1Password 7 doesn't fill with license purchased

System
edited September 2019 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Upgraded to 1Password 7 - but logins are old. How to I transfer current logins.

Comments

• jjgwarren
    jjgwarren
    Community Member

I see several other posts over the past 3 days with these same problems and more - even the autofill not working and I did purchase license for version 7. When will we start to get some answers. My logins are not in autofill and as I stated before, they are old login passwords. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jjgwarren!

Have you applied the license to 1Password 7 already after purchasing it? If you open 1Password and click on 1Password 7 in the menu bar > License..., does it tell you that your app is licensed correctly?

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

I've got the same problem. I don't have >license in the menu bar, just "My Account" asking me for secret key.... This kind of problem happens at each upgrade. Not really nice for your older clients that are using your solution from your start... when you sold only licenses... can you be a little more clear about what we have to do ? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mjouet! Welcome to the forum!

Where did you download 1Password 7 from? If you downloaded from the Mac App Store, that version only supports 1Password Memberships. If you purchased a license for 1Password 7, please download the app from our website instead and you will be able to apply your license to it under 1Password 7 > License... :)

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

Ahhh.... for sure....I did it from the App Store after an invitation from... 1Password...
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! I am happy I could clarify things a little bit, and thank you for your patience while we got to the bottom of this @Mjouet!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

Yes , you can help. I still can't put in my licence in . :'(
    because I can't select the file of the licence. I can see it but it can't be selected (greyish). What can of file do you expect ? I've got License.onepassword-license but can't save it.
    My 1Password6 got suppressed by downloading 1Password7. Getting me upset. Why is it each time so complex to update ?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@Mjouet 1Password 7 is a paid update (currently $50). If you downloaded it from the AgileBits website, there is a welcome screen where you can choose to buy a License instead of a subscription.

• jjgwarren
    jjgwarren
    Community Member

Hi - Yes - when I click on 1Password7 - License - it says "You are licensed." I purchased from the 1Password website. I'd like to revert back to 1Password6 and cancel the charge for 1Password7. Only seem to have problems.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mjouet - did you purchase a new license for 1Password 7 for Mac? As a completely new, full-version upgrade, 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade from previous versions. It requires either a new standalone license or a 1password.com membership.

I'm sorry for the trouble and confusion. Truthfully, a 1Password membership/account solves these issues because there are no new license files to purchase separately or install; all 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are included with a 1password.com membership/account: you just download and install the new version, and get back to what you were doing.

If you've already got your data in 1Password 7 for Mac, you should see a "Read Only" badge in the top right of your items in the main 1Password window. Click this (assuming you've installed our version and not the Mac App Store version), and you'll see the Purchase Options window, where you can click the "Need a license" link to be taken to our FastSpring store where you can purchase a new standalone license, or you can start a 30-day free trial of a 1Password membership. Let me know if you have questions! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjgwarren - we don't handle refunds or financial details of purchases on this public forum, so please get in touch with our sales team at sales@1password.com via email; they'll be in the best position to assist you. Let us know here if you have any trouble.

• jjgwarren
    jjgwarren
    Community Member

Thanks - so it's possible to revert back to 1Password6 if I decide to do that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjgwarren - yes, though we can't recommend reverting to version 6 or an earlier version as any kind of stable solution for the long term. When new full-version upgrades are released, the previous version enters legacy status, which means it will no longer receive development attention of any kind (like compatibility fixes or new features), except for critical security updates. Especially if you intend to continue upgrading the other aspects of your security setup such as macOS itself and your browser(s) -- and you should do this -- incompatibilities will only become more likely over time. Very old versions of 1Password such as 2 and 3 don't even open on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) any longer, for example.

However, if you want to revert to 1Password 6 for Mac for as long as it continues to work for you, instructions can be found here. Hope that helps!

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

@Lars, I am really upset with that. You change your commercial rules every few years . 1Password is not reliable. I 've already bought you 3 lifetime licences ! 1 for Mac, 1 for PC and 1 for Android.... they were said as lifetime licences and now I have to buy an other one ???? Not fair.
    Your way of changing your commercial rules now and then is really getting me upset. How can I be confident ? Next year you might grow up your annual fees of 100% or even more... You see me really disappointed and annoyed. You might lose an old user but my little finger tells me you don't care.

