1Password7 doesn't insert password automatically like 1Password6 did

citroenDS
citroenDS
Community Member

Two questions:

1) I've just downloaded 1Password7 on a free 30 day trial. I was previously using 1Password6.

I've got it on a MBP, running 10.13.6 and Safari 13.0.1

The installation seemed to be fine (incl Safari extension) but when I try to use it on any login page, 1PW7 doe not fill in the password field.

What am I doing wrong?

2) What does 'pin on screen' mean?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @citroenDS

I'm sorry you are having trouble filling your items after upgrading. When you are on a login page and open 1Password mini (either using the keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the extension icon) do you see the Login item you're expecting for that page? If so, does it have an 'AutoFill' button on it? What does clicking on that button do?

What does 'pin on screen' mean?

It causes the item's details to "pop out" into a new window, which will remain on the screen as the foremost window until you close it. 1Password mini itself will close after clicking 'pin on screen'. If you were familiar with the anchor icon in 1Password 6, this is the same as that was.

Ben

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

the login item comes up correctly, but there is no autofill button

• @citroenDS,

Okay, thanks for the additional information. Could you please post a screenshot showing the Safari > Preferences > Extensions window, with 1Password highlighted (if it appears there)?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Do you have a 'Go' button where 'AutoFill' appears on my first screenshot, like this:

Ben

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

i just tried uploading a screenshot, and it shows when i preview it - but not on the forum thread, even several mins later

• @citroenDS

Did you hit the 'post comment' button after previewing the post? The only comment I'm seeing in this thread after mine is the one where you reported the issue, which leads me to believe it didn't get posted.

Ben

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

yes, posted it after previewing it... and i've just done the same again. still not showing?

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

• Sorry about that @citroenDS. I see what happened. For some reason your posts were getting filtered as spam. I've released them from the spam filter and cleaned up the duplicates. We should be set now. In reviewing your screenshot there doesn't seem to be anything wrong on that end.

Could you please let me know about this?

Do you have a 'Go' button where 'AutoFill' appears on my first screenshot, like this

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

Ben

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

there's no 'go' button either

• @citroenDS

Do each of your Login items, particularly the ones you have noticed this problem with, have appropriate website fields on them? E.g. my Login item for this website has a website field that has https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin on it, as that is the URL for the sign-in page of the forum.

Ben

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

it's not that there is a problem with some sites - 1PW7 is not working properly on any site.

Login items shown - as in your example - are fine.

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

...picking up from where we left off yesterday, this is what my 1PW7 Mini looks like >

• hafas
    hafas
    Community Member

Hey!
    Same problem here. After the update to 1PW 7, there is no chance to fill in login data to any website, regardless using safari or firefox... Several restarts did not help so far.

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store
    Systemversion: macOS 10.14.6 (18G95)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@citroenDS - I see you have the mini set to open to All Items instead of Suggestions. Try this: click 1Password > Preferences > Mini and set the mini to open to "Suggestions" instead of "All Items." Open your browser-of-choice, visit a site for which you have an account, and invoke the browser extension by clicking it or using the keyboard combination ⌘\. Let me know what you discover. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @hafas! I'm not sure this is the same problem. When you look at your 1Password data in the main 1Password window (not the mini/extension), do you see a Read Only badge at the top-right of any of your items, like this?

If so, that means you haven't authorized 1Password 7 for Mac with either a new standalone license for the new version or a 1Password subscription/membership. You'll need to click the Read Only badge to pull up the Purchase Options window to see your choices. Let me know if you have questions or run into difficulties.

If that's not the issue (i.e. - if you don't see a Read Only badge on your items), let me know that as well.

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

i think your explanation to 'hafas' applies to me too. I have the 'Read Only' badge top right in the main 1PW7. I haven't authorised it yet because I thought I had a 30 day free trial, and I downloaded it only yesterday. Don't I get to try the new version in full working order?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@citroenDS - if you have the Read Only badge on your items as well, then yes, that's the same issue -- it's not to do with the mini or changes in 1Password 7 for Mac from previous versions. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't authorised it yet because I thought I had a 30 day free trial, and I downloaded it only yesterday. Don't I get to try the new version in full working order?

Absolutely, if you create a 1Password.com membership. There's a full 30-day trial of 1Password accounts, which would also allow you to use 1Password 7 for Mac unrestricted during that time, but because 1Password accounts are the way forward for virtually all users, we're no longer offering a free trial of just the 1Password 7 for Mac app alone as a standalone product.

If you'd like to try out a 1password.com membership, head over to the main 1Password sign-up page and create your account. Then add it into the 1Password 7 for Mac app and you'll have full functionality for 30 days. Let me know if you have questions. :)

• citroenDS
    citroenDS
    Community Member

well, that is very disappointing - i do not like the subscription model at all (infamously spearheaded by Adobe) and would want to buy the standalone license. It hardly seems fair to offer a fully working 30 day trial only if I buy by one purchasing method, and not the other.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

We're no longer advertising standalone licenses, and as such do not offer a trial period with them. They are still available for those who are already familiar with the situation and the "DIY" nature of them. Membership is the way forward. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.