To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Vault + Membership Backup

kawaikini
kawaikini
Community Member
  1. Same confusion as many others upgrading 6 -7. If I choose membership, can I still keep local vault for peace of mind redundancy?
  2. 1P 7 will not hide?

1Password Version: 7.3.2?
Extension Version: 7.3.2?
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Confusion upgrading 6 -7. If I choose membership, can I still keep local vault for peace of mind?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kawaikini!

If I choose membership, can I still keep local vault for peace of mind redundancy?

You can, although we don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. You will have to keep those vaults in sync manually, and make sure you don't end up with duplicates or items stored in the wrong place. It is much easier to have everything handled by 1Password, including backups.

1P 7 will not hide?

Can you please elaborate on this a little bit? Where is 1Password not hiding?

• kawaikini
    kawaikini
    Community Member

Aloha Ana,
    Thank you for your insightful response. I’m uncomfortable with important passwords being located remotely on AgileBits servers in another country. Government is insane down here in the states. What if Chump impulsively decides that Canadians are worse than Mexicans and somehow, they target evil 1P and cut us off? Crazy thought, I know, but crazy stuff happens daily during these bizarre times. So, I would like to learn how to manually keep a password file locally. You never know. Could you please provide instructions? I’ll be careful.
    The first day with 1P7 if I opened the app, “Hide 1P” did nothing, it just stayed up. However, now 1P behaves and hides normally.
    When Safari informed me I was orphaned and needed 1P7, I went to App Store for 1P, clicked ‘Upgrade,” and 1P7 appeared. I managed to get extensions installed for Safari and Chrome after some confusion. The mini icon is there on the bar and it does recognize established logins. In Safari, there is no “Autofill” button and the keyboard shortcut does nothing. In Chrome, there’s a button that says, “Read Only,” no Autofill either. I can’t figure out my 1P7 status, does it see the 1P6 license or not? Whatever, it doesn’t autofill anything and I can’t edit in Chrome, so I’m assuming 1P7 thinks I’m running on the trial??? But App Store says I purchased 1P7??? I am very confused, and this process is a mess. I’ve wasted way too much time. How can I find my 1P6 license and apply to 1P7 to get it to work?
    Your website states, “If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac on or after March 27, 2018, your license also applies to 1Password 7.” I purchased my 1P6 Mac license on 12/1/2018 with one free month. PayPal payment was made on 1/1/2019. So, it appears that my 1P6 license should cover 1P7. I have appreciated 1P over the years, but this upgrade really sucks. Look at how much time I’ve wasted trying to sort this out. Very confusing. Please help me get 1P7 working, I’ve got work to do.
    Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Hopefully things will get better in this country, and we can do something about saving the children, education, water, trees, air, and Earth. And start being nice again.
    Aloha,
    John

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@kawaikini: We share your concerns with regard to privacy and security, just in general, but also especially in this era of revelations about government overreach, and initiatives to do even more. That's why we've designed 1Password so that we simply never have the keys to anyone's data (well, except for our own). What you add to 1Password is encrypted locally on your device, and the "keys" to decrypt it are never sent to us, even with a 1Password account: the server only has an encrypted blob, and only the user has the means to decrypt it. And with a 1Password membership, you have the added protection of the 128-bit, randomly-generated Secret Key.

Regarding the App Store, you "purchased" 1Password 7 for free there. It isn't sold, but rather works in conjunction with a 1Password membership. A 1Password 6 license does not apply to 1Password 7, but rather only 1Password 6. So you'd either need to use the version you paid for, sign up for a 1Password membership since that includes all of the apps and updates, or install 1Password from our website and purchase a license for that specific version from within the app. You will be in "read only" mode otherwise.

That said, it sounds like you may have signed up for a membership subscription already:

I purchased my 1P6 Mac license on 12/1/2018 with one free month. PayPal payment was made on 1/1/2019.

There is nothing like that for licenses. That sounds like you subscribed. Since we're not going to discuss payment information here in a public forum, I'd suggest emailing us at sales@1password.com with your receipt(s) so we can assist you in unraveling your situation. I'm sorry that you ran into some confusion and had to contact us here as a result, but we're happy to help. :)

• kawaikini
    kawaikini
    Community Member

Aloha brenty, et al. Thank you for your response. I followed your advice and emailed sales requesting unraveling assistance and attaching receipts documenting terms and quoting your website. It's been days and no response other than initial bot. So, I'm back here, hoping for help getting 1P7 working. If I did in fact sign up for a membership, what should I do now to get “all of the apps and updates” and get 1P7 working? It's running quirky. Sorry I'm so confused, but discrepancies indicated above have my head twirling.
    Thank you very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kawaikini: Thanks for letting me know! I'm sorry for the delay. I was able to track down your message, and I'll get back to you there shortly. Thank you for your patience. :blush:

ref: TQL-18116-795

This discussion has been closed.