1Password 6.8.9 to 1Password 7 Families 30 day trial forcing me to migrate my vault to 1Password

Options
WhatPassword
WhatPassword
Community Member

Like others, i find myself moving to 1Password 7 Family to deal with Safari changes that AgileBits is not releasing a Safari extension to work with v6.8.9. My wife and i both have a individual 1P v6 purchases, so we decided to move to Family plan ONLY because this support forum clearly stated in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/525181#Comment_525181 that:

You can sign up for an account on the website, and then add this account to the app. You should not be prompted to migrate your data automatically since you have more than one local vault, but in case you are, just refuse the automatic migration

I signed up, downloaded macOS 1P 7 app, installed 1P 7 app, started it, and i immediately come up to this dialog:

If i close the window, then 1P 7 quits.

If i select the only other thing that i can select on a menu that might help, "License..." on the "1Password7" menu, i get this dialog:

While BOTH buttons are enabled clicking on them only gives me an error beep when i try.

And Quit/command-Q is disabled in menu as well as not working from the keyboard.

I next go to login to 1password.com to see if i can do anything there. It is asking for my "Master Password". I do not remember giving my current Master Password i use for my current iCloud vaults to 1password.com and i'm concerned. But then i try the password i used to create the account when doing the 30 day trial. It was not clear that this password IS my Master Password. I find i can change it so that is good.

Ok, i'm logged in. I see i have a vault in 1password.com, with 3 items in it generated for me. Fine. I can ignore that i hope.

Somehow while doing above, the 1P 7 app (still waiting patiently for my "1Password Registration" as in the screen shot above) changed to show the Preferences window as if one of my clicks had gotten through:

And again, all three buttons that are enabled only produce error beeps when trying to click them. I am left having to force quit the app. Ok it is force quit. Restarting gets me into the same loop described above.

I am seriously unimpressed with this transition, as many others have said. And we are the dedicated customers who will report the issues -- how many are just walking away.

I can't get to test using my iCloud vault staying in iCloud.

Dear AgileBits, please let me know if there is anyway to proceed so that i can:

• Not migrate any of my vaults to 1password.com
  • Continue to use my 1P vault from iCloud

Anxiously awaiting how to proceed as i do not want to move to another password manager but will if i have to (sigh).

Peace,
WhatPassword

1Password Version: 6.8.9 MacApp Store to 7.2.3 Family
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @WhatPassword! I'm sorry for the confusion. What you're experiencing is correct even if it's confusing.

Here's how this is supposed to work: when you install 1Password 7 for Mac, the first time you run it, it will check to see if you have 1Password 6 for Mac installed -- in other words, if you have existing 1Password data. If you do, it will import it into the new version, with one exception: 1Password for Mac has long been available from two sources -- directly from us, and also from the Mac App Store. Due to Apple's sandboxing requirements, the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6 for Mac and our version stored their data in different locations in your Library folder, so when upgrading from version 6 to version 7, the new version checks for the presence of the older version's data in both locations. In most cases, it finds data in only one of those locations and imports it without giving you a window like the one in your screenshot. But when it finds data in both places, indicating you've had both our version and the Mac App Store version installed, it gives you the option of which data set to import. 1Password 7 for Mac will recommend whichever version appears to have been used more recently (as you see highlighted in blue in your screenshot)...but the choice is yours.

The fact that you got that option/window in your first screenshot means that at one point or another in the past, you had installed 1Password 6 for Mac from both our website and the Mac App Store. When that happens, 1Password doesn't know which data set is current - or which one you want to use, so it stops and offers you this choice. In your case, given that the recommended option has over 200 more items and has been used just a couple of days ago, and the other option hasn't been opened or touched since October of last year, I'd suggest that the recommendation is probably correct -- but only you would know that for certain; that's why you're offered a choice.

The other issue here is that you appear to have opened a 1Password account/membership...but you're also saying that you want to keep your standalone data synced via iCloud and "not migrate any of my vaults to 1password.com." That means you want a standalone license, not a 1Password account. I'd like to help you sort these issues out, but rather than discussing the specific details of your 1Password setup in this public forum, to get a better idea of where things stand on your Mac right now, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#XUF-26441-155]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

@WhatPassword only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: XUF-26441-155

• WhatPassword
    WhatPassword
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I got the Family plan so that both my wife and i wouldn't have to each pay for an individual plan. What is confusing is that the support staff said you can skip over the importing/migration of existing vault when you start up 1P7, which apparently you can't.

