To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to upgrade from 1Password 6 standalone to 1Password7 standalone license

Options
mark_494
mark_494
Community Member

Hi I have been using 1Password as a standalone WLAN since 2004 and currently have 1Password 6 but due to latest release it no longer allows Safari 1Password extensions so I can see I need to upgrade to1Password7. I want to continue to use 1Password as standalone WLAN and the 1Password website says I can buy a standalone license rather than a membership. So I have downloaded 1Password7 but I can't see any option to set up as standalone using WLAN. On the first setup screen under 'Used 1Password before?' it lists options as 1Password.com, Sync using iCloud, Sync using Dropbox plus in addition under 'More Options' it has Search My Mac, Create a Standalone Vault or Restore from a backup.
None of those mention Standalone WLAN. I've tried Search My Mac but that that does not work and I can't find my previous backups and 1Password 6 appears to have been replaced with 1Password7 so I cannot open 1password 6 now to check where they went.
Can you help please?

1Password Version: 6.?.?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mark_494!

WLAN sync only works between one computer and one or more mobile devices. You cannot use it to sync two computers, so you will not see it under the more options in the welcome screen.

Where did you download 1Password 7 from? If you downloaded the app from our website, 1Password 7 should have picked up your existing data automatically.

• mark_494
    mark_494
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag-ana

I only want to use it on one iMac with 2 iPhones & 2 iPads. So I just need to set it up on the iMac with the existing 1Password 6 data and backup on can you confirm which option I need to pick please?

I downloaded the 1Password7 app it from the the 1Password website. I just deleted it and then downloaded it again from the link you provided above and I get the same options with no mention of WLAN.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_494:

If data did not transfer automatically, can you try creating a new standalone vault, and importing your 1Password 6 data from the File menu in the menu bar > Import... ?

• mark_494
    mark_494
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana

OK thanks. I'll try that and let you know how I get on.

Thanks, Mark

• :+1: :)

Ben

• mark_494
    mark_494
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana / Ben

I have now successfully upgraded to 1Password 7 ok and started the 1 month trial using an account. This allowed me to import my old data ok. I have also created a Primary vault using WLAN on my iMac and synced that ok with my other devices. So many thanks for your help.

But I can still see a Personal Vault which was originally a duplicate of the Primary one but has now diverged as I update the Primary. Ideally I don't want a Personal Vault on the internet anywhere as I believe using WLAN only, manually syncing devices when needed is more secure. So can you advise what features I would get by staying with the Account vs going Standalone license at the end of my months trial please? Currently going Standalone sounds like a better option for me but I'm concerned I would miss out on future updates etc and if I continue with an account is it possible to use that with WLAN only? And if I did continue with an Account but only used it as WLAN would any additional features not be available in that mode anyway?

Thanks, Mark

• @mark_494

We generally don't recommend mixing and matching standalone and membership (e.g. using a membership and a Primary vault / WLAN sync). If your concern with going all in with membership is the security of your data I'd recommend checking out our security guide:

About the 1Password security model

If you have any questions about this we'd be happy to discuss further. But in short I'd have to recommend either going all membership, or all standalone, rather than trying to merge them. As you've already started to see, that is very likely to cause difficulties / confusion.

Ben

• PaulSpellman
    PaulSpellman
    Community Member
    Options

So much confusion

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulSpellman! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please clarify what you find confusing? We would love to help if you could give us some more details :)

Thank you!

• PaulSpellman
    PaulSpellman
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't want to upgrade to 7, I have purchased license for 6, but the auto fill function is no longer working on 6. Is this a way that Password is forcing its long time users into a monthly pay product and not honoring prior licenses purchase.

• PaulSpellman
    PaulSpellman
    Community Member
    Options

Why would my account be labeled read only suddenly without any change by me.

• Hi @PaulSpellman,

It isn't that we aren't honoring prior license purchases. You're welcome to continue using the version you licensed for as long as you'd like. That said, we can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 is using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Licenses don't include upgrades, so if you'd like to upgrade to 1Password 7 to get the benefits associated with that (including support for Safari 13) that would not be covered by your current license. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mark_494
    mark_494
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben & ag_ana

I've reviewed the security documents as you suggested and have now started using 1Password 7 as a membership and all working well. I will probably stay with this now instead of the standalone way of working following your advice.
    Thanks for the prompt replies and support.

Cheers
    Mark

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_494, you are very welcome! I am happy to hear you are now using 1Password 7.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.