1Password damaged, I have no backup. What should I do?

Options
Gianluca28
Gianluca28
Community Member

A few days ago the extension of 1 Password on safari was removed and I cannot open the program even from the computer. The message that comes up is "1Password is damaged and cannot be opened, Delete 1Password and download it again from the AppStore".
Unfortunately, I don't have a backup of the data stored inside, so I'm afraid of losing them all.
My purchase account is different from the one I use on this forum. I can give you my account in private. I also inform you that the version is 4.4.1 since I haven't updated it for a long time.

I would like to know what to do. I didn't do anything at the moment. An automatic message tells me to update but I'm afraid that by doing so I can lose everything. What should I do?

1Password Version: 4.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Gianluca28! I'm sorry for the trouble. First off, to try to put your mind at ease, that "damaged" message refers to the app only, not your data. Obviously, without taking a closer look, I can't promise anything, but I want to make sure just that message isn't causing you to panic; it's entirely possible (likely, even) that your data is just fine.

However, version 4.4.1 of 1Password for Mac is very old at this point, having been released in June of 2014, over five years ago (time flies)! Given the age of the version you're using, I'd say the best approach at this point would be not to try to solve this with a game of 20 Questions in this public forum. Instead, to get a better idea of exactly what the situation is on your Mac, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#SYW-28729-317]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

@Gianluca28 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: SYW-28729-317

• Gianluca28
    Gianluca28
    Community Member
    Options

Done!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gianluca28 - great! One of us will be with you shortly. :)

• Gianluca28
    Gianluca28
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot 🙏🏻

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gianluca28 - I've replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going that way instead of in two places at once. :)

This discussion has been closed.