Family member cannot open 1Password7 application, but can log in on 1password.com

jeffreyrneal
jeffreyrneal
Community Member

My husband and I have been using 1Password6. I signed up for a family membership and invited him to join. He responded, I confirmed. He downloaded and installed 1Password 7. He can access the family account on his iPad, iPhone and one 1password.com. On the Mac the app keeps asking for the password. It does not accept the password, even though it works fine on iOS and 1password.com. I tried changing the password. The new password works fine on everything but the 1Password 7 application. I cannot get past the screen on 1Password 7 that tells me to enter the password to enable TouchID. At this point the app on the Mac is useless. I tried deleting version 7 and reinstalling 6. The password works fine with that. Reinstalled 7 and getting the same error.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jeffreyrneal

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you please check the devices that are working for the presence of a vault named "Primary"? Do any of those devices have such a vault? Please let me know.

Ben

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

The devices that are working can access the Primary vault from V6 and the vault for the family account

• Okay, that's the problem. There should be no "Primary" vault. The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. So right now you're able to unlock some of the devices because you're using the Master Password of that (legacy) Primary vault. That isn't the same password as the password for 1Password.com. We need the latter in order to move forward. If you look in the Personal vault there should be a login item for 1Password.com that has the correct Master Password on it. Do you see that?

Please let me know.

Ben

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

The passwords for the primary from V6 is the same that we set up for V7

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

I tried deleting his account from the family account, then deleted V7. I also changed his password and made the family account password different from the one for his V6 account. Then I added him back to the family account and went through the confirmation process. _downloaded the 1Password 7 application on his Mac. When I try to open V7 it wants the master password. I tried the new master password for family account. Doesn't work. tried the new family account master password. Doesn't work. I can't get into his Primary vault on his Mac because 1Password does not accept any password.

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

And I tried the password for the primary vault that was used for V6. That doesn't work either

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffreyrneal: It won't be possible to unlock the 1Password app with a Primary vault setup in it without entering the correct password for that Primary vault.

Are they able to sign into 1Password.com in their web browser and have all their data there? If so, they can just reset the app and set it up with their account.

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

I am entering the right password for that vault. It won’t accept it. I don’t trust resetting the app and losing 400 passwords

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

I know it is the right password because it works with V6.

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

I am about ready to give up on 1Password entirely. The only way we can make it work on my husband’s Mac is to use 1Password 6. That works fine. I deleted 7, reinstalled 6, and it works. Then I install 7, and it says I have to enter the master password to enable Touch ID. I enter the password that worked fine in 1Password 6. It fails. Delete it and go back to 1Password 6 and it works. 1Password 7 works fine on my Mac. I upgraded to it yesterday with no problems. I know what the password is for the old vault. The new version simply will not accept it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am entering the right password for that vault. It won’t accept it. I don’t trust resetting the app and losing 400 passwords

@jeffreyrneal: It is not. 1Password doesn't care what the password is. It's merely using it as an input to decrypt the data. So only the one used originally to encrypt the data will work.

I don't want you or anyone else to lose data either, which is why I asked the following:

Are they able to sign into 1Password.com in their web browser and have all their data there?

Please let me know.

I know it is the right password because it works with V6.

They are separate apps with their own data, so they will not necessarily open with the same master Password.

I am about ready to give up on 1Password entirely. The only way we can make it work on my husband’s Mac is to use 1Password 6. That works fine. I deleted 7, reinstalled 6, and it works. Then I install 7, and it says I have to enter the master password to enable Touch ID. I enter the password that worked fine in 1Password 6. It fails. Delete it and go back to 1Password 6 and it works. 1Password 7 works fine on my Mac. I upgraded to it yesterday with no problems. I know what the password is for the old vault. The new version simply will not accept it.

If the answer to my question above is "yes", then this is your solution:

If so, they can just reset the app and set it up with their account.

Then you need only setup 1Password 7 by signing into the account there.

If, however, there is data you need which is only in a local vault in 1Password 6 at present, let me know and I'll give you next steps. Thanks!

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

His data is in a primary vault synced via iCloud.

If he signs in on 1Password.com, the data is there.

If he tries to add the new account on iOS it is giving an error message.

I can’t reset the app on his Mac because the app does not get past the screen to enter the password.

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

I tried deleting everything and then adding the account in 1Password 6. Then I reinstalled 7 and got it to work.

• @jeffreyrneal

If he signs in on 1Password.com, the data is there.

That's perfect, and as it should be. Please make sure he prints a copy of his Emergency Kit and writes in the Master Password he uses to sign into 1Password.com on that sheet:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Then he should be able to uninstall & reinstall 1Password for iOS, and use the information from the Emergency Kit to sign in.

I can’t reset the app on his Mac because the app does not get past the screen to enter the password.

You can reset from the lock screen. The option to do so is in the menu bar, at the very to of your monitor (the bar with the  logo and the clock). Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

I tried deleting everything and then adding the account in 1Password 6. Then I reinstalled 7 and got it to work.

Thanks for the update. Please double check that now that you've done that none of the devices have a Primary vault on them.

Ben

• jeffreyrneal
    jeffreyrneal
    Community Member

Everything is working now. None of the devices are using the primary vault. Thanks for the help in getting it working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.