Roll back to 1Password 6?

Options
bgoodz
bgoodz
Community Member

Hi, can I roll back to 1P 6? Had downloaded and payed for 6 for Mac desktop from App Store few years back and really like it. Sync iPhone & iPad via Dropbox. Somehow in my confusion I’ve updated to 1P 7 (but not the paid version I’ve learned since Safari auto sign on wasn’t working but I did load the new safari extension). Everything was working great with 6 and I’m starting to get flustered. Don’t really want a monthly subscription and from what I’ve read I will have to delete 7 (from App Store- I think) and install 7 with a license from website. Thinking of possibly deleting 7 and re- download 6 again from App Store....easy peasy and auto sign on should work like before. Really liked that feature plus having all sign ons & passwords in one secure place.
Thank you for any suggestions and or advice
Bgoodz

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.3.3 BETA 2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• 1pplytdy
    1pplytdy
    Community Member
    Options

Feeling your pain, waiting for your answer. I feel I was duped by the upgrade. Worst website ever on just straight laying out the pros and cons, pricing and what the differences were. The website is a rabbit hole of links that take one down trying to get a straight answer only to feel even more confused. I have hated every one of the updates since 1P3 and I think this is it for me. 1P always takes days to learn and who has that kind of time. I run a business and feel there must be a more user friendly password program that will actually do autofill (which 1P7 still doesn't after months of user complaints)
    Looking forward to how to roll back while I seek other solutions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - you can downgrade to 1Password 6 for Mac, but we can't recommend intentionally reverting to a retired version that's no longer receiving development attention -- and that goes for not just 1Password but macOS, your browser(s) and any other critical security apps/infrastructure you run.

If you're using 1Password in standalone mode (local data, Dropbox sync), then 1Password 7 for Mac will be in Read Only mode until you authorize it with either the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version or a 1password.com membership/subscription. Read Only mode means: you cannot add, delete or edit any data in 1Password and you can't use the browser extension to fill or save. To be clear: 1Password 7 for Mac isn't "broken," it hasn't been authorized with a purchase.

I'd be more than happy to help you get set up with either a standalone license or a subscription. It sounds as if the former is what you're leaning towards, and yes, you'd need to uninstall from the Mac App Store and download our version to be able to purchase one. Here are steps:

1. Quit all running browsers
    2. Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete the Mac App Store copy of the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and download the most-recent installer for 1Password 7 for Mac (7.3.2 as of now), and run it.
    5. When you re-open 1Password 7 for Mac after re-installation, all your data will be as it was, with the exception that if you click the Read Only badge at the top right of any of your items in the main window, it will open the Purchase Options window, where you'll be able to click the link to purchase a standalone license from our FastSpring store, like this:

Standalone licenses are currently on sale for $49.99, over 23% off the regular retail price of $64.99, though I can't say for how much longer that sale will be in effect. Let me know if you have any questions or hit any snags!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@1pplytdy - I'm sorry you feel that way. This many decades into the personal computer era, it's relatively standard for full-version upgrades of software to require purchase of a new license to use the new version, so it wasn't our intent to "trick" anyone by charging for 1Password 7 for Mac.

Again, we can't recommend intentionally reverting to a retired version of any of your critical security applications (browser, OS, 1Password, and others), especially if you plan to upgrade other aspects of your system and only leave one or two on older versions. That's a recipe for incompatibilities and trouble. Specifics of downgrading to version 6 depend on where your version of 1Password 6 for Mac was originally downloaded from, but instructions are here if you want them.

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks for your response and I understand. A few questions going forth. I just checked the APP store and both 1P6 & 7 are in the purchased section (don't remember paying anything for 1P7 yesterday though) however when I click on 1P7 "Read Only" (from reading previous posts) I get the window screen shot you show above for buying a license or membership. When I click "need a license" it takes me to the screen to purchase license. Does this mean I have the correct 1P7 application? Or, do I still need to delete this one and follow your instructions above?
    And, will the IP7 on Mac desktop still function with my 1P on my iPhone and iPad as far as syncing with Drop Box as was the case with 1P6 a few days ago.

Thank You,
    bgoodz

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - if you can see the actual purchase screen for our FastSpring store to purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac, then that means you have our version installed; the Mac App Store version does not allow you to do that, because - like all software downloaded/installed from the Mac App Store, 1Password 7 for Mac from Apple is tied to your Apple ID and doesn't require an external license key or file. No one pays anything to download and install 1Password 7 for Mac because that's the way we set it up -- it just will be in Read Only mode if it isn't authorized by payment, either applying a standalone license or adding a valid 1password.com account into the app.

