Dropbox syncing.

Could you help me better understand why you would want to do this, though? If there are security concerns, please take a look at our "Security of storing 1Password data in the Cloud" for a detailed explanation of why all of us at AgileBits use Dropbox every day to sync our strongly encrypted data.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • V12gte
    edited May 2011
    Thanks. I do have that irrational fear, I guess. Hackers, authorities, and the like.
    :)
    I will read about the security measures and details, thanks for the link.
    It also looks like 1password will only do the wifi synch with a Mac, and I have a windows box.

The dropbox way sure is convenient. Perhaps there is a way to consider an enhancement for a future version, where certain categories, or flagged items are not synched. Just in case I am not the odd case.

regards, and thank you for your feedback here so far.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2011
    It is certainly not an irrational fear. It is good that you are thinking about these things! I hope that we can assure you that we at AgileBits also think about these things and trust out data to 1Password for a reason. skype_smile.png

As the beginning of the aforelinked document states:

Although we don’t recommend making your 1Password database publicly available to the world, we have designed it so that your username and password data (along with other secret data stored within it) is protected no matter whose hands they fall into. For this and other reasons we are very confident when we recommend cloud syncing of 1Password data with Dropbox.

It also looks like 1password will only do the wifi synch with a Mac, and I have a windows box.

This is correct. 1Password's Wi-Fi sync is only available on the Mac desktop platform. The Wi-Fi sync option available in 1Password for Mac relies on elements of OS X that have no counterpart in Windows. Dropbox works with 1Password for Mac and for Windows and with our apps for iOS and Android OS, and we believe it provides the best sync solution. There is currently no plan to implement Wi-Fi sync in 1Password for Windows.

The dropbox way sure is convenient. Perhaps there is a way to consider an enhancement for a future version, where certain categories, or flagged items are not synched. Just in case I am not the odd case.

We really appreciate your feedback on this issue and are always evaluating our sync options. We ain't called Agile for nothin'. skype_bigsmile.png

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • I've just misplaced or lost my iPhone. Now I really wish that I could have kept a subset of the 1Password database on the phone. Damage control would be a lot simpler.

Thumbs up for 1Password in general. Changed 273 passwords; much easier with 1P.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that your iPhone has gone missing! :(

The good news is that your data is still safely secured in 1Password. Jeff wrote a great blog post which explains why you have nothing to worry about in regard to those 273 passwords:

http://blog.agilebit...safe-passwords/

There are some passwords you might want to change, though, like those stored in the iOS keychain (i.e., mail, Wi-Fi, etc.) which are not protected as securely as those in 1Password. 1Password definitely makes changing those ones much easier. You can use the built-in Strong Password Generator and it will be saved directly in 1Password.

Don't forget that you can also use the Remote Wipe feature if you had the Find My iPhone feature enabled on your device:

http://www.me.com/find

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.