No keyboard for membership password

Options
cmosentine
cmosentine
Community Member

Good Morning. This issue has been around for a while, probably since ios12 was released and I see it is still present in ios13. When I create a new membership record, when I go to type in my password I am presented with the number keys. There is no way I can see to switch to characters. I even tried the old school method of entering alphas using the number pad.

Any suggestions of a fix, or is this a “feature”?

Thanks for the assistance.

Comments

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member
    Options

I have am the same issue with 7.4.1 and iOS 13...help please

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmosentine!

I believe this is by design: the password for a Membership item could be different than the password for a regular online account (and in most cases it's probably more of a PIN than a regular password). If you require storing a regular password, you should use a Login item instead.

However, there is a workaround: below the password field in your Membership item, can you please try selecting Add new field and select Password from that list? In this new field, you will be able to use letters too :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loscarweb:

Can you please try the suggestion above and see if that helps you?

• cmosentine
    cmosentine
    Community Member
    Options

Ag_ana: I am afraid to report that adding a new password field has the same problem. Interestingly on my iPad the full keyboard is accessible. I employ a different technique by typing in the password into a note and then cut/paste it into the password field.

Regarding my use-case, I am a network administrator and I have many pieces of equipment that I need to log into, often using ssh, ftp, telnet, etc.. ( yes I know telnet is not encrypted.) In these cases I use the membership record. I don’t have a problem if the number pad comes up as default, but I should be able to switch to characters if need be.

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Chris.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmosentine:

Do you mind posting a screenshot of what you see when you tap on the additional password field, just to make sure we are looking at the same section in the app?

Also, I know it doesn't directly help you with this, but may I recommend using the Server category for this type of devices instead? I don't want to suggest changes to the way you use 1Password if Membership records work well for you, but I just thought I'd mention it, since the Server category was built with this type of devices in mind :)

• cmosentine
    cmosentine
    Community Member
    Options

Ag_ana: I tried again and I do get the characters keyboard. This is a work-around, but the original issue of only allowing numerals in the default password field should be fixed.

Thanks for your help, Chris.

• Thanks @cmosentine. It looks like this is an issue our development team is aware of and is investigating.

Ben

ref: b5/b5#6570

• cmosentine
    cmosentine
    Community Member
    Options

Ben: thanks for the update. I love 1Password and have used it since 2009!!!

• You're very welcome. Thank you for the kind words, and your long time usage of 1Password. 😃

Ben

This discussion has been closed.