Fingerprint Unlock unavailable

mistical
mistical
Community Member

Since the latest Android Beta (7.3.1.BETA-4) fingerprint authentication no longer works and when I try to enable it again I get the following error below.

While attempting to enable the fingerprint unlock (or when it was enabled after update) it keeps trying to authenticate via face unlock but this does not work and it never shows the fingerprint (Galaxy S10+ device here).

On a side note The latest iOS version (I'm pretty certain my wife is in non-beta, just regular builds and up to date from App Store, her Face Unlock is no longer working. I see others in the iOS forum here having the same issue too with no replies yet.

Fingerprint Unlock unavailable

Fingerprint Unlock could not be enabled because of an error occured: [javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException]android.security.keystore.AndroidKeyStoreCipherSpiBase.engineDoFinal(AndroidKeyStoreCiperSpiBase.java:519)
javax.crpyto.Cipher.doFinal(Cipher.java:2055)com.agilebits.onepassword.mgr.FingerprintAuthMgr.storeMasterKey(FingerprintAuthMgr.java:334)
com.agilebits.onepassword.activity.SettingsSecurityFrag.onBiometricAuthenticated(SettingsSecurityFrag.java:137)
com.agilebits.onepassword.mgr.FingerprintAuthMgr$2.onAuthenticationSucceeded(FingerprintAuthMgr.java:252)

1Password Version: 7.3.1.BETA-4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9, Galaxy S10+
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mistical thanks for getting in touch. :)

We're aware of an issue in the recent beta which is causing problems for users with newer Samsung devices. It appears to just be affecting devices with the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor (such as yours).

For now, if you need fingerprint unlock back, you'll need to leave the beta and reinstall the stable build of the app. To do this, open Google Play and find the 1Password listing, under the "You're a beta tester" header, tap "Leave". You'll then need to uninstall the beta app and install the stable app.

You're welcome to then rejoin the beta at any time, either from the 1Password listing in Google Play or this page: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4#beta

And if you wanted to keep an eye on our release notes, then these are available from this page: https://support.1password.com/betas/?android

I'll let you know when I hear something :+1:

Regarding your wife's iOS device, I'd recommend sending an email in to us with a diagnostics report, that way we can take a closer look at what may be happening. This guide has the details on how to send a report in: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

• gree
    gree
    Community Member

Hi, I've similar problems on S8+ where iris scanner is now the default biometric authentication for 1password.
    It works and I'm able to access the vault with scanning my iris, but I'm no longer able to use my fingerprint, which is more reliable for me.

App version (7.3.1.BETA-4)
    Android version: 9.0

• cubrown
    cubrown
    Community Member

I uninstalled 1Pass. When I goto google Play it only has the Beta version. I went to website on my phone, signed into account to try and download still only beta version. I get out of Beta version. Can't find where to uncheck box

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cubrown: I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you clarify? This discussion is about fingerprint unlock.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gree: Thanks for letting us know. We're looking into it. We're using Android's native biometric APIs, which are agnostic -- i.e. we're not saying "use fingerprint" or "use facial recognition"; rather, that's handled by your device. It seems that some devices with both options are defaulting to one or the other, but you may be able to find a setting for that. Either way, I if you disable facial recognition on the device it shouldn't be able to use that, and use fingerprint instead. Let me know what you find!

• cubrown
    cubrown
    Community Member

On my MacOS Beta is checked, but greyed out. On my android phone there is no app for old version only beta. I uninstalled from my phone and it reinstalled the Beta version. My PC is on a stable release. On my android i tried the pin code, it is hit and miss if it works. I want off beta. The only app in the playstore is "1Password-Password Manager and secure wallet (Beta)"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cubrown: I'm not sure what your comments have to do with this discussion about fingerprint unlock on Android, but the stable version of 1Password is definitely available in the Google Play store. But if you've opted into the beta already, you'll need to leave it first to go back to stable. You can find information for all platforms here:

Use 1Password beta releases

Cheers! :)

• @mistical we've now released an update to the beta which reverts the biometric unlock change for devices on Android 9, so if you update the app in Google Play then you should be able to activate Fingerprint Unlock again.

Let me know how you get on :)

This discussion has been closed.