Just migrated to families - question on local backups

omoua
omoua
Community Member

I just migrated from 1P v.6 to 1P families v.7. I was previously syncing to Dropbox. I intend to use 1P's servers for my backups instead of Dropbox. Set everything up, pretty straightforward. Since my data file was in Dropbox, I assume that the upgrade pulled information from there. Now, I want to keep a local backup of 1P on all of our computers in the event we lose Internet which happens with some frequency out where we live.

When I reference this page on how to do this
https://support.1password.com/local-folder/
Instructions say to choose the sync icon. I don't have this choice in 1P preferences. How do I accomplish creating a local backup of data? I want to REMOVE my data from Dropbox, but KEEP a local copy.

If I click the Dropbox icon where my data is stored, I get the message "Migrate to your 1Password account? Your local vault was moved to your 1Password Account on another device. Sign in to migrate this Mac to your account"

I assume the "other device" means 1Password remote servers. I chose "not now" as I didn't know what this message means.

Is my canonical copy of 1P data now only on remove 1P servers, or is there also a local copy of my data on my computer? It seems so , for if I disconnect from the Internet I'm still able to open 1Password. Thank you for all your help.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• omoua
    omoua
    Community Member

Doing some looking around I was wondering why I had duplicates on my devices - looks like I had my private as well as primary checked. I unchecked all but "private" on all my devices and duplicates are gone. Also, I see the sync option in preferences on all devices EXCEPT for mine. It seems the "primary" vault is on my Mac, and one called "1password primary" is the Dropbox database and it shows in the vault section of the preferences.

I suppose I should delete at this time all vaults except the one located in "private" to get a canonical version. But I don't see an option under vaults to do a delete. Should I delete all other vaults at this time, and if so how to accomplish?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

Hi @omoua,

I'd be happy to help with that.

Now, I want to keep a local backup of 1P on all of our computers in the event we lose Internet which happens with some frequency out where we live.

This happens automatically with 1Password membership — no additional configuration required.

I unchecked all but "private" on all my devices and duplicates are gone.

Once you've migrated your data Private should be checked and Primary should be deleted from all devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

If you have more than one standalone vault, Primary has to be the last one deleted (e.g. delete all other standalone vaults first).

You can verify your data has been migrated by signing in at https://my.1password.com/
    If you see all of your data there then you can delete your Primary vault.

Ben

• omoua
    omoua
    Community Member

OK, thanks Ben. What is the path to where the local, personal vault files are kept in OSX?

• @omoua

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password :)

Ben

• omoua
    omoua
    Community Member

OK, I deleted my Dropbox folder with the data. I forgot that at one time I also synced to iCloud. I unchecked the sync option under OX preferences. Do you know if this action removes the 1Password from the iCloud by default? I didn't get a message like some applications saying that the cloud data is gone.

• @omoua

The data is likely still in iCloud. If it is you can remove it using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data option from the menu bar in 1Password 7 for Mac.

Ben

• omoua
    omoua
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt responses. Support can be a thankless job! I was skeptical about moving to your service but after reading the security white paper and setting up, have been overall impressed.

• So glad to hear it! You're very welcome. My pleasure to help. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.