If you want to be 100% sure, then in 1Password 7 for Mac, click 1Password > About, and you'll see not only your version number but where you got it from as well.

If you have automatic updates installed on your iOS devices, then chances are you've been using 1Password 7 for iOS for quite a while already, possibly without even realizing it, since it was released in November of 2017. And yes, once you add a license to 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll be able to sync using Dropbox, iCloud or WLAN.

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, we're getting there. Here's what 1P7 "about" reflects
    Version 7.3.3 Beta-2 (70303002) but nothing about where purchased. Since the 1P7 icon is in App Store purchases that must be where I downloaded it from unless that's the Safari extension. However, 1P7 "Read Only" directs me to the purchased site (either a license or subscription). So, I think the question now is do I go ahead and purchase the license via what I've got loaded now or wipe it all out and start over.....uggg
    Thank You for your assistance
    bgoodz

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/bo/xqcav0ntjrqd.png

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, the first link is the screen shot from 1P7 "About"

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Is this your FastSpring Store? when I click on purchase a license this is where it takes me.
    bgoodz

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry Lars, clicked on buy a license and now I see the FastSprings Store at the bottom...so are we good to go then?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@bgoodz - let me start from the top of your four posts here: if you have the beta version, then it's from us; you can't get beta versions in the Mac App Store. So you're good to go on that front. And yes, you found your way to the FastSpring store, and you look like you're all set. If you entered your payment details and completed the purchase, you'll receive an email from FastSpring on our behalf which will contain a blue button that, when clicked while 1Password is running and unlocked, will install your license file. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, I'll attempt that purchase a little later today. I think Im good to go but perplexed to the 1P7 icon in the app store

• Hi @bgoodz

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary there. Do you mean the fact that it shows up as a "purchased" app? If so that's because the download is free... just like your HP Easy Scan app that is also listed there. Being "purchased" in that context doesn't mean any money was exchanged. Does that help clarify the situation? If that's not what you were asking could you please elaborate? Thanks!

Ben

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, you explained it. Thank you for all the explanations & instructions. I’ll proceed with the license purchase a bit later today. But Lars posted you can’t get the beta version from the App Store and I have the beta version so what’s that 1P7 app in the purchased section of my App Store.? Kinda confusing. But I’ll give the FastSprings license purchase a whirl little later. I still like 1Password but simply attempting no to get any crossmojinations (conflictions) started. Who knows what I did to get the beta version, thought I was following on screen instructions when updating 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Thanks Ben,
    Bgoodz

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - all that means is that at some point, you DID download/install 1Password from the Mac App Store -- looks like both the older version and 1Password 7 for Mac. I'd check around the hard drive to make sure you don't have more than one version installed currently, because that can play havoc with things...but assuming that was done and then removed a while back, you should be fine. :)

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks. Yes, the earlier version (first time purchase) was downloaded and been in use until I downloaded the new version 1P7 (I think both are shown in App Store) and that is when a question mark (?) showed up on 1P icon on task tray along with a new 1P icon to the right. Nothing has been removed from the system currently except the old icon with question mark removed by me on the task tray. Thank you for the suggestion to look around the system and remove any older versions. Should be in applications folder?
    Thanks Guys

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - what you see in your Mac's Dock are what the Windows world would refer to as "shortcuts" and what we refer to as "aliases." It's basically just a pointer link to the actual application (from which it also borrows its icon). These are tied to specific full-versions of your apps. So, if you remove an older version for which you had a static icon in the dock...that icon becomes "orphaned" because the app to which it pointed no longer exists. That's when you'll see that question mark overlaid on top of the icon. You can safely remove it (just click-drag it up out of the Dock until you see "Remove," then let go). Just make sure you don't have multiple copies of the 1Password app itself installed. Otherwise, you should be good to go. :)

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I show doing a search of the HD. The application Folder only shows 1P7 App & 1P.app.zip

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - that seems fine to me; there are no additional active 1Password applications, so nothing to interfere in that way.

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

ok, thanks guys for your assistance and expertise. I'll give the license purchase a whirl with fingers crossed.
    bgoodz

• bgoodz
    bgoodz
    Community Member
    Options

License purchase from FastSprings went pretty slick. everything up and running and auto sign on working as in the past. Thanks Lars & Ben for all your help with instructions and explanations.
    bgoodz

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bgoodz - awesome! Glad Ben and I were able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.