Here is why i have two vaults. Licensing stopped working after an update from Mac App Store, i contacted support and they gave me a standalone license and told me to download the standalone version of 1P6. At one point Mac App Store said there was another update, so i updated and then went back to that thread of your app. The screen capture just happened to be taken when i had clicked on the older vault... not an indication that i was going to use the older vault for import/migration as i don't want to migrate at all.

I have made the troubleshooting report and emailed with the Subject line as requested.

So my question is, can i have the Family plan, NOT migrate my existing vault, only use iCloud syncing, invite my wife and have her do the same? That is not clear from the web site.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Peace,
    WhatPassword

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WhatPassword - I've replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going that way, rather than in two places at once. :)

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member
    Options

Not to pile on, but I'm being forced into 1Password7. Must I start paying fees, or do I get to use it because I already own a license to 1Password6?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @paulbartell! You're not being forced into 1Password 7. 1Password 6 for Mac still works quite well for the systems and related software it was designed for. It even works in the current macOS 10.14.6 (“Mojave”) -- but, as is the case with all older versions of software, once they're no longer in development, incompatibilities with new versions of OS, browser, etc only increase over time. Safari 13 is the first to really break compatibility with 1Password 6 for Mac due to the changes in extension format Apple introduced in Safari 12. Version 12 was transitional -- Apple allowed users to install both the new Safari App Extension format and the older .safariextz format that 1Password 6 for Mac used, but Safari 13 no longer allows the older format of extensions -- that's why you may have gotten a message after upgrading that many of your older extensions were no longer available. If you're willing to switch to Chrome or Firefox, however, you can keep right on using the externally-installed extension that works with 1Password 6 for Mac -- even though we can't recommend using a retired version of our software as any kind of long-term solution, just as we wouldn't recommend using an older version of macOS or your browser.

Must I start paying fees, or do I get to use it because I already own a license to 1Password6?

You get to use 1Password 6 for Mac if you have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac. As a completely new, full-version upgrade, however, using 1Password 7 for Mac does require either the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version OR a 1password.com membership/subscription. A standalone license is $49.99 right now, over 23% off the regular retail price of $64.99, but our recommendation for many reasons would be a 1password.com membership. An individual membership is $35.88USD/yr when paid annually, and a 1Password Families membership which allows up to five people is $59.88/yr. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so, now that I've downloaded 1Password7 into my system, how do I kill it? I'm willing to go back to 6.8.9 and just use Chrome. But the problem is now that I downloaded 7 it has evidently installed itself in ALL my browsers, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. And since its NOT functional all my passwords are hardly useable, I'm handcuffed until I pay up for some sort of 1Passwsord7 license, I guess.

When I try to Move 1Password7 to the trash, it won't go, says its "in use". Doesn't show up on the force quit list.

• If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend.

Ben

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the guidance Ben. I'm close but, It seems there's more to it than just whats in the procedure. Please advise? Thanks!

-I have abandoned Safari.
    -I deleted iPassword6 and 7 from my system. I downloaded a fresh copy of 6.8.9 from the 1Password site. Installed it. I have made Chrome my default browser.
    -When I double click on a login from the Main 1Password app I get the page I requested(within Chrome) but no data gets plugged in.
    -When I go to iPassword6 Mini, same thing, I get the page I needed but no data is inserted. There is a banner saying "Add Chrome Extension". According to Chrome, the extension is already installed. But I clicked on the Add Chrome Extension button anyway.
    -When I have the page I wanted on display in my Chrome browser, I try to use the extension button on my toolbar to fill in the data I find that it says "1Password extension (desktop app required)". I have the desktop app, right? Its 6.8.9 installed.

In Chrome, the details on my browser extension say the following

1Password extension (desktop app required)
    On
    Description
    Extends the 1Password app on your Mac or Windows PC, so you can fill and save passwords in your browser.
    Version
    Size
    < 1 MB
    Permissions
    Read your browsing history
    Communicate with cooperating native applications
    Site access
    Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit:
    On click
    On specific sites
    On all sites_(this is checked)_
    Allow in incognito
    Warning: Google Chrome cannot prevent extensions from recording your browsing history. To disable this extension in incognito mode, unselect this option.
    Open extension website
    View in Chrome Web Store
    Source
    Chrome Web Store

• @paulbartell

It is normal for the extension to show "desktop app required" (that is part of the name of the extension). But it does sound like the extension isn't communicating with the app. Have you tried removing the extension from Chrome, making sure Chrome is up to date, restarting Chrome, and then re-installing the desktop app extension?

Ben

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben I'll get on that. The current extension button yields the info below, no 1Password information at all.

BTW my Firefox extension is acting normally. I'm assuming the desktop app extension is delivered to me as part of the 6.8.9 download DMG file.

• Thanks Ben I'll get on that. The current extension button yields the info below, no 1Password information at all.

That's exactly what I see as well if I right click on the extension. Left clicking on it should open 1Password mini.

BTW my Firefox extension is acting normally. I'm assuming the desktop app extension is delivered to me as part of the 6.8.9 download DMG file.

It is actually a separate download but maybe you already have it installed? In any event, please let me know how it turns out with Chrome.

Ben

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member
    Options

Situation is resolved now. Chrome and Firefox extensions, + Mini all work the way they used to. Safari13 is on the shelf, maybe I'll dust it off in the future if I ever go to 7.

Usually I'm a keep-it-current kind of guy but in this case , but 6 is paid for and it does everything I ever wanted it to do. So far it ain't broke so I'm going to avoid fixing it.

Thanks! I do greatly appreciate your help, Ben.

• You're welcome @paulbartell. Thanks for the update. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting sick of the aggressive pushing of the for-rent ver 7. Ver 6 works fine for me, and I'll gladly pay an update fee for a a ver 6.better if it has stuff I need, or for a subscription-free ver 7/8/whatever, but I WILL NOT rent this software.

Luckily after "accidentally" installing 7 today while following a pretty misleading process when trying to update the ver 6 Safari extension, which refused to run after taking the latest macOS 10.14.6 security update from Apple, even though it fired up 7, the install of 7 left 6 and its Dropbox data in place. Now I just need to kill off 7's daemons/extensions so I can trash it truly and finally. Or change its file extension or eXecute permission to defang it; "completely quit"ting it, or however you word it in the ver 7 gear menu in Mini DID NOT do so, it seems.

You guys need to back off on the over-aggressive push to ver 7 or you're likely to face a class-action suit and a major stink. I'm still trying to help my friend whose iPhone X's version 6 has been destroyed. The lack of phone support (which EVERY OTHER major Apple eco-system supplier has) makes this an absolutely miserable exercise. We're a month in and I believe it's still crippled on her phone. Luckily the Mac cleanup is a lot easier.

Don't get me wrong, I love this software, have it on my Macs and iPhone and iPad, and have been recommending it to lots of friends, including one 2 days ago. But no longer, not until something changes and your predatory attitude to your customers is rethought.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scottyo3921:

If you don't want to subscribe to 1Password and you prefer a license, you can purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you want to continue using it with Safari :)

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting sick of the aggressive pushing of the for-rent ver 7. 6 works fine for me, I'll gladly pay an update fee for a a ver 6.better if it has stuff I need, or for a subscription-free ver 7/8/whatever, but I WILL NOT rent this software.

Luckily after "accidentally" installing 7 today while following a pretty misleading process when trying to update the ver 6 Safari extension, which refused to run after taking the latest macOS 10.14.6 security update from Apple, even though it fired up 7, the install of 7 left 6 and its Dropbox data in place. Now I just need to kill off 7's daemons/extensions so I can trash it truly and finally. Or change its file extension or eXecute permission to defang it; completely quitting it, or however you word it in the ver 7 gear menu in Mini DID NOT do so, it seems.

You guys need to back off on the over-aggressive push to ver 7 or you're likely to face a class-action suit and a major stink. I'm still trying to help my friend whose iPhone X's version 6 has been destroyed. The lack of phone support (which EVERY OTHER major Apple eco-system supplier has) makes this an absolutely miserable exercise. We're a month in and I believe it's still crippled on her phone. Luckily the Mac cleanup is a lot easier.

Don't get me wrong, I love this software, have it on my Macs and iPhone and iPad, and have been recommending it to lots of friends, including one 2 days ago. But no longer, not until something changes and your predatory attitude to your customers is rethought.

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

I'll continue using 1P ver 6 from outside Safari, copy/pasting it into Safari as needed. I DO NOT want ver 7, due to its rent-only approach.

I do understand the difficulty when Apple obsoletes your extension with a new Safari API, and I sympathize to some degree with your desire not to take on the dev/support load of updating the ver 6 extension (though , as an ethical supplier I'd hope you would), but I strongly disagree with your practice of ambushing customers by having innocuous-seeming patches for older revs install the new rev. Most Mac users don't know what to do at that point. On iOS, even I don't know what to do diue to the opaque nature of iOS workings.

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, last time I went looking for a one-time purchase ver 7 licence, it was incredibly hard to find. I had the sense you were discouraging its purchase, and decided not to play your game.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scottyo3921 - again, standalone licenses like the ones we've all purchased for 1Password in the past, are still available for 1Password 7 for Mac. If you'd like to purchase a standalone license instead of subscribe to a 1password.com account, you can do that. Just click the Read Only badge in the top-right corner of any of your data in the main 1Password 7 for Mac window, and you'll get the Purchase Options window, where you'll be able to choose a standalone license, like this:

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance. You're obviously free to do as you wish, but we can't recommend intentionally staying behind on a retired version of 1Password (or any of the rest of your security software, including macOS and your browsers) as a viable, long-term security strategy.

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the pointer, but as I mentioned, I'm not using ver 7, and have deleted it from my Macs. Where can I find it on your website? It doesn't appear on the home page, and Pricing shows only subscription prices.

Do you have list of clicks for me to get there (sending me a direct link implies to me that it IS pretty obscure, and would resolve none of my concerns)?

• @scottyo3921

From the 1Password.com homepage click "Downloads":

Once you've installed 1Password 7 for Mac you'll get the screen that Lars posted a screenshot of above.

Ben

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

Still pretty obscure, since it doesn't seem to say anywhere that this is a one-time license version, rather than a subscription version. The download itself is just named 1Password-7.3.2.pkg , with no indication whether it's a subscription version or otherwise.

So is it a subscription version?

Is there a difference in code between the one-time licence versions and the subscription versiosn, or does the type of licence purchased/subscribed to determine the difference between modes of licensing in the same code?

Is the same true on iOS?

Getting stuck on 7 in iOS with a subscription-only version that was incompatible with a one-time licence version on Mac would be a serious problem for me, as it is for my friend Tokiko.

Let me make this clear: it's the obscure and exploitive nature of AgileBits' website and other info that is incurring my negativity. If everything were clearly marked and easily found, compatibilities clearly expressed, as it should be, I would have no complaint. But you seem to relentlessly push the subscription despite clearly expressed customer preferences.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scottyo3921:

Still pretty obscure, since it doesn't seem to say anywhere that this is a one-time license version, rather than a subscription version.

The app is the same.

Is there a difference in code between the one-time licence versions and the subscription versiosn, or does the type of licence purchased/subscribed to determine the difference between modes of licensing in the same code?

Whether you pay with a subscription or with a license is chosen based on how you configure the app. The app itself is the same.

Is the same true on iOS?

The iOS app is free and acts as a companion app.

• scottyo3921
    scottyo3921
    Community Member
    Options

The app is the same.

Thank you! This is the first time I've seen this useful info clearly and unequivocally expressed.

Now, one last pair of questions, and if the answers are satisfactory, I'll buy a one-time licence and start using ver 7:

• If I use ver 7 on my Macs, will it keep the ver 6 secure data intact so I can return to 6 if I have problems with 7? I don't want to have to restore a bunch of stuff from backup.

• Same question for iOS/iPadOS, will I be able to go back to 6 with my secure data intact, and is the reversion process published somewhere, so I don't have to dig it out of Support email-by-email?

Note that I use DropBox currently, but since now only one Apple ID needs access (was two of us before), I could go to iCloud instead.

• Ben
    Options

If I use ver 7 on my Macs, will it keep the ver 6 secure data intact so I can return to 6 if I have problems with 7? I don't want to have to restore a bunch of stuff from backup.

Yes.

Same question for iOS/iPadOS, will I be able to go back to 6 with my secure data intact, and is the reversion process published somewhere, so I don't have to dig it out of Support email-by-email?

It isn't possible to revert to earlier versions of iOS apps at all (this is true of all iOS apps, not just 1Password). I'd be surprised if you are currently running v6 on your iOS devices though. Those are much more likely to already be running v7 as it was a free upgrade on that platform.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Jim A Syler

Is it possible? Yes. Can we recommend doing it? No. You would lose out on most of the benefits of having 1Password Families by doing so and end up with a fairly complex configuration.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.