What happens when my hard disk crashes and is unrecoverable?

Andrew431
Andrew431
Community Member

What happens when my hard disk crashes and is unrecoverable?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:What happens when my hard disk crashes and is unrecoverable?

Comments

• Hi @Andrew431

Ideally you'd be backing up your data using Time Machine or similar, but if you're not then based on the information you provided it appears you'd need to recover your 1Password data from Dropbox. We typically recommend using 1Password membership, which includes automatic off-site backups:

About 1Password membership

This would be a replacement for Dropbox with regard to your 1Password data.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And do make sure to print out your Secret Key if you get a membership; the install process provides you with an Emergency Kit to print out.. It is an essential part of 1PW that only needs to be entered once per machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, while in most cases we'll have access to our Secret Key, etc. on a device where we're already using 1Password, the Emergency Kit is a way for us to get into our 1Password accounts to get our data back even if all of our devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed. :+1:

• Andrew431
    Andrew431
    Community Member

Got it.
    by the way, TimeMachine backups are not guaranteed to be good or complete. While I do use it (and 2 other back up systems, just paranoid), it seems that it always gets in a snit about something sooner or later and stops backing up. Dropbox and Crashplan just do their thing all the time without fail. Next time I get to the bank, my secret key will be going in there.
    Thanks.

• by the way, TimeMachine backups are not guaranteed to be good or complete.

That is a very good point. It is always a good idea to test whatever backup system you choose to use to be sure you'll be able to recover in the event you need to.

Next time I get to the bank, my secret key will be going in there.

This is something I've long recommended (essentially since our membership service launched), but some recent stories about banks accidentally drilling the lock and removing the contents of the wrong box makes me more cautious in that recommendation. It still may be a reasonable precaution to take, but I'd personally store it in a sealed envelope within the box and it certainly wouldn't be my only copy.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.