How do I enable the MacOS app after password recovery?

RCross1
RCross1
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Families

I’ve gone through the password recovery for my Son’s account, and he can now log in with the iOS app; however, when he launches the MacOS app, he’s simply prompted for the Master Account password - there seems to be no way to change the Secret Key (which of course has changed).

Under Preferences > Accounts, I tried clicking the ‘+’ button, but nothing happens, it’s as if the button is disabled.

Do I need to completely remove the app from his MacBook and start again? If so, how do I completely remove the app?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RCross1! Welcome to the forum!

After entering the Master Password, your Son should see a prompt to update the account information. Have you tried unlocking the app once?

Under Preferences > Accounts, I tried clicking the ‘+’ button, but nothing happens, it’s as if the button is disabled.

Is the 1Password app locked by chance? Those options only become available once the app has been unlocked.

• RCross1
    RCross1
    Community Member

The new Master Password is simply rejected by the MacOS app, even though it works fine in the iOS app on his iPad. And obviously we don’t know the previous Master Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RCross1:

Thank you for the information. In this case, you will have to reset the 1Password app first. After doing it, you will be able to login to the 1Password account with the new credentials.

This discussion has been closed.