Windows 10 Clipboard History

mtissington
mtissington
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I think this has been asked before but I don't find it ..

With Windows 10 Clipboard history enabled I'm now seeing passwords in the Windows history - this is NOT GOOD.
This happens when I copy a password to the clipboard to paste into an application.
Surly there is a way to disable it from appearing in the history??

1Password Version: 7.3.705
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, latest
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clipboard

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtissington: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. With the Windows Clipboard History enabled, it's going to record all things you copy to the clipboard. If you don't want that to happen, I'd suggest disabling that feature in Windows. You can also not copy things there that you do not want to be exposed in that way. It's worth noting that regardless of Clipboard History, any app can access anything you copy to the clipboard, so you may want to avoid doing that whenever possible with sensitive information in general, not just specific to 1Password. Nothing can protect data there from malware or just badly behaved non-malicious apps. It's better to use 1Password's browser extension or "Type in window" to fill since that bypasses the clipboard entirely. And we're working with Microsoft to hopefully be able to implement an opt-out feature for Clipboard History, so that may help in the future as well, though I can't promise anything at this point.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Please pass the following link onto your developers - there is a fix for this - we have developed an app that also had to avoid the history - eventually we got a reply from Microsoft about how to do this :)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53190273/bypass-clipboard-history-in-the-windows-10-october-2018-update

Hope this helps!

P.S. Our product is https://activewords.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtissington: Indeed, it's something we've been working with Microsoft on, as we found in testing that it doesn't cover everything we need it to for 1Password. For example, the user can still manually copy without touching our code, so it would not be excluded from clipboard history in that case, so the user ends up with sensitive information in their clipboard history anyway. We're not willing to offer an "exclusion" feature unless we know that all 1Password users can count on it working for them all the time, so we'll continue to evaluate and hopefully have something in the future where 1Password can truly "opt-out". :)

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Well that's not very good is it!? In the mean time when every I press Copy from 1Password - it will end up the the Clipboard History - there is no reason not to implement this!

What you are effectively saying is that you are happy with my password going on the History when I press Copy.

Not very good at all!!

• MikeT
    edited August 2019

Hi @mtissington,

We've already tried the same APIs you linked to, it's the first thing we tried and it did not work in all conditions; it may be because we're using WPF or something else in our .NET setup that prevents it from working. We haven't found a method that works consistently and that's why we're working with Microsoft on this. Another problem is copying text in any fields and pressing Control + C instead of clicking the field, which still shows up in the cloud + clipboard history. We are also looking into bypassing all of our front end and seeing if we can intercept this at the low levels to prevent it from being stored in the clipboard but this is a much bigger change that'll take a while.

Basically, we need a comprehensive API call that opts the entire 1Password process out (like how other clipboard managers does this by blacklisting certain apps), not setting the clipboard history option to 0 because that isn't enough. There must be a way to prevent anything from 1Password being stored in the history through any way that users copy from 1Password, not just "copy to clipboard" button.

If we were to say that 1Password doesn't use Microsoft's cloud + clipboard history by only working in one or two areas like "Copy" button, we would be misleading people when they do something specific that can actually end up in the cloud + clipboard history. Instead, we're informing customers not to use cloud + clipboard history with 1Password until Microsoft gives us an official method to fully opt out of cloud + clipboard history as a process call, not a clipboard-specific call.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Well, I for one would MUCH prefer to have a partial solution as you work towards a complete solution.
    If I know that pressing Copy will bypass the clipboard history but pressing Control + C won't then I'll take that please.

As it is your forcing me to accept that everything goes to the history.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtissington: We are not. You can disable clipboard history. It is opt-in -- disabled by default -- as far as I can tell. We do not have plans to offer a feature that says "exclude 1Password data from clipboard history" if it cannot actually do that, which is true at present. That's the reason.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

I have to disagree, yes you are - no matter if its a partial solution - you should implement it!

I STRONGLY believe that a partial solution is better than no solution.
    Just give the user (us, me) the choice - instead of forcing me to disable History

I have to say that if I wasn't so hooked into 1Password I would abandon ship over your refusal to implement this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. Meanwhile, we'll continue to work with Microsoft on an actual solution.

• _mrks_
    _mrks_
    Community Member

I can't make a sound technical judgment on this - but honestly, it looks weird saying "aut caesar aut nihil".
    This is an issue and if there is a workaround, it shall be implemented and communicated. And no, disabling the feature at all is no solution, that's too easy.

I understand that you are looking for a perfect structural resolution. Well, I appreciated this but that's similar to having a defunct lock at the front door and instead of having it replaced, one says "Sorry, but we will have to wait for a better door with stronger overall resistance. We will have to wait for it and until it is mounted, we will have to live with the risk of the defunct lock"

• MikeT
    edited September 2019

mrks,

We understand but it is more like "we'll install this lock but your key won't work in it 50% of the times" rather stronger lock, even a working lock is better than a half-working lock.

We are not saying we'll never fix this but we're constantly looking into different solutions outside of waiting for a better solution from Microsoft. Hopefully, we'll have some good news soon.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Seems to me it's about educating the user and letting us choose. If I click your copy button then nothing will end up in the history. However if I right click and copy the it will be in the history. Use the correct key in the door and all is well. I think not implementing this at all is a bad choice.

• MikeT
    edited September 2019

It's not just right-click, it's also selecting with your mouse cursor and/or using Control + C.

We agree that this isn't an acceptable situation but we also disagree with implementing a fix where people have to think twice before figuring out which method doesn't work and or do work. Disabling the clipboard history for the moment is the best "workaround" until we finish implementing a proper system that will work 100% of the times or at the very least, more consistently.

This discussion has been closed.