Please explain the upgrade to v7

I have a permanent license for V6 (Mac and iOS). What I think I understand about V7 is that it will be required if I upgrade Mac OS to Catalina, and only if I want to use the Safari extension. In other words, none of the functionality of V6 will change in Catalina other than what I am able to do when I click on the icon in the Safari menu bar. Rather than using the extension, I can open the program, choose a login or identity, which will result in a page in Safari being loaded and filled in. Is this correct?

Regardless, I do recognize the need to upgrade software as OSs change. My understanding about V7 is that I can purchase a single license (not a membership) for all my devices that will suffice until V7 is somehow unusable, i.e., what I currently have with V6 (I think). However, I have been unable to find out the cost for the V7 license. I have no 1PW account because of my permanent V6 license. I have downloaded the upgrade from the web site but am leery of installing it at this point. Will it overwrite or otherwise disable V6? At what point will I be asked to pay for the upgrade?

Comments

• Hi @AllUserNamesInUse

(nice username ;) )

v7 will be required for Safari 13, regardless of which OS you're using. So even if you stay on Mojave but update Safari you'd need 1Password 7 in order to have Safari integration. It probably goes without saying but we'd always recommend keeping up to date with all of your software — 1Password, your browser(s), and your OS(es) in particular. As far as I'm aware you could indeed continue to use v6 on macOS Catalina and just be without Safari integration, but that isn't something we're going to be testing, and wouldn't be in a position to fix anything even if that were not the case.

When you install 1Password 7 it will uninstall 1Password 6 as the two aren't compatible. They can't be run side-by-side. So I'd recommend holding off on doing the installation until you've decided which direction to go. Licenses are still available for those who are familiar with them and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach to syncing that they offer, but for the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included.

With a membership (subscription) you always have access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices. The Pro features for iOS & Android are included, and there is no need to separately purchase licenses for 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's part all part of the package. Additionally custom built sync is included. To sync a device you simply sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app on that device and the rest is automagical. This makes adding a new device or replacing a device incredibly simple. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here.

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 for Mac welcome screen. They are normally $65 USD + tax but are (as of writing) currently on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Thanks for the thorough explanation! Your discussion of auto sync reminded me of an issue I need to get straight. Is it true that when I upgrade to 7 all my info will reside in “the cloud?” I think you might agree that, from an extreme viewpoint, one does not want important information stored anywhere except on one’s physical drives (what I think is the current situation with my V6).

• You are very welcome. "The cloud" isn't so much a question of v6 vs v7, but rather membership vs standalone. With membership all of your 1Password data is stored on 1Password.com. With standalone your data is likely synced via either iCloud or Dropbox. You can check in 1Password > Settings > Sync (iOS) or 1Password > Preferences > Sync (Mac). Either way your data is encrypted before being sent anywhere. The difference is 1Password.com was custom designed by us specifically with the purpose of storing 1Password data, whereas iCloud and Dropbox are more generic solutions. There are things that are possible with membership that are not possible with standalone (such as secure sharing) because of this.

About the 1Password security model

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

My settings say WLAN. ???

• Okay. That would be the sync option I would recommend least of any of them due to its limitations and technical complexity. 1Password.com is going to provide a much smoother experience.

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Am I right in thinking WLAN involves only my devices and my home network, i.e., nothing stored anywhere other than on my devices? It appears I can retain WLAN under v7, correct? I get the complexity part (you can that see from an earlier thread) but, if the limitations are solely that one has to perform an action rather than having it done for you, I don't find that very painful.

I am leaning towards upgrading to 7 with a license. Like other dinosaurs, I am not a fan of the subscription approach. Also, I believe (hope) 1PW is not going to hit me for a new full-price license every time some browser get tweaked. I don't mind paying for a genuine upgrade, as long as it isn't issued three months after the last paid upgrade........ we'll see.........

Thanks very much for all your assistance. The 1PW support team really is a model for how things should be done!

Oh, just an FYI in the same vein as some in the forum and the in App Store have complained about. As I said, I downloaded v7 but did not install it. Today I booted my computer, hit 1PW min in Safari, and was told it could not find the application. I deleted the .pkg download and the problem disappeared. Scary. But this is part and parcel with current digital security and the notion (correct) that the typical computer user has no clue or concern about what is going on under the hood. That's the way I think about my car so I guess I shouldn't throw stones!

• Am I right in thinking WLAN involves only my devices and my home network, i.e., nothing stored anywhere other than on my devices? It appears I can retain WLAN under v7, correct?

WLAN sync only involves your devices and whatever hardware is creating the wireless network you are syncing over. If you own that device, then yes, that is correct. WLAN sync is present in 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for iOS, but it is not available in 1Password 7 for Windows. I mention that primarily for the benefit of anyone else who might read this thread.

