Cannot import an account into my family plan

poitschkka01
poitschkka01
Community Member

Hello,
I have an account for the family owner and I invited my PCs user to join the family. The PC user had his own account so far.
Adding the user to the family plan worked and I ended up with an account with 3 items in the Personal vault.
So what I ended up now are 2 accounts with the same email and 2 different secret keys.

Now I wanted to transfer the 300+ items from my old account to the family account.
I followed the steps here: https://my.1password.com/apps and chose "Add your account directly". The 1 password app was starting and showed the login screen. The secret key was filled with the one from the new family account, so I changed it to the old account and entered the password.
Next, I get this error: "Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect."
But this is not true. I can login on 1password.com with the same key/password
I'm able to login to my new family account with the app.

The final situation is that I cannot transfer the data because I cannot login from the 1pw app to my old account.

In the web I'm able to login to both accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @poitschkka01!

Are you using the same Sign In address in the app that you are using in the browser on 1Password.com?

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

Hello,
    yes, its: https://my.1password.com

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@poitschkka01:

Thank you for the confirmation! Is this happening also when you type your login information manually, instead of having 1Password fill your login items for you automatically in the app?

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

That worked. I copied everything from the Emergency Kit

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

The login worked also when I want to do the direct transfer. But there is no other dialog to initiate the transfer of the data, like the one in your video.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@poitschkka01:

That worked. I copied everything from the Emergency Kit

That's great to hear! :+1:

But there is no other dialog to initiate the transfer of the data, like the one in your video.

This could happen in certain cases, for example when there are multiple vaults in your 1Password app already. In this case, you can move your items manually even if the prompt to migrate automatically does not appear for you.

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

I cannot login with both accounts at the same time in 1pw app. Once I logged in with my old account I'm getting an error when I try it with the new account and vice versa.
    It does not like 2 accounts with the same email but different secret keys.

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

one more thing I noticed:

When I clickon the vault (Private) at the 3 dots and choose "Manage" its opening the browser with a login window. But in that window it wants to connect to the other account. It shows the other accounts secret key

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@poitschkka01:

When I clickon the vault (Private) at the 3 dots and choose "Manage" its opening the browser with a login window. But in that window it wants to connect to the other account. It shows the other accounts secret key

You can ignore the website for now, since the migration needs to be done within the app anyway. In the website you can only be logged in to one account at the time, so it doesn't really matter what account is shown there.

You can add several accounts to the 1Password app, even with the same email, just make sure that you are entering the information for both accounts exactly as they appear in the respective Emergency Kits.

If you are getting an error message when logging in, it means that one of your login fields is not correct. If you are sure that you are entering the correct Secret Key and email address, the issue could be in the Sign In Address (different accounts could have different sign in addresses) or the Master Password (if you chose different passwords for the two accounts, make sure you enter the correct one).

Are you trying to add both accounts to the app from this Preferences window, using the + button here?

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

Hello,
    I forgot to mention that I use the latest windows version of 1pw.

I tested multiple times and it is not possible to sign in both accounts at the same time.
    When I get the error I go to Accounts -> -> SignOut in the menu of the login dialog
    Then click on "sign in" in the login dialog and it logs me in. Tested with both accounts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@poitschkka01:

Thank you for the clarification. I would like to ask you to send us a screenshot of the error message that you see in your 1Password for Windows app via email to support+forum@agilebits.com so we can take a closer look for you.

Please make sure you hide any personal information from that screenshot before you send it to us. For example, please hide everything from the Secret Key other than the first 6 characters after "A3". So it would look something like this: "A3-A12B34".

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

Hello,
    this is the support ticket: [#ZKV-83649-476]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I confirm that we have received your message, we will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: ZKV-83649-476

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

Hi, just to recap.
    The main thing I want to achieve is to import a 1pw vault on Windows into my newly created family account.
    There is no dialog to continue to transfer the data once I logged into my old account. (Initiated by clicking on "Add your account directly" in my web browser
    Copying the data from one vault to another does not work because my windows 1pw app does not let me connect with 2 accounts at the same time (same email but different secret key)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the recap! :+1:

• poitschkka01
    poitschkka01
    Community Member

Hello,
    problem of migration is solved:
    I created a new local vault
    I logged into my old account, copied everything into my local vault.
    Logged out from the old account and logged into my new account.
    1PW was asking to migrate my local vault into the new account.
    Confirmed and data got migrated.
    Deleted my local vault.

That was all.

• I'm glad to hear that worked out, @poitschkka01. :) Thank you for sharing.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.