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

It's incredible... even if I want to proceed with the One Password Membership I can't ! because my email adresse has already an account - of course ! it was the only way to ask on this forum- .... and so I have to connect with "my secret key" I don't have because I bought stand alone licenses... it's a real bad dream.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mjouet - it's definitely true that 1Password changes over time, no question about that. But I think there might be some misunderstanding about what "lifetime license" means and does not mean. It's not a phrase we use -- but although 1Password licenses never expire, they have never, in our history, meant or included "free upgrades forever." Standalone licenses purchased from our online store have always been sold per-person, per-platform and per-version. Per-person means each user needs his/her own license. Per-platform means a license for 1Password for Mac doesn't work to license 1Password for Windows (we did sell a "bundle" license for a time, but this cost more; individual licenses have never worked "everywhere"), and per-version means that each license works for the version it was purchased for. There are no guarantees a standalone license for one version will work for the next full-version upgrade of 1Password -- though we have historically been pretty generous with upgrades. We made versions 5 and 6 free upgrades for holders of 1Password 4 for Mac licenses...but that's not guaranteed, and we handle it per-upgrade.

It's incredible... even if I want to proceed with the One Password Membership I can't ! because my email adresse has already an account - of course ! it was the only way to ask on this forum

I'm not sure I understand this -- the account you create to be able to post on this forum has nothing to do with your actual 1Password.com account in which your data is stored; they're entirely separate systems. If the 1password.com account sign-up page is telling you that your email address is in use, that means you or someone else with access to this email address you're using created a trial 1Password account at some point in the past. We limit the number of accounts that can be created from a single email address to one, to prevent abuse. But even if you don't remember creating this trial account or someone else did it who had access to your email address, you can visit https://my.1password.com/support and enter your email address to receive an email that will allow you to delete the "dead" account and free up your email address to create another one if you like. Hope that's helpful. :)

• Mjouet
    Mjouet
    Community Member

@Lars , I created an other account and am trying this month of trial. I read your arguments and if I understand what you say I keep on thinking that your marketing director is a failure. The way I'm in this makes me feel fudged. I got abused by the way this upgrade was introduced to me. I would have lot preferred to turn into your Membership program because I've chosen it. No more comment.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mjouet - I'm sorry you feel that way. Let us know if there's anything further we can do for you or questions we can answer. We're here if you need us.

• MichaelVoris
    MichaelVoris
    Community Member

I updated to 7 on 9/22. Works great on my iPhone but not on my mac. I cannot install the extension and it does not open the web pages.
    I have 1Password 7
    Version 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002)
    1Password Beta

• MichaelVoris
    MichaelVoris
    Community Member

Is it because I have the Beta version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @MichaelVoris! I'm glad to hear 1Password for iOS is working well for you. If you have a 1Password membership/account, you'll need to sign into it in 1Password 7 for Mac. If you open 1Password on your Mac and look at 1Password > Preferences > Vaults, what do you see? How many vaults and what are their names?

• MichaelVoris
    MichaelVoris
    Community Member

Apparently I only have one vault labeled personal.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MichaelVoris - thanks for the update. Is that what you see in 1Password for iOS as well? A single vault called Personal? If so, is there data in it? In other words, are your two devices using the same 1Password account and its vault?

If you're still having trouble with the extension and filling data into Login pages, what browser(s) are you using? In Safari, the 1Password extension will be installed automatically by the app itself, but you may need to turn it on -- look in Safari > Preferences > Extensions for the presence of it. Also, make sure the checkbox in the left sidebar for the 1Password extension is checked. If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you may need to install the extension if you don't see it in chrome://extensions or in Firefox's Add-Ons. You can get the appropriate extensions from our downloads page. Let me know how you get on, or if you're still having problems.

• MichaelVoris
    MichaelVoris
    Community Member

With the Safari update it all " magically" started working.

• I'm glad to hear it is working now, @MichaelVoris. Thanks for the update.

Ben

• MichaelVoris
    MichaelVoris
    Community Member

I'm glad too and I appreciate agilebits having this forum even though my problem was resolved w/o your help. Thank you.

• You're very welcome and thank you for the kind words. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.