Why does 1Password7 for Mojave, seem to forget my 1P password to open?

Options
blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

iMac 17,1, Mojave 10.14.6, 24GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Recently I have noticed that 1Password7 seems to forget the 1Password7 password. I notice this when I will have run the iMac all afternoon. No many how many times I type my 1Password7 password, 1P does not recognize it. I must restart my machine. Go back to where I am working, and re-enter the 1Password7 password.

Why is this happening?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: I can't remember

Comments

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Should read: No matter how many times I type my 1Password7 password,"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto: I'm not sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "1Password7 seems to forget the 1Password7 password"? 1Password never knows or cares what your Master Password is; it's simply using it as an input to decrypt the data, since it was used to encrypt it in the first place. Can you clarify?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, to use 1P I must enter my 1P master password. I'm saying after the computer has run continuously all afternoon, working at home, if I choose the 1P icon in my menubar late in the afternoon and enter my 1P password, I get the 1P RED LOCK and the password blank shakes. It's the same 1P password I use everyday and have for the past year. So why do I have to restart the computer for 1P to accept my password and open? If I restart, 1P receives the same password and opens up. It's the same dang password, why do I have to restart my computer for the same password to work in 1P opening window?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@blackxacto - I'm sorry for the troubles, but that's literally not possible. As brenty alluded to, the decryption of your data is a mathematical function using AES256 - when you type your Master Password into the lock screen, 1Password uses that AES256 function to produce a cryptographic key derived from what you typed. That key is then "put into the lock" that was created when you first created the Master Password. If that key derived from what you input just now matches the one derived when you created the Master Password, your data is decrypted. If it doesn't, decryption fails, and you get the red lock icon with the "shake" animation. There isn't any way for 1Password to arbitrarily decide to change what your Master Password is or should be, any more than it's possible for the lock on your front door to randomly decide it doesn't want to accept the same key you've been using to open it for years. And in fact, it's even more cut-and-dried than that: with physical keys and locks, metal parts can wear and break -- with AES256 as used in 1Password, it's straight math: always the same.

If you're regularly getting the red "shake" animation, then you're entering the Master Password incorrectly -- it only takes a single character mistyped or out of place. It's possible your keyboard has an intermittent or stuck key, or that something else is causing what works in the morning to not work later in the day...but the math doesn't change. Do you have either spaces or any truly unusual characters in your Master Password (not regular symbols, but diacriticals or anything not of the usual symbol set)? Don't answer specifically with the actual characters if you DO, just think about it and let me know.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I only use letters. Simple like: buni. I use complex for mac signin. All my data on all drives are encrypted.. not sure causes 1p to not accept the simple letters after several hours of use, but if i restart the mac, the simple password is accepted.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto - it might be worthwhile to temporarily change your Master Password to something very simple that you aren't likely to mis-type and see if the issue persists. The general principles I mentioned remain true -- it's a straight mathematical function: either the key derived from what you type into the lock screen matches the one you created when you set up your account/vault...or it doesn't. If you try to verify/reproduce this over time and it's easily reproducible, let us know.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, Lars, i will change the master password and see what happens. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto - one other thing to check for might be the presence of multiple copies of 1Password for Mac, with different data sets. Do you have only one copy of 1Password for Mac?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Did a complete search using Find any File, only have one application. How many "1password account export 2019080x-08052x.zip" are needed. I have a long column of these zip archive files.

Lars, how do i change the Master Password on a Mojave Mac? I have only one Vault. There is no "Change Master Password" button under Preferences/Security/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto - actually, let's hold off on changing the password for now. Do you use 1Password in an app on any other devices -- syncing with this same set of data? If so, do you ever have the same issue on those devices -- password not being accepted?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Not really, on 10.5” iPad Pro & iPhone SE, 1password is always available at the same simple master password. It just does this on the Mojave iMac. One afternoon I will hit the menu at 1p logo, put in my master password I use on all 3 devices, and 1p gives me a red lock and shakes the password box. Only thing to stop this so far is restarting the iMac? Should I try force quit 1p, then restart 1p?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@blackxacto: I'm really sorry for the trouble. You could try quitting 1Password completely (Command Option Control Q).

If you're still experiencing the issue, I'd like you to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#AGM-96476-777]

If you’re reading this and you are not blackxacto, this Support ID is for blackxacto only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Thanks in advance!

ref: AGM-96476-777

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I have come to the conclusion that i had my Caps lock key ON. We cant see what we type so i didnt know. Anyway its not happening any longer. I want to thank all the great assistance i received from 1P.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's actually good news. Thanks for the update! If I had a dollar for every time I did that, I'd be able to buy a new iPad right now. Glad you were able to get it sorted. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.