1Password 7 didn't offer to Autosave my new login at VanityFair.com

Options
Ward
Ward
Community Member
edited September 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm a longtime 1Password user who just upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7. (At the same time, I created a Family Account on 1Password.com, but I doubt that's relevant to my Autosave problem.)

After purchasing a new subscription to VanityFair.com, I signed out of my account and signed back in to give 1Password the opportunity to save my signin email address and password. But 1Password didn't pop up its Autosave window. So I signed out again, and on the next signin I manually created a new 1Password login for the Vanity Fair site (at <https://www.vanityfair.com/account/sign-in>).

I verified Autosave is enabled in my 1Password 7 Browser Preferences.

I know Autosave occasionally misses a new login. However, the last time 1Password 6 Autosave failed for me was at least a year ago. So I suspect something may be amiss with my new 1Password 7 world.

Update: My Autosave problem may be unique to the Vanity Fair site. I just discovered the login I manually saved has my password in the "username" field and no "password" field. So it appears 1Password is being tripped up by Vanity Fair's signin form.

My revised question is, "Is there a way to create a functioning Login entry for VanityFair.com?"

-- Ward

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:autosave

Comments

• Hi Ward! I hope you're finding your 1Password account and 1Password 7 experience enjoyable, this issue aside. :smile:

You mentioned that you manually created a login — do you mean that you followed this guide? Following the steps on that page, I was able to create a login that filled both the email address and password fields appropriately.

• Ward
    Ward
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @ag_michaelc, for your speedy response.

My initial attempt to manually create a login was just what is described in "this guide" page. After reading your response, I went back and carefully followed the directions in the guide. 1Password offered to create a new login or replace the existing "Vanity Fair" login – I chose Replace, and my password still wound up in the username field. So I moved that erroneous login to the Trash. Creating a New Login did the same as before. I repeated the Move to Trash and New Login steps numerous times, experiment with leaving my text cursor in one field or the other or neither field, getting the same result every time. My final experiment was to empty the Trash, which didn't help.

I'm using Safari 12.1.2 on High Sierra (10.13.6). I've held off updating to Safari 13 due to warnings about this new release breaking many/most/all extensions.

I have not had time to test 1Password 7.3.2 with Firefox and Chrome.

-- Ward

• That's certainly peculiar — I'm not having any difficulty with Safari or Firefox. I am already on Safari 13, so I can't test things in Safari 12; it could certainly be very browser-specific, although that would surprise me.

You're right that Safari 13 won't work with extensions that aren't bundled with apps (Safari App Extensions). 1Password is not affected by this change with 1Password 7, since the extension is bundled with the app. However, since I don't know what other extensions you're running, I of course want you to upgrade when you're confident you can do so without it affecting your overall workflow — but I do recommend making it a priority: it's always a good idea to stay on top of software updates for security reasons.

That all said, since I'm having no problem in Firefox or Safari, maybe the best thing for you here, if you're not experiencing issues with other sites generally, is just to edit the item in the main 1Password app so that it looks like this:

Note the web form details: make sure those labels and values are stored exactly like mine, but of course with your proper, real values.

Let me know how that goes. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.