To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrating from 1Password 6.8.8 to 7, 5 individuals to family

Options
cruzer573
cruzer573
Community Member

With the new version of Safari and the loss of a valid extension I am now forced transition to 1Password 7 (to retain features I've used for years) I have a few questions before I make the leap.

I have 5 family members each with their own standalone licenses previously purchased through the Mac App Store.
1). How do I safely transition to a family account and make sure that each of the 5 vaults transfer safely?
2). When migrating to a family account do I do this through the Mac App Store or via 1Password.com? Your site says to download v7 and all will be well, but mine is a complicated setup and I want clear instructions
3). When on a family account I assume that we each have our own vault, each vault is independent of the other?
4). I have elderly parents who also use 1Password based on my previous recommendations, can I migrate them into my family account? i.e having more than 5 members in family account.

And to my comment for the day. I would expect that an experienced development company like agilebits/1Password to have planned for customer transitions like this better. An email a couple of weeks in advance of significant change like this would have been very welcomed and would have smoothed the transition better. Failure to communicate these types of changes and letting a browser update communicate a change in support and functionality only frustrates your devoted user base and made me grit my teeth on something else I need to do today when I could have planned my time better.

All this said, I have greatly enjoyed using your product and expect to continue to do so for a long time.

I appreciate your support!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Saraswati
    Saraswati
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Totally agree with @cruzer573's comments regarding the failure to communicate to licensed users in advance about this significant change. I've used 1Password since its initial launch and this lack of communication is very disappointing and frustrating. I also would like to know the answers to all of the questions posed. My spouse and I have always had standalone licenses, but now considering the family license; I'm concerned about transitioning and whether or not each of us would have independent vaults and logins.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    OS Version: 10.14.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Jomoto
    Jomoto
    Community Member
    Options

Ruefully, and angrily agree with the comments above. My wife and I have had standalone licenses for many years going back to the earliest versions of 1Password. The way Version 7 works, and the way it was dropped like a stealth bomb on us, are deal killers. Having upgraded Safari and being forced to "upgrade" to 1P v 7, I'll have to stick around until I find an acceptable substitute from a company that values its users.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cruzer573! Welcome to the forum!

1). How do I safely transition to a family account and make sure that each of the 5 vaults transfer safely?

You can sign up for a 1Password Families account and then invite your family members to it. They will then be able to move their existing data to the new Families account.

2). When migrating to a family account do I do this through the Mac App Store or via 1Password.com? Your site says to download v7 and all will be well, but mine is a complicated setup and I want clear instructions

You create the account on 1Password.com. You also invite your family members on 1Password.com, but the actual migration needs to be done inside the app.

3). When on a family account I assume that we each have our own vault, each vault is independent of the other?

Correct.

4). I have elderly parents who also use 1Password based on my previous recommendations, can I migrate them into my family account? i.e having more than 5 members in family account.

Yes, you can have more than 5 members in a Families account. Any members over the limit will cost only an additional $1 per person per month.

Thank you also for the feedback and sorry for the frustration. I hope my answers helped make the transition a little bit better :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Saraswati! Welcome to the forum!

Please take a look at my answers above and let me know if you have any other questions :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jomoto! Welcome to the forum!

Having upgraded Safari and being forced to "upgrade" to 1P v 7, I'll have to stick around until I find an acceptable substitute from a company that values its users.

For completeness and for other people who might be reading this, you are not forced to upgrade to 1Password 7. Apple discontinued the Safari Extensions Gallery, which was required to install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari. This means that 1Password 6 still works with Firefox and Chrome, but you are right that if you absolutely want to use Safari, you need to upgrade to 1Password 7.

This discussion has been closed.