I am leaning towards upgrading to 7 with a license.

That is an option. :)

I don't mind paying for a genuine upgrade, as long as it isn't issued three months after the last paid upgrade........ we'll see.........

As the offering continues to mature there will likely be more incremental changes vs monumental ones. There are only so many features you can (or should) stuff into a product. It is possible to reach a point where software tries to do too much and becomes bloated and unwieldy. That doesn't mean any less development time is required to continue to keep up with the ever changing landscape. While I suspect there are still some flashy new features to come I think it is worth while to make that point and see if expectations can be set accordingly.

Today I booted my computer, hit 1PW min in Safari, and was told it could not find the application. I deleted the .pkg download and the problem disappeared.

I'm struggling to understand how simply having the installer in your downloads folder could have caused that. I would tend to think that was more likely correlation than causation, and something other than deleting the installer is what resolved the problem (even if that something was just time). Would be easy enough to test... If you download the installer again do the same symptoms occur?

Thanks very much for all your assistance. The 1PW support team really is a model for how things should be done!

You've made me blush. Thanks so much for saying so! Happy to help. :)

Ben

• Ok, that Safari 13 update is now queued up. I went to AgileBits to find the "upgrade to 7 with license" option but was unsuccessful. I do hope it is buried in there somewhere :)

• I'd also like some help with this. In a previous thread, I went through this issue and was told that an install of 7 would proceed as with any other update, and that my license would be recognized. The sole "problem" was that the browser extension in 6 would not work with Safari 13. So, I held off until the Safari update was "required." We are now at that point, so I downloaded and installed 7. (but not Safari). I cannot get past the "what type of membership do you want" window that opens as soon as I select a login for a web page within the main app. So, I now have, as best I can tell, no functionality. My choices at this point seem to be either pay the membership fees or not install the Safari update. If I have to have a membership, I may go with the latter, but to do so, I will have to uninstall 7 and revert to 6 - I seem to recall that was not a trivial process. It would be a shame to require long-time license holders to go to a subscription plan. Further, if i understand correctly, it is a bit of a bother to keep the WAN sync in 7. - I don't want any other type of sync. Help!

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

1PW 6 disappeared when 7 was installed so I reinstalled 6 using the legacy download. Unfortunately, when I open it and attempt a login, I am told that my trial has expired (?). Found the section about locating the license but the Finder comes up with nothing.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password7 installation.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@AllUserNamesInUse: I've merged your posts back into this thread so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places, as that makes everyone -- including you -- have to wait longer for a response. Please just reply here going forward.

I'd also like some help with this. In a previous thread, I went through this issue and was told that an install of 7 would proceed as with any other update, and that my license would be recognized.

I don't see where ben said anything like that. Above he answered for you,

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 for Mac welcome screen. They are normally $65 USD + tax but are (as of writing) currently on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax.

1Password for Mac version 7 is not free. You can get it either a) as part of a 1Password membership or b) purchasing a license for that version. A license will only work with the version purchased.

The sole "problem" was that the browser extension in 6 would not work with Safari 13. So, I held off until the Safari update was "required." We are now at that point, so I downloaded and installed 7. (but not Safari). I cannot get past the "what type of membership do you want" window that opens as soon as I select a login for a web page within the main app. So, I now have, as best I can tell, no functionality. My choices at this point seem to be either pay the membership fees or not install the Safari update. If I have to have a membership, I may go with the latter, but to do so, I will have to uninstall 7 and revert to 6 - I seem to recall that was not a trivial process. It would be a shame to require long-time license holders to go to a subscription plan. Further, if i understand correctly, it is a bit of a bother to keep the WAN sync in 7. - I don't want any other type of sync. Help!

Going back to Ben's first reply to you,

1PW 6 disappeared when 7 was installed so I reinstalled 6 using the legacy download. Unfortunately, when I open it and attempt a login, I am told that my trial has expired (?). Found the section about locating the license but the Finder comes up with nothing.

Did you purchase 1Password 6 from the App Store, or from our website?

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

From the website. Now I understand the license part (clearly didn't quite get it before - somehow thought I had one more version before having to buy a new license), I've bought the license. If it turns out to be a better option fiscally than SaS, then great - time will tell I guess. Log ins are working again but neither the mini app nor the extension delivers log ins for sites other than sites to which I navigate. They don't provide a dropdown of all log ins. Maybe this works only with Safari 13? Maybe I need to install the extension again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AllUserNamesInUse: Ah, thanks for letting me know! Indeed, 1Password mini is focused on Suggestions based on the current context, since you can access everything in the sidebar and item list in the main 1Password app. But while I don't recommend it, if you really want to you can choose All Items and scroll through everything:

I'd suggestion you give search a try though: just start typing, and you can find whatever you need in 1Password much faster than scrolling through hundreds -- or even thousands -- of items. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.