1Password X and mutiple accounts

I have 2 1Password accounts setup (Corporate, Personal). When I log in using the app both unlock with one of the master passwords seamlessly. In X the behavior was similar until recently. (actually, it been happening a while)

Not sure what may have changed. Now I must unlock both separately in the extension. One unlocks when I click the icon and enter that master password. Then I must click the icon again, then click the gear, then click Settings, then scroll down and click on the locked account, then enter the other master password.

This gets really annoying after doing it several times a day. Have I got a setting wrong or is this expected behavior now?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 1.15.6
OS Version: MacOS 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ktollison,

Can I ask, do you use the same Master Password for both 1Password accounts? If they're different then I would expect 1Password X to only unlock one, requiring that you unlock the second independently. 1Password X is still quite new and there are likely areas where we need a bit more time to bring it in line with the other clients.

With 1Password for Mac a lot of the code goes all the way back to 1Password 4 for Mac and the notion that there is a Primary vault whose password unlocks everything. That concept was retained so that even if you only have 1Password accounts connected to it one is still held as being the master, allowing all the others to unlock at the same time.

We are looking at creating an integration between 1Password X and the native client if present so ultimately that work may help here too once it is ready.

• ktollison
    ktollison
    Community Member

Master passwords are different for each account. Maybe it was the original 1password extension not X that worked that way. Don't recall when I switched.

It would nice to have the primary vault function on X like the main app.

Thanks for the response

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ktollison – Thanks for that feedback! The desktop-dependent 1Password extension runs off of 1Password for Mac, so that one will unlock all of your accounts with one Master Password just like the desktop app. If you'd like to see the same behavior in 1Password X, you'd have to have the same Master Password for both of your accounts.

• tonynkh
    tonynkh
    Community Member

I'm not sure about the idea of having the same master password for both corporate and personal accounts. I have to reveal my corporate account master password to my employee for emergency recovery.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonynkh: If you are going to give your Master Password for one account to someone else, then yes, it's may good idea to not use the same one for your personal 1Password account -- though they would also need the Secret Key to be able to sign in on a new device.

However, it really shouldn't be necessary to give your Master Password to your corporate masters. After all, they can probably access your company email if needed, and could use account recovery there in an actual emergency -- without needing to ever know what your Master Password was. Something to consider.

• tonynkh
    tonynkh
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your reply. Fair enough, you do have a point.

I just installed 1P on Mac beta and 1P X beta, unlock both accounts with Touch ID, no need to change password. My issue resolved, at least for now :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, and glad that helped. It's still definitely beta, but I'm loving the desktop app integration for 1Password X too. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Eventually desktop app integration with 1Password X will come to Windows as well,. For now we're focused on developing this functionality with 1Password for Mac, since that's already quite an undertaking with multiple teams involved. 1Password for Windows will have the benefit of us having ironed out a lot of the kinks with this already once we're done with it in 1Password for Mac. :)

• WorldMan
    WorldMan
    Community Member

When I first setup 1Password X on my Mac under Firefox, it required a new Master Password because it wants a minimum length greater than the nine characters of my original Master Password. Thus when I use 1P mini, I use my original master password and when I use 1P X under my Firefox browser, I have to use the new extended master password. Now it appears that my personal vaults are different and the 1P X under Firefox does not access my Primary vault under Dropbox. Please guide me to a "help" article that is a detailed tutorial on managing my vaults so that all of my items that I store in the vaults are fully shared among my desktop Mac Mini and my Macbook laptops and my browsers (Firefox and Safari). Today, I tried to file a new software license key that would appear to both 1P mini, 1P full, and the 1P X running under my Firefox browser and I can't get the new license entry to appear in my personal vault under my 1P X in Firefox. I can't seem to manipulate my vaults in 1P X and 1P so they all point to the same personal vault. It is all very confusing. I wish I had not downloaded 1P X and set it up. So tell me how I can go back to the old 1P Extension that works under Firefox and would give me a single user interface again to access and maintain my secure items without 1Password Express.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WorldMan: Thanks for the info! You don't need a help article for this, as you've made it really straightforward. :)

The Primary (local, "On this Mac/PC", which you're using Dropbox to sync) vault is completely separate from your 1Password membership account. 1Password memberships don't use local vaults or 3rd parties to sync data, but rather all of that is handled by the 1Password.com server. You'll have a Personal/Private vault along with any others you've created in your account, and that data will be available anywhere you sign into it.

So what you need to do is move items you need from your Primary vault to the account and remove the old Primary vault (by disabling the local vaults option in Preferences > Advanced). Then you'll have just the 1Password account setup in the app, with all of your data in it, and it will unlock using the Master Password of your account as well.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• WorldMan
    WorldMan
    Community Member

@brenty: When I signed up on my membership account, I copied all the Dropbox vault items to a Personal vault and set the default to save new/modified in the personal vault. When I downloaded and installed 1Password Express under Firefox, it not seem to link to my personal vault. 1Password Express would not accept my Master Password to access my Personal vault because it had too few characters. I had to set an extended password (from 9 characters to 12). So I now have two passwords - one for 1Password and 1P Mini, and the longer one for 1P Express under Firefox.

If I download my Dropbox vault to my Personal vault again, will you merge the two vaults contents properly by date stamp to capture the new and modified entries properly? Should I change my Master Password on my online account and for 1P app and 1P mini app to the extended password I set for 1P Express to get access across the board to my "single" Personal Vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WorldMan: A 1Password membership account requires a minimum of ten characters for the Master Password. You would not have been able to use less than then when creating the account. So you'd need to enter the same ten-or-more character Master Password any time you sign into the account, or unlock an app which you've setup with only that account. 1Password X only works with a 1Password membership account, so you would definitely a) use your account's (ten-or-more character) Master Password to unlock it, and you will only be able to access data in your 1Password membership account there -- so no local vaults, Dropbox, etc.

So, to move forward, if you've made changes in the Primary (local) vault in 1Password for Mac app, it would be best to not re-copy everything to your account, but rather just the things you've changed. You can view the Primary vault and use the sort option at the top of the item list to view by "date modified" to select just the items you've changed recently and copy them over to your account.

Once you have all of the data you need in your account, you can simply remove the Primary vault as I described above. The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account setup in it. So, once you no longer have the Primary vault there, it will unlock using the Master Password you set for your account, since that will be all that remains.

This discussion has been closed.