Migrated my iMac from 1P 6 standalone to 1P7 membership. Where/how do I get 1P7 for my iPhone?

ccts025
ccts025
Community Member

I'm sure I'm missed a road sign somewhere, but now that my iMac (High Sierra) is running 1P 7.3.2, I'd like to get my iPhone 7 and an older iMac (running El Capitan) up on a compatible 1P version. Where do I go to accomplish that?

I used to sync my iMac's Primary vault with my iPhone using WLAN. But since I deleted that local vault as part of the migration to the Personal vault, I assume all my other devices share that vault, eliminating the need for periodic syncs - right?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1P 7.3.2 installed on iMac - where/how do I get IP 7 for iPhone

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ccts025! You don't. :) If you're using automatic updates on iOS, then you've been running 1Password 7 for iOS for a while now, probably without realizing it, since it was first released in November of 2017. And on the Mac side, you don't need to be running the same version everywhere; 6 and 7 can coexist quite happily in the same 1Password "ecosystem," as long as the sync method works everywhere -- and if you're using a 1Password account, it will. Likewise iCloud. You didn't say, so I'm covering all bases. If you use Dropbox, you might need to update your sync keychain, but let me know if that's the case.

• ccts025
    ccts025
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    I may have not described my situation completely. I only updated my iMac last week. My iPhone still had a Primary vault that I could no longer sync. But as I fiddled with it, I was asked under Settings to login to 1P...com, and "Add Existing Account". Now I see my Personal Account on my iPhone, and it all is sync'd up. 1 down, 1 to go ;-)

I'll go to my old iMac next. It has an old 6.n.n vault left over from before I got my new iMac and moved my stand-alone 1P license over to it. The old Primary vault is obviously outdated and not sync'd to anything. So do I just download/install a "trial" version 7 of 1P onto the old iMac, and delete the old Primary vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ccts025 - first of all, if you have what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your 1Password account's vault(s), then make sure on every device (like your iPhone) where you use a 1Password app that you not only sign into your account, but also remove your Primary vault.

On your old iMac, if that data is outdated and you're certain you don't need it, then yes -- but first, we'll want to remove that old data so 1Password 7 for Mac doesn't think you want to import it. Here's how:

1. In 1Password 6 for Mac, click the lock button at the top right corner of the main window
    2. In your Mac's menubar, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data
    3. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    4. Delete the 1Password 6 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    5. Visit our downloads page and download a copy of the current 1Password 7 for Mac installer (7.3.2 as of today). Run it.
    6. When you open 1Password 7 for Mac for the first time, you'll be a "new user" (at least, to the app); just choose to sign into your 1Password account.

Let me know how that works for you.

• ccts025
    ccts025
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    Everything worked up until step 5, when it told me that my OS (El Capitan 10.11.6) wasn't current enough to install 7.3.2. And my "early 2009" iMac apparently can even run High Sierra. So am I catch 22, or do you know of a sneaky way for me to have 1P on that iMac?

• ccts025
    ccts025
    Community Member

typo. my old iMac can NOT run High Sierra.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ccts025:

If you are on an older operating system, you can try installing 1Password 6. When you launch the app for the first time, you can login to your 1Password account there as well, as it does support 1Password accounts like version 7.

• ccts025
    ccts025
    Community Member

Hi,
    That worked great!
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad Ana was able to help. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.