Migrated to family account and want to clean up old primary

timbartley
timbartley
Community Member

Hi,

I've recently migrated to to 1password family. I'm trying to remove my primary vault (1Password Mac) but it says that it will force my master password to by my company's team's account password (that I already had set up) rather than my new family account's password? Is there a way to choose my family password to be the new master password instead?

Cheers,

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @timbartley!

The Master Password to unlock the app is the Master Password of the first account you add to the app. In your case, this is your Team's account, so if you want to unlock 1Password with your Families Master Password instead, you can sign out from the Teams account, remove your Primary vault, and add your Teams account once again.

This way, when you remove your Primary vault, the only account in the app will be your Families account, so that will be the Master Password you will use to unlock the app from then on.

I hope this helps!

• ylan
    ylan
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana,

Where is my old primary vault on my mac located? I want to back it up before I act according to your suggestion above.

Humbly, Ylan

• Hi @ylan

You can back it up using the File > Backup menu in 1Password for Mac. The backup files are stored in:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Ben

• ylan
    ylan
    Community Member

Cheers!

Ylan

• You're very welcome @ylan. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.