Switching from Safari to Chrome in order to keep 1Password 6, but can't find the correct extension.

trevortosh
trevortosh
Community Member

I recently updated Safari to version 13, which killed the usage of 1Password. I updated to 7, but I've decided it's not worth buying another 1Password license in order to keep Safari, and I've decided to switch back to 1Password 6 and change my browser to Chrome. However, I can only seem to find the current 1Password 7 extension and not one that will work for version 6 on Chrome. Any help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Switching from Safari to Chrome in order to keep 1Password 6, but can't find the correct extension.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @trevortosh! Sorry for the confusion. The extension in Chrome (or Firefox) isn't the problem (unless you downloaded/installed 1Password X, which only works with a 1Password account) -- it's the fact that you still have 1Password 7 for Mac installed. At least, that's what it sounds like from your description. Look in your Applications folder, and if you do still have 1Password 7 installed, try this:

1. Quit all running browsers
    2. Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Open Activity Monitor (inside your Utilities folder, which is in the Applications folder) and type 1pass into the search bar.
    4. If it results in any 1Password processes that are still running, close them by selecting each one in turn in the sidebar and clicking the "X" button up near the top left of the Activity Monitor window
    5. Delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash and restart your Mac.
    6. After restart, re-open 1Password 6 for Mac and all your data should be just as you left it.
    7. Open Chrome and click chrome://extensions -- check for the presence of the companion extension (4.7.5.90), NOT 1Password X.

Let me know how that works for you.

• trevortosh
    trevortosh
    Community Member

I'm sorry, I should have specified, but I already followed those instructions from another post. I have completely deleted version 7, and I now only have 6 active. When I go to the extensions, there is nothing related to 1Password (I removed the 1Password X extension). I can access 1Password 6 just fine through the Mini window and the app itself, just not through chrome, since there is no extension. When I open the mini window, a link appears at the top saying "Add chrome extension," (in the screenshot) but it just takes me to the download for version 7 and X (also in the screenshot). I just need an extension for Chrome that will work with version 6. I hope that helped clarify!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@trevortosh

When I open the mini window, a link appears at the top saying "Add chrome extension," (in the screenshot) but it just takes me to the download for version 7 and X (also in the screenshot).

I don't understand this. 1Password extensions are not tied to specific versions of 1Password for Mac. The current version of the extension for Chrome is 4.7.5.90 -- and you can download it from this link if you're having trouble getting it via other means. Let me know how that works for you.

This discussion has been closed.