Divorce: Migrating personal vault from a family account to an individual account

NewDawn
NewDawn
Community Member

I'm in the process of a divorce. My soon to be ex-husband set up our family account several years ago. I've received notice that the recent CC on file has been declined. Regardless if/when he decides to renew, I would like to migrate my personal data into my own separate account and have complete control of my own data.

We have a shared vault for our 13yo's passwords that he can access (though I don't think he has) and a shared vault of his passwords that he cannot.

How do I go about this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member

Hey @NewDawn,

In order for you to move your data to a personal account, you need to sign up for a membership of your own and then you need to copy your data to your new account.
    Here's a useful link that explains how you can do so: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Hope that was helpful :)

• NewDawn
    NewDawn
    Community Member

Sorry, @Yulka1355 , it's not really that helpful at all.

The suggestion you linked to appears to be a solution for moving individual logins within one account to new vaults within that SAME account. This does not address my problem in the slightest.

• NewDawn
    NewDawn
    Community Member

@Ben Could you or another 1Password staff help me with this? I have created a new account and I'm quite concerned that STBX will cause me some big headaches if this does not get resolved quickly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NewDawn:

The suggestion you linked to appears to be a solution for moving individual logins within one account to new vaults within that SAME account. This does not address my problem in the slightest.

The article also works to move items from one account to a different account :)

Once you have signed up for your own account, please add it to your 1Password app alongside your existing 1Password Families account. At that point, you will be able to move data from your old account to your new account, as per Yulka1355's suggestion :)

• NewDawn
    NewDawn
    Community Member

For whatever reason when I use the Chrome App or the browser on Windows it actually only shows an option to move between the same account to a different vault; there is absolutely not an option move from my family account to my new individual one. The Windows app I downloaded wouldn't open at all, no matter which Master Password I used.

After bashing my head against the wall a bunch, I finally got the bright idea to also link them on my iPhone. Only there does it appear that I can move items between accounts.

That said, please tell me there is a way to do them all at once and I will not need to move hundreds of items individually.

• NewDawn
    NewDawn
    Community Member

Here you can see what options I am given when I follow the Move/Copy instructions.

Here you can see I can access both my old family and my new individual account. I'm just not being given the option to move items from one account to another.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NewDawn:

I see that you are trying to do this from the website, but this is not possible: on the website you can only move items from one vault to another in the same account, as you discovered. The article we shared with you has instructions on how to do this in the desktop apps, which is what you will need to use in order to move items from one vault to another in a different account.

From the screenshots you shared, it looks like you have both of your accounts added to the iOS app already, so you could do it from there if you wish. Here are the instructions to do this on iOS for your convenience.

The Windows app I downloaded wouldn't open at all, no matter which Master Password I used.

This is a separate issue: you probably configured the Windows app in the past with a different account or a different local vault. We can get the app reset if you wish, so you can do this on Windows if you prefer.

Just let us know what your preferred device to do this is and we can do it there :)

• NewDawn
    NewDawn
    Community Member

I was able to move them in the iOS app, thank you, and figured out on my own that there was a way to do it in bulk. Why isn't this mentioned as an option in the Move/Copy instructions that were linked to?

It is pretty frustrating to not have the online help support (website and in this forum) not be more clear on specific steps needed to be taken and what works and what doesn't. Clearly, you know that the website won't work, but no where above did anyone mention it. The instructions you did provide I followed and when I clicked on "Get the Apps" one of the options was the Chrome App. That this method works does not work from the website (using the Chrome app) should be clear from the help instructions.

The help and instructions should be more clear on what the actual steps are and what works and what doesn't.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NewDawn:

I was able to move them in the iOS app, thank you, and figured out on my own that there was a way to do it in bulk. Why isn't this mentioned as an option in the Move/Copy instructions that were linked to?

It's mentioned there in point 2:

Select the items. You can select all the items in the list using the checkbox above the list.

There is also a screenshot next to it on that documentation page we linked to:

And thank you for the feedback! We are always looking at ways to improve both 1Password and the documentation, so any ideas to help us improve are always appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.