How to edit a new password on iPad?

Options
EllenH
EllenH
Community Member

Yesterday, on my iPad Pro, I tried to log in to a site I hadn't used for months and was told I had to reset my password. 1Password generated a new password (3 words separated by a comma) but, as often happens, it did not meet the requirements of the site which imposes at least one digit or other special character and a mix of upper and lower case. When that happens, I simply modify the proposed password, replacing the commas with numbers and changing one or more characters to upper case. This is easy when done on the Mac, which is where I usually do this sort of thing. But there, on the iPad, I couldn't find how to change a newly generated password. It is not editable at all.

Am I missing something? Maybe even something obvious?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do when faced with this problem?

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.4.1
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EllenH!

Was this generated password stored inside the Passwords category in your 1Password app on. your iPad? If yes, you can edit the item from there :)

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

No, it was in the"Logins" category as this was a site I had used before.

I just now tried to edit an item like you suggest in the Passwords category and found it is possible to edit but it isn't easy as the editable field is the one with the black dots and when you move the cursor you don't see where it is in the field where the password is revealed. I hadn't tried that. I wanted to modify the revealed password like you can on the Mac.

In fact, in the Logins category, the situation is exactly the same.

I suppose there is a good reason for this behavior.

Anyway, I think that in situations like this (which are rare) I'll feel more comfortable creating a new password in the Passwords category and, when I'm satisfied, moving it to the login item. Or I'll just wait, if possible, till I'm back on the Mac…

Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EllenH: Yeah, sorry for the trouble there. iOS uses Secure Input feature on the actual password field, which not only masks it but ensures that other software cannot read or modify it. That's really a good thing, but it makes it difficult to use if you are trying to manually edit the password. Could you share why you're trying to do that? We're always working to improve the password generator in order to avoid that in the first place, so maybe there's a change we can make in the future that will help. :)

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: As I said in my original post, I use "words separated by commas" in my passwords. But many sites have requirements like at least one digit and special character, a mix of upper and lowercase, etc. So I generate three or four or more words, depending on the site and the level of security that I feel is appropriate (and also the limit to the number of characters accepted by the site), and manually change one or more commas to digits or other imposed characters, and change one or more letters to uppercase. When I'm sure the password is accepted, I save it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EllenH: Ohh I see what you mean. I'd recommend only using word-based passwords in cases where it is necessary to be able to remember and type the password. A character-based password is always going to be stronger than a word-based password of the same length. And, as you point out, many websites have specific requirements which can be troublesome, both for character-based passwords, but even more so for word-based, since you're missing things like numbers and special characters. It gets you a stronger password with less hassle. :)

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do know that a mix of characters gives a stronger password, but I'm always afraid to land in some situation where I have to type it so I got into the habit of using words. However, you are right and I'll use just characters next time on the iPad. Thanks.

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

I just looked at some of the passwords I had modified manually to meet the requirements of the site. Apparently, 1P doesn't appreciate my meddling with its passwords. One password (four words separated by commas) has 27 characters and the only change I made was replacing two commas with digits and changing four lowercase letters to uppercase. And now, 1P says my password is "Terrible". Is it really bad? Or is it just 1P telling me to keep my hands off?

• @EllenH

The password rating in 1Password is largely based on entropy (randomness). When the password generator creates a password we can calculate the entropy. If you modify it, or create your own, we can no longer calculate the entropy, and so 1Password assumes there is none, significantly lowering the rating. If the password was generated by the password generator and you've just added a few characters to it, then it likely isn't truly a 'terrible' password, we just don't have metrics by which to appropriate rate it.

Ben

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben: It's always nice to learn something new. Thanks for your answer.

P.S. Your team is unbelievably fast in responding. I'm really not used to such great service anymore… Thanks again.

• You are very welcome @EllenH. Thank you for the kind words. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.