1Password won't autofill logins after upgrading to version 7

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1 Password 7 cannot autofill in Safari Technology Preview on Mojave.

Comments

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed 1P7 and it is causing me all sorts of headaches, the most urgent one being failure of the Safari extension to autofill logins. As I understand this has been a problem for months now and it appears to be a problem still.
    I am on Mojave 10.14.6 and use Safari 13.0. 1P safari extension is 7.3.2 and all settings are as they are supposed to be.

When will this be solved ? It is one of the main assets for 1P

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - I'm sorry for the trouble. I've also split your discussion off into a separate thread, since it wasn't really related to the original one you commented in.

If you just recently upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, the most-likely reason it isn't filling your Logins and Passwords into Safari is because it hasn't been paid for. As a completely new, full-version upgrade, 1Password 7 for Mac requires either the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version, or a 1password.com membership. The easiest way to verify this is looking at any of your items in the main 1Password window -- not the mini. Do you see a Read Only badge up at the top-right of the item, like this?

If so, that's the reason: without either a license or a 1Password membership, 1Password 7 for Mac will be in Read Only mode, which means you cannot add, delete or edit any data, and you can't use the browser extension. Clicking that Read Only badge on any of your items should bring up the Purchase Options screen, where you can choose to begin a 1password.com membership or purchase a standalone license:

Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Yes, I see the Read-Only :-(
    I hate subscriptions, so I would like a license and understand I need to download from your website. I don't see a price anywhere, so what does a license cost ? Do I need to reinstall or can I purchase a license from the installed 1P7 version I downloaded from the App store ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only, so if you want a standalone license, then yes, you'll have to uninstall the Mac App Store version and install our version. Don't worry, this is easy and can be done without disturbing your data. Just quit all running browsers and quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Then delete the Mac App Store copy of 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash. Visit our downloads page and download/install our version. When that finishes, your data should be exactly the same as it was -- and this time, if you click the "Need a license" link on the Purchase Options window, you'll be taken to our FastSpring store where you can buy a standalone license. They're current on sale for $49.99USD, which is over 23% off the regular retail price of $64.99. Let me know if you run into any difficulties -- but you shouldn't.

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you.

The license is for a single user. Does this mean a single computer ? We are using two accounts on the same Mac and up till now we were able to use the same app with separate vaults. That is still possible, I assume ?

Alternatively, if these same two users would use 1P7 via a membership what would the cost be ?

Sorry for all these questions, but I find the info on your website not very clear

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - so, if you have two users in the home who both want to use 1Password 7 for Mac, you would need two standalone licenses, as they're sold per-person and per-platform. That means each person needs his/her own license, and licenses only work for the version/platform for which they were purchased (a 1Password 7 for Mac license does not also license 1Password 7 for Windows, and vice-versa).

Since the standalone licenses are currently $49.99 each, that's just under $99.98 for two. As with most software, future full-version upgrades may require new purchases for the new version(s). On the membership side, I would recommend a 1Password Families account. This is by far the most economical offering we have -- and it comes with numerous significant benefits over standalone. A 1Password Families membership allows up to five people in a household to use 1Password on as many devices of all types (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) as you own/use. It costs $59.98/yr if paid annually (works out to $4.99/mo). And you each get not only a default Private vault but also the family-wide Shared vault which is excellent for shared credentials like the family Netflix password or other things you share in common like bank accounts, credit cards, even Secure Notes with things like garage door or building-entry codes on them. It's what I use with my own family, and the advantages over standalone are substantial. You can also create as many additional vaults as you like, and invite any configuration of users to them. In your case, you probably don't need that since it's just the two of you, but you could.

Hope this helps, but let us know if there's anything else we can clarify for you. :)

• gracemagill
    gracemagill
    Community Member
    Options

I have had 1password for many years. I. never paid for anything??? I need this for one person,me.
    what do I do next neither 6 or7 work. grace

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

So I signed up for a family license and it is working on my Mac. Now I want to sync with my iPhone. Starting 1P there is allowing me to add my account, for which I scan the QR code and enter the Master password. But it fails with "Invalid login information". I am absolutely sure I entered the correct master password and the rest is filled in from the scan. HELP !!!! What is going on now ???

IT IS EVEN WORSE: I CANNOT SIGN IN TO MY 1P ON MY MAC EITHER. THE MASTER PASSWORD IS [removed by 1Password; this is a family-friendly forum]

I also cannot login on the 1P website because the login data is in ...... 1Password

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @gracemagill! I'm sorry for the trouble! With the exception of a few very brief promotions back in the 2009 era, we've never offered 1Password for Mac entirely free of charge, as it's the only thing we do and, well, we enjoy eating. :) You or someone must have purchased 1Password at some point in the past, but exactly when and what you purchased may require some sleuthing. However, I'm more concerned with your data and making sure you can use 1Password. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#AAX-63641-576]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @gracemagill only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: AAX-63641-576

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - I'm sorry for the trouble and I'll keep helping until you get to a satisfactory resolution, but I'm going to have to ask you to ease up on the profanity, please. Thanks for your cooperation.

The Master Password for the account you just opened is whatever you used when you visited the the main 1Password Families sign-up page. However, this Master Password is NOT (yet) what opens the app on your devices. That will still be whatever you've been using in the past for your standalone 1Password. If you've previously had your data in standalone mode in 1Password 6 for Mac, that data is still available to you, but let's not go there just yet. If you can't sign into the newly-created account in a browser at https://my.1password.com because either the Master Password or the Secret Key is wrong, then we'll need to delete that account and create another one. But before we do that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#PHB-43549-363]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @hadouma only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: PHB-43549-363

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back at me. You will have to excuse me, but this is my worst nightmare coming true: potentially lose all my passwords.
    I have sent the mail to support!1password.com for you to investigate

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - thanks -- one of us will be with you shortly. But for now, as the famous Douglas Adams book once said: don't panic. Your data isn't gone, it's not damaged, and you can still access it assuming you know the Master Password you were previously using for standalone 1Password. Hang in there. :)

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's exactly the problem. I trust the info is out there somewhere, but I can not access it. Each request for the master password is rejected, both in the safari extension and in the app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma -- I've replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going in that channel rather than discussing the specific details of your individual 1Password setup here in this public forum. :)

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, when creating the Family account, I had to enter credit card details. There I saw an additional $6 per month will be billed. I don't think (hope) this is correct, since the membership itself is only $5. Can you help me out ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hadouma - $6/mo would be the cost if you did this via the Mac App Store. It's instead of, rather than in addition to, the $4.99/mo the same 1Password Families membership costs when billed directly through our own payment processor.

• hadouma
    hadouma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, I had figured that out 🙄

Can you please check your mail ? I am stuck now at adding the new account to the 1P app and importing my vault. As it is now, I still cannot use 1P on my Mac

• Let's continue via email, to avoid duplicating efforts. Thanks. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.