Using 1Password on both a Chromebook and Mac

I hope this is the right section of the forum for this.

I've been using the the desktop app on my Mac accompanied by the Chrome extension for a long time. I just got a Chromebook and 1Password X seems to be the best (only?) option to use on it.

Problem is, extensions are uniform across Chrome on both devices since I'm signed into the same Google account. So when I enable the 1Password X extension on my Chromebook, it also enables it in Chrome on my Mac and that causes the desktop extension to be automatically disabled since I guess you can't run both at the same time.

How can I continue using the desktop app on the Mac while using 1Password X on the Chromebook?

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

Hey @slacker074! If I were in your position, I'd disable the sync of Chrome extensions between devices. There are times where I'm a fan of that feature, but I tend to disable it myself since it's easy enough to install my preferred extensions on a new device without too much hassle - especially since you'll only need to do it once when you first set it up. Here's how to adjust those settings:

1. Click the three dots on the top right side of Chrome, then click Settings.
    2. At the top, under "People," click Sync and Google Services.
    3. Click Manage Sync.
    4. Disable Extensions.

You also may find that you prefer the experience of 1Password X and use that on your Mac as well.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hey @kaitlyn. That would probably work.

If I disable sync for extensions after the fact, do you know know if the installed extensions will disappear from the Chromebook? If not, for future devices, I could just enable sync for extensions initially and then disable it after they're installed onto the new device, right?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@slacker074 – That's a really good question. I wasn't confident enough to answer, so I tested it out and you're totally right. You can enable sync, then disable it, and the extensions remain installed on the new device. Good thinking!

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

Sweet. Thank you.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

No problem! If anything else comes up, feel free to reach back out. :)

This discussion has